Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
Intel HD530
I should have known better but I upgraded from 10.12.4 to 10.12.6 and now I'm getting a kernel panic. I boot off the NVMe drive. I originally installed this to an SSD and cloned the image to the NVMe. I'm not sure where to start here with fixing this. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a screen cap of the kernel panic screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 307
I should have known better but I upgraded from 10.12.4 to 10.12.6 and now I'm getting a kernel panic. I boot off the NVMe drive. I originally installed this to an SSD and cloned the image to the NVMe. I'm not sure where to start here with fixing this. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a screen cap of the kernel panic screen.
Looks like USB kext is causing KP. Try disabling USB3 in bios EFI.

As far as NVMe is concerned, have you updated the NVMe kext or have you inserted the proper Pike R. Alpha edits for NVMe into Clover kextstopatch?

if you had done the 'spoof' option re the hack kext, you should be ok there. as for updating a cloned boot nvme in sierra...i had no luck with it, though the beta 3 of high sierra went flawless (from beta 2 high sierra nvme apfs boot volume, originally cloned to nvme from sata install).

Last edited:
Looks like USB kext is causing KP. Try disabling USB3 in bios EFI.

As far as NVMe is concerned, have you updated the NVMe kext or have you inserted the proper Pike R. Alpha edits for NVMe into Clover kextstopatch?

Hmmmmm...didn't even think of that. Doh. Thank you for the suggestion, it's appreciated. I was just stuck and I keep my data on a separate drive so I just blew it away and started over. I tried a USB stick w/ Multibeast and 10.12.6, initial install went ok but trying to then boot off the new install did not work (booting off an SSD, not the NVMe). So I went back to my 10.12.4 USB stick and it worked without issue. So I'm still at 10.12.4. :/

I used the procedure outlined below to get NVMe to work. I install everything on an SSD, get everything working, enable the NVME via the link below, and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the SSD to the NVMe.

https://nickwoodhams.com/getting-your-nvme-ssd-working-on-macos-sierra-10-12-2/

if you had done the 'spoof' option re the hack kext, you should be ok there. as for updating a cloned boot nvme in sierra...i had no luck with it, though the beta 3 of high sierra went flawless (from beta 2 high sierra nvme apfs boot volume, originally cloned to nvme from sata install).

What's the "spoof" option?

See link in above post for what I did to get my NVMe drive working, assuming the `spoof` option has to do with NVMe and not something else.

Here's the steps I go through during install. For a fresh install, I do it to an SSD as the NVMe doesn't show as an available drive.

BIOS settings
1. Go into BIOS settings
2. Navigate to Save&Exit tab and Load Optimized Defaults
3. Under M.I.T. tab [optional, NOT needed to get macOS running]
a. I navigate to advanced frequency settings ->CPU Upgrade ->4.2Ghz (simple way to overclock- lets BIOS do all the settings)
b. Under M.I.T. Tab -> Extreme Memory Profile (X.H.P.) select Profile1​
5. BIOS Features Tab
a.Fast Boot Disabled
b. Windows 8/10 Features -> Other OS
c. Storage Boot option control -> UEFI Only
d. Other PCI Device ROM Priority -> UEFI Only​
6. Peripherals Tab
a. Initial Display Output ->PCIe 1 slot
b. Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
c. XHCI Hand-off ->Enabled
d. Port 60/64 emulation -> enabled
e. Now go to Super IO Configuration -> Serial Port 1 -> Disabled​
7.Chipset Tab
a. Vt-d ->Disabled
b. Internal Graphics-> Auto
c. Audio Controller -> Enabled​
8. Power Management [solved shutdown issue]
a. ErP -> Disabled
b. Platform Power Management -> Disabled​
8. Save and Exit- save the profile and then save and exit

MultiBeast
1. Quick Start- UEFI Boot Mode
2. Drivers
a. Audio -> Realtek ALC1150 and 100 series Audio Selected
b. Disk -> 3rd party SATA
c. Misc -> FakeSMC Plugins and HWMonitor selected
d. Network -> Atheros E220Ehternet v2.2.0
e. USB 7/8/9 series usb support (all ports work), Increase Max Port Limit​
3. Bootloaders -> Clover v2.3K r3423 UEFI
4. Customize
a. Graphics config -> Intel HD530 (as I don't have a graphics card yet)
b. SSDT - nothing selected
c. System definition ->iMac 14,2​

Clover
1.) Acpi->FixShutdown

Next, get audio working and then get hdmi audio working.
Used this to install HDMI audio patch: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-automatic-hdmi-audio-script-released.184867/
Reboot and check to make sure audio is working. HDMI audio will not show yet.
No idea why, but I in the config.plist, I had to manually set UseIntelHDMI to true and then HDMI audio showed in my Audio MIDI Setup list
<key>Devices</key>
<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
<true/>

No idea why the above works, according to this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-script-released.184867/page-18#post-1478206, I should NOT be setting UseIntelHDMI to true.

Upgrade Clover to whatever latest is.

Install other apps I use (iTerm2, printer stuff, etc), reboot a couple times to make sure it works, then enable the NVMe using the procedure in the link in previous post and clone the SSD via Carbon Copy. Then I boot off the NVMe and wipe out the SSD and use it for a data drive.

Last edited:
yep, and even a clean install of high sierra. i'm still using my 'old' spoof hack kext from sierra 10.12.5. used for upgrade and then 10.13.x on up. see my comments in that link you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back