Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic with i7-4790K & Z97N; Was Working With i7-4790

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it may help with specific software issue, but for the 4790ks you should use the lateset gigabyte beta bios updates. They fix a LOT of bugs with the 4790k cpu and system stability in general with them. They are new and cutting edge and you need a cutting edge bios to really give them their footing.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

I can tell you the F10c bios on the OC force is most stable bios I've ever had. Even for my 4770k. It's first bios version that let me clock my memory at 2133mhz without kernel panics. Also reading through thread the beta bios fix some bugs with 4790k (devils canyon) as you can read here
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-929.html#post484421

So, I am having the same problem, 4790k w/GA-Z97N-Wifi if I turn on Turbo Boost all I get is the Keystore hang. Also, if I turn on K OC is just immediately reboots. I have tried a ton of different System Definitions to see if that would help.

The thing that I don't understand is that sometimes it has worked as I've reinstalled and played with preferences.

Hi,

Again, Warning, I am on an 8 series board NOT a 9 series. This is on a Z87X-UD5H BIOS v F9

I got mine working with a caveat that this has left me with a cpu that scales up to 4.4 with steps in between. Not a cpu that sits at 4.0 and boosts to 4.4. skirk08 helped me along the way with the boot.plist changes and combined with the BIOS changes I made and some work, all is good.

Now is this is the right way/ the wrong way/ a workaround/ a good-ole-hack? I do not know! But it's working for me.

So I got 4.4 by doing this,

Again, if I leave the CPU at 4.0 in the BIOS and Turbo-Boost to Auto for 4.4ghz I cannot boot with the keystore hang.

However, once I did this I got 4.4 and proper steps in between.

1)Followed THIS GUIDE to the letter....I mean every single step! I installed the kext linked there just fine and very carefully worked through the steps. ssdtPRGen.sh may be your answer...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

AT the FIRST REBOOT stage...

2) In BIOS Set Turbo Boost to Enabled NOT Auto, I then left cores 1 and 2 at Auto and manually changed cores 3 and 4 to 44.

3) Booted 10.9.4 and created SSDT using the guide in step 1

4) Ensure that Drop SSDT, P States No and C States No was in my bootplist as per skirk08's suggestion.

Viola! 4.4ghz and proper multipliers in-between. Use the Intel tool as both skirk08 and the guide suggested to me, HW Monitor is very occasionally giving some wildly inaccurate readings for now. Whilst I'd appreciate a 79,000Thz chip which flashed up in HW Monitor once, I'm fairly sure my new CPU isn't that good a clocker. Inter Power Tool gave me accurate readings...

View attachment 97445

Good luck! Read, re-read. Read again. That link I posted plus an hours work worked around the problem for me. :headbang:

This worked fantastic for me. I had to reinstall multibeast again oddly then everything just worked with this.

So, I am having the same problem, 4790k w/GA-Z97N-Wifi if I turn on Turbo Boost all I get is the Keystore hang. Also, if I turn on K OC is just immediately reboots. I have tried a ton of different System Definitions to see if that would help.

The thing that I don't understand is that sometimes it has worked as I've reinstalled and played with preferences.

Hi,

I am pretty sure your problem is with the SSDT. Did you try the hackaround method I posted, making sure you set Turbo to Enabled but manually setting cores 3 and 4 to 44 at step 2 I outlined in the method?

Also make sure Generate C and P states = No and Drop SSDT=Yes are in the plist.

I don't know if I'm allowed to upload an SSDT, If I am, you can have a copy of mine if you are using a i7-4790k, maybe a Mod will let me know.

I am using iMac 14,2 definition I believe,

Good luck.

Amblin

Also make sure Generate C and P states = No and Drop SSDT=Yes are in the plist.
Drop SSDT=Yes; bad advice for 9 Series.
ACPI table processing fails resulting in a KP and reboot. Links from native dsdt to ssdts must be preserved for successful boot. For PM ssdt, add SSDT.aml to Chimera/Extra or Clover/ACPI/patched, no boot flag.

Drop SSDT=Yes; bad advice for 9 Series.
ACPI table processing fails resulting in a KP and reboot. Links from native dsdt to ssdts must be preserved for successful boot. For PM ssdt, add SSDT.aml to Chimera/Extra or Clover/ACPI/patched, no boot flag.

Thanks for pointing this out Toleda :thumbup:

I did explain/warn that I was using an 8 series board. Now Toleda has offered better advice, perhaps my SSDT is of little use to you. :?:

Perhaps he can advise us, if he thinks it'll work, I'll upload for you. I don't want it to break anything your end.

Amblin

So I also just built a new system and am also getting the kernel panic when I have turbo enabled. Disabled the turbo and it works fine, now I'm just trying to find a solution to get turbo working. When it is on I can do pretty much anything but put a serious load on the CPU. I've seen similar threads in a few different forums and nobody seems to have an answer yet and several people appear to be having the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back