i5 3.2 ghz
Graphics
Nvidia 550 ti 1g
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
image.jpg

Looking for help to diagnose my kernel panic on a lion i stall using chimera. Many thanks guys

Why do you want to stay with Lion when it's no longer supported. You can download El Capitan or Sierra for free from the MAS
(Mac App Store) If you have a working Snow Leopard install the El Cap download will work, Sierra won't. You'd need to get El Cap installed first then download Sierra.

Why do you want to stay with Lion when it's no longer supported. You can download El Capitan or Sierra for free from the MAS
(Mac App Store) If you have a working Snow Leopard install the El Cap download will work, Sierra won't. You'd need to get El Cap installed first then download Sierra.
Probably because the only path to 10.8 and later is through 10.7. You have to be running 10.7 to download from the MAS any of the later versions.

Probably because the only path to 10.8 and later is through 10.7. You have to be running 10.7 to download from the MAS any of the later versions.
Lion or newer is only a requirement to download Sierra. Snow Leopard is a requirement for Lion through El Capitan.
Apple has made El Capitan available again so that those still on Snow Leopard could download El Capitan, install it and then upgrade to Sierra. It's all spelled out here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

So this way buying Lion and installing it is not required. El Cap is free to download for any Mac capable of running S.L. that is mid 2007 or newer. Was very kind of Apple to do that so people wouldn't have to buy and download Lion first. With about 220 Billion in cash they can afford to do this. Heck, they could reduce the prices of Macs enough so that hackintoshing would no longer be cheaper than buying an Apple built Mac. Would not be good for this community. I'd assume people would still build their own but the numbers here would dwindle. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Lion or newer is only a requirement to download Sierra. Snow Leopard is a requirement for Lion through El Capitan.
Apple has made El Capitan available again so that those still on Snow Leopard could download El Capitan, install it and then upgrade to Sierra. It's all spelled out here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886
Was not aware thet had made El Capitan available for free - too busy with work and home improvements to keep up. Got a lot of catching up to do looks like!

So this way buying Lion and installing it is not required. El Cap is free to download for any Mac capable of running S.L. that is mid 2007 or newer. Was very kind of Apple to do that so people wouldn't have to buy and download Lion first. With about 220 Billion in cash they can afford to do this. Heck, they could reduce the prices of Macs enough so that hackintoshing would no longer be cheaper than buying an Apple built Mac. Would not be good for this community. I'd assume people would still build their own but the numbers here would dwindle. Not likely to happen anytime soon.
Thanks guys i would love to upgrade but the issue currently is i dont have a working mac to do so. So i was hoping to fix the current build, and hopefully without the original boot thumb due to it being missing. Let me know guys everything i have read this far is indicating ill need that

Thanks guys i would love to upgrade but the issue currently is i dont have a working mac to do so. So i was hoping to fix the current build, and hopefully without the original boot thumb due to it being missing. Let me know guys everything i have read this far is indicating ill need that
Making sure I have it right:
You currently have a Clarkdale CPU, socket 1156 build running SL and you want to upgrade.
Is this right?

Making sure I have it right:
You currently have a Clarkdale CPU, socket 1156 build running SL and you want to upgrade.
Is this right?
Yes that is correct. Probably to el cap

Yes that is correct. Probably to el cap
Are you able to download El Capitan? If yes, go ahead and do that and create an El Capitan Legacy USB installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back