Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic after Update: Unsupported CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite
CPU
Ryzen 7 5800X3DX
Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Heyas Folks. Like most of us I went ahead and updated to 10.3.1 through the App Store's software update. All went well, as per usual, or so I thought. Right after DSMOS arrives instead of the Finder opening I get an instant restart. Clover tells me it restarted due to a kernel panic. I took a slow-mo movie with my iPod with hopes of capturing the issue before the screen blanks due to restart, and I captured this:
Screenshot (3).png

I am pretty sure the "Unsupported CPU for reporter has something to do with the restart. I have NEVER seen this in any of my Hackintosh builds, and am somewhat perplexed as to why this is popping up now? This never happened with the supplemental update. My DSDT, SSDT, System def, and Clover config have all been static for years. I have installed nor changed NOTHING (only updating the nVidia web drivers after OS update). Now, I can no longer boot back into MacOS!

Help?

I'm seeing the same "Unsupported CPU" message after a High Sierra clean Install. The Install went through but I haven't been able to boot after the last installation reboot.
I've tried to use a fakeCPUID with no luck.
This message might not be the issue though ?

Image uploaded from iOS.jpg

I'm seeing the same "Unsupported CPU" message after a High Sierra clean Install. The Install went through but I haven't been able to boot after the last installation reboot.
I've tried to use a fakeCPUID with no luck.
This message might not be the issue though ?
Your image shows an active Serial port (SuperIO) which should be disabled in your BIOS settings.

Can you boot with -x argument ?
Are you usining intel GFX together with your graphic card ?

From your OP, there are few things I do not understand :

- Were you able to reach your desktop under 10.13.1 at least 1 time (meaning the update was installed 100%) ?
- When did you update your nvidia web drivers ? You say : "only updating the nVidia web drivers after OS update" but if you are unable to boot, how you managed this ?

When I did the supplemental update, I had the same IOconsoleusers reboot loop because I would never think they would change MacOS version = nvdia driver crash due to bad version number.

You can also check if you have a time machine backup prior the update by launching the recovery partition and so come back before things went wrong. You can also from there try to delete kext relatated to nvidia by launching the terminal.

You may have a look here :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

My 2 cents :)

Last edited:
I have a Lenovo Edge 72 doing the same thing. I can get to the desktop in safe mode only. Machine is stock apart from having an HD4350 Low Profile GFX card

Your image shows an active Serial port (SuperIO) which should be disabled in your BIOS settings.
Thanks for your quick feedback !
Indeed I forgot this one and fixing it in the bios removes the two "APPLE16X50..." lines from my previous screenshot. See new screenshot :
IMG_7033.jpg

Can you boot with -x argument ?
Yes it boots in safe mode but we are stuck there since multibeast can't work in safe mode (right ?).

Are you usining intel GFX together with your graphic card ?
Actually we are using Intel integrated GPU only. We could not even launch HS installer while our NVDIA GPU was used. So we unplugged our screen from our NVIDIA GPU, plugged it directly in the Motherboard and in the BIOS we set the Initial Display Output to IGFX. Then we removed the boot arg "nv_disable=1" and the Installer was able to launch.

Attach your config plist and your Clover EFI partition without the Themes folder.
When booting with -x, some kexts/patch are not loaded, that is why you can boot. In other words, some Kexts should not be loaded or are not up to date (check those related to you iGPU : shiki or intelgraphicfixup maybe, you can disable them at clover boot to see what happens).

Hi CrashMidnick,
removing NVDAStartupWeb.kext from /Library/Extensions from recovery mode allowed us to boot without activating safe mode. Yay ! (Thanks a lot it was the link from your previous post that got us this far).
Multibeast installation was then successful.

The main problem now is that when we switch back to our GPU we only have a black screen with the cursor.
From what I understand GTX 760 should not need the Nvidia Web drivers to work with High Sierra, I tried anyway but not luck.

I'm joining a zip which contains my config.plist and kexts related to nvidia web drivers.
Thank you for your time!

I'm kinda hijacking Bansaku's thread with a now unrelated issue, maybe I should open my own thread ?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
Boot into High Sierra
Mount EFI partition
Remove NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext from your "Other" kext folder in EFI
Optional but better : remove webdrivers from their preference pane if possible
Then go to library/launchagents : remove all Nvidia stuff if there are some
Then go to library/launchdaemons : remove all Nvidia stuff if there are some
Reboot
access your bios and disable your iGPU
Boot Sierra and tell me if you can boot with the geforce

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer !

Following your instructions, when trying to boot on the HS drive we just installed, High Sierra doesn't boot and quickly stops with these messages : (nothing in safe mode either)

IMG_4774.JPG

However when booting with the installer USB (with f12) and choosing our HS Drive, High Sierra is booting properly ! (with my two screens and everything). But it's very glitchy so i'm guessing the GPU acceleration doesn't work (even though it's detected in the "about my mac" panel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back