Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS X299 Sage/10g
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
I'm having a Kernel Panic and I'm not sure how to get around this. If I turn off USB 3.0 completely in BIOS I can boot into OSX fine... but on my board I only have USB 3.0 ports, so this is not an option.

How can I fix this? anyone know? KP attached.

Board is ASUS x99-E WS.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160830_231457.jpg
    IMG_20160830_231457.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 289
Have you tried CalDigit kext (for ASMedia chip)?
Have you tried MacPro 3,1?

Look at this guide --> http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/yosemite-10-10-5-aug25-pdf.148474/

PS. You do have 4 x usb 2.0/1.1 port connections on MB (which use X99 chip) - check the manual for location.
CalDigit kext? I have not tried that. I have a CalDigit TB hub installed (although it's never recognized), so is the kext already installed?
Haven't tried MacPro 3,1. Why would that help? I have ECC ram and a Xeon chip.

Thanks for the reply

MacPro 3,1 is most generic as it allows most varied configurations. Just give it a try!

You'll find CalDigit.kext by googling (it's not installed on your system unless you have done it youself). It does not help you with USB 3 ports that are tied to X99, only ASMedia.

CalDigit kext? I have not tried that. I have a CalDigit TB hub installed (although it's never recognized), so is the kext already installed?
Haven't tried MacPro 3,1. Why would that help? I have ECC ram and a Xeon chip.

Thanks for the reply
If you have ECC RAM and a Xeon use the Mac Pro6,1 System Definition.

I am having similar kernel panics in IOUSBFamily.kext on my real Mac Pro 3,1

I ordered this USB 3 card from AliExpress for US $16.99 and installed a on my Mac Pro. The card has a ASM1142 chip and should be supported in macOS. El Capitan recognizes the card and uses the AppleUSBXHCI.kext driver.

Mac Pro USB3.jpg

I have also installed Linux and the rEFInd boot manager on the system. I get a kernel panic when I try to boot El Capitan through the rEFInd boot menu. If I boot El Capitan through the Option key boot menu, El Capitan boots without problems.

Cause: Evidently rEFInd initializes the USB card and when El Capitan finds the card initialized it kernel panics. Booting macOS trough Clover might result in a similar situation. Compare this to the need of RadeonDeInit when using AMD graphics cards.

(I have not tried this in newer versions of macOS.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back