Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic with i7-4790K & Z97N; Was Working With i7-4790

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it working again without any flags. It seems that Multibeast is in fact causing an issue. I did a clean install again, installed the ethernet and audio kexts, and got it to boot (a trick in it's own). I migrated over a time machine backup, and so far I'm up and running. I'm afraid to restart it though, as it's my work computer and I've got a pretty busy day. I'll probably restart it this evening.

I did see that 10.9.4 was released today. I wonder if that would help? I'm too chicken at this point to try anything.

The problem more than likely lies in the SSDT that is being installed with Multibeast. Install NullCPU when running Unibeast until the SSDTs are updated to work with the much higher clocks of this new chip and see if that works.

Do you mean Multibeast? If so, I just now installed NullCPU with multibeast, re-enabled Turbo Boost and it still panicked. I was hoping that was the fix.

I did see that 10.9.4 was released today. I wonder if that would help? I'm too chicken at this point to try anything.

Oh nice, hopefully there will be some improvements for us included in 10.9.4

I've been trying to install the new "Y" mountain preview via Clover as well, similar but different errors. Installation goes fine. Post installation boot errors.

So the 10.9.4 beta has references to new iMac models:

Mac-81E3E92DD6088272.plist / iMac15,1 (IGPU only)
Mac-42FD25EABCABB274.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE03)
Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE03)

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/30/apple-releases-10-9-4/

System definition of iMac15,1 might align nicely with our hardware

So the 10.9.4 beta has references to new iMac models:

Mac-81E3E92DD6088272.plist / iMac15,1 (IGPU only)
Mac-42FD25EABCABB274.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE03)
Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5.plist / iMac15,n (IGPU/GFX0/Apple display with id 0xAE03)

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/30/apple-releases-10-9-4/

System definition of iMac15,1 might align nicely with our hardware

Interesting...I've never changed my system definition from Mac Pro 3,1.

I wonder if the 4690K would be any better than this chip. My old system was rock solid (i5-3570k, Z77X-UD5H) and now I miss it :)

New update. I got more errors and boot problems, so I just made a new Unibeast flash drive using 10.9.4. It actually works really well so far. I installed the ethernet kext again (I'm waiting on audio to rule out issues with the ethernet kext), re-migrated my 150GB of data over for the 5th time today (thank God for USB 3.0), and have rebooted my system at least 10 times. So far so good.

New update. I got more errors and boot problems, so I just made a new Unibeast flash drive using 10.9.4. It actually works really well so far. I installed the ethernet kext again (I'm waiting on audio to rule out issues with the ethernet kext), re-migrated my 150GB of data over for the 5th time today (thank God for USB 3.0), and have rebooted my system at least 10 times. So far so good.

So do you think this 4790K chip is good to go? Have you tried different definitions other than 3,1?

So do you think this 4790K chip is good to go? Have you tried different definitions other than 3,1?

I think it could work well. I mean, it definitely works solidly for some period of time (e.g. through a clean install, kext installations, Time Machine migrations, then multiple purposeful restarts), which seems to indicate that, if the software and settings where correct, it would work. It definitely CAN work. My Z97 mobo could also be an issue, since it's not supported either. Of course, I've only started working on this system for a couple days, so time will tell.

I haven't tried any other system definitions other than 3,1, simply because I've read that it's the most stable and I need my machine for work on a daily basis (working today from a 13" rMBP was very hard when I've gotten used to a 27" 1440p display). I've been curious as to whether or not 6,1 would work better simply because I'm using new hardware, but if my system stays operational I don't want to keep messing with it.

Update from me, updated to 10.9.4 without problems. I have just 3rd part SATA drivers installed from multibeast and its been working for me since saturday. I Dont dare to try installing the bootloader again so im using the unibeast USB as bootloader atm. As i still got some kernel panics when i tried to boot 10.9.3 i have seen none of that since update :)

I still think chimera did something that amde my hackintosh not boot before so im keeping off of that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back