Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic on Catalina fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
@siachori Like I have mentioned in post description, system is booting in safe mode ( -x argument in clover booting option), and after boot in safe mode there is a message and logs about kernel panic in previous boot, this is how I got kernel panic logs in txt format.

Safe mode (-x) does not work for me ... thanks for info?
Which path for panic or log files?

@siachori All panic and sleep failure logs are stored in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

@Sasha44 I cannot say I know the actual reason, but I would go out to speculate this has something to do with APFS evolving. El Capitan and Sierra were based on a HFS+ file system and High Sierra had an option to cancel the conversion to apfs - not sure about Mojave.

I don't think memory management has anything to do with it, I think it is just the DRAM buffer in the SSD. My best guess is that some SSD controllers just don't play well with macOS and that is that. After all, they only develop with a small amount of hardware in mind, so we need to play around that and not the other way around.

I would be interested to know if it works well with a Samsung EVO drive.

happy hacking!
littlegreen

@littlegreen TL;DR With totally new Samsung EVO 860 250GB nothing changed same Kernel Panic on each boot.

I think problem is not in SSD, even if on HDD system works without problems.
I suspect that problem is in SSDT-EC.aml this is the only major change in my CLOVER configuration comparing to Mojave config, but it's only a guess.

I am very disappointed, and don't know what to do next, 3 months without my main system is very painful.
Also cable of my power adapter have broke and I cannot charge my laptop at the moment.
No working system, no working power adapter, "Lucky of me".

@Sasha44

The kernel panic did suggest something to do with a hard drive / ssd.
I don't know what patches SSDT-EC.aml applies for you - have you tried to remove it?

As I said in the beginning - I am by no means an expert, but for me it just has to be either the physical device itself, or something clashing between your SSDT patches and your SATA kext

Found that in order to get rid of SSDT-EC.aml I should add to my initial config.plist
Code:
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>PNP0C09 to PNPFFFF</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>QdAMCQ==</data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>QdD//w==</data>
                </dict>

But even without SSDT-EC.aml and any other DSDT.aml or SSDT.aml patches same kernel panic on each boot.
Have no more ideas what to try next. All information in network indicates that problem is related to ssd but at the moment I am using new Samsung EVO 860 250GB which should perfectly work with mac OS Catalina.
@RehabMan please help, need some hints in what direction to move in order to solve problem.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
SOLVED

Found some tricky solution for my problem. In single user mode (-s argument in booting option) I have mounted boot drive for read/write operations (/sbin/mount -uw /) and delete pmtelemetry.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.
At first boot after removing pmtelemetry.kext boot logs showed that IGPU failed to initialize graphics firmware, but after reboot, everything works fine without graphics glitches.

Even now I don't know why pmtelemetry.kext causes kernel panic but at least I can use system.
If somebody have some ideas why pmtelemetry.kext causes kernel panic for my config and hardware, please share your thoughts.

@littlegreen thanks one more time for support. At the moment I don't know if removing of pmtelemetry.kext will not cause some problems in future but I will monitor system behavior and share if something will go wrong.

As a result I spent 4 months and approximately 70$-80$ for new ssd (even if problem was not in my default ssd) and hdd caddy, but Hackintosh is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back