Contribute
Register

kernel panic at ApleRTL8169Ethernet driver - how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
custom
CPU
intel i7
Graphics
nvidia 680GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm new to iBoot & MultiBeast, actually just giving it a try.

I managed to go through the iBoot / install MacOS Snow Leopard / update with the 10.6.7 Combo update steps, and then started to gradually install features via MultiBeast.

I downloaded the DSDT file appropriate to my motherboard, and installed the DSDT-based MultiBeast at first. so far so good - the HDD holding MacOS X could boot up fine. interestingly, at this step the network card functionality was lost - whereas originally after the 'vanilla' MacOS X install, it worked fine.

so I went on to try to install various drivers, and this is where all failed. I selected the nVidia driver, the audio driver & the realtek ethernet driver, and then went for install. it seemed go through well, albeit after the installer quit, the system hung.

so I did a hard reset, and then it won't boot anymore. please see the photo attached of a verbose boot final kernel panic screenshot.

I wonder what drivers I should install specifically?

is there a way to remove the offending driver without re-installing everything from scratch?

the hardware in question:

• gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0, BIOS version FD[/*:m:1p1eyd3x]
  • intel i7-960[/*:m:1p1eyd3x]
  • 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM[/*:m:1p1eyd3x]
  • MSI nVidia GTX 470[/*:m:1p1eyd3x]

I've seen this combination here on the forums as 'working fine', so most probably I'm not doing something right.

Attachments

• 2011-06-06 00.16.46.jpg
    2011-06-06 00.16.46.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 159
Can you boot with the iBoot disk? If it always defaults to starting from the HDD, go into BIOS and make sure that DVD drive is higher in boot priority than HDD.

If still stuck, try typing -x PCIRootUID=1 at the boot screen.

Once you get into Snow Leopard with iBoot, you can just navigate to the System/Library/Extensions folder and get rid of Realtek.

I would suggest trying the Lnx2Mac installer (assuming it has a Realtek chip) and see if that works for you.....if not there is always built-in WiFi.

SnapMan said:
Can you boot with the iBoot disk? If it always defaults to starting from the HDD, go into BIOS and make sure that DVD drive is higher in boot priority than HDD.

If still stuck, try typing -x PCIRootUID=1 at the boot screen.

Once you get into Snow Leopard with iBoot, you can just navigate to the System/Library/Extensions folder and get rid of Realtek.

my problem was that I could boot with iBoot, but even so, I would not get as far as the MacOS X UI, because it would kernel panic before that. thus I didn't see a way to modify the filesystem :(

SnapMan said:
I would suggest trying the Lnx2Mac installer (assuming it has a Realtek chip) and see if that works for you.....if not there is always built-in WiFi.

thanks, I'll try this other driver then...

I managed to make things work with the other ethernet driver. the audio driver and the nvidia graphics driver also installed correctly now.

the only thing I can't seem to get working is to boot in 64 bit mode. if I install com.apple.Boot.plist files via MultiBeast that correspond to 64 bit booting (either of them), I always get a kernel panic on boot :(

how can one enable 64 bit booting then?

1) Fix your sig/profile...
2) Boot with iBoot
3) Select Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext in Multibeast
4) Enjoy.

Lnx2Mac said:
1) Fix your sig/profile...
2) Boot with iBoot
3) Select Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx kext in Multibeast
4) Enjoy.

how would I fix my sig/profile, if I can't boot, because I get a kernel panic at boot? :)

it's a theoretical question though, I re-installed everything from scratch, and now it works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back