Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic after shutdown in macOS 10.14.3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm hoping someone her might be able to help me fix an issue that suddenly happened.
My Hackintosh has been working great for the last couple of weeks, but yesterday I shut it down, unplugged it, and moved it.

I'm 95% sure it fully shutdown before I pulled the power cable, the 5% unsureness is second guessing what caused the issue.

When I started it back up, the macOS boot now kernel panics and starts a boot loop (It's a triple boot setup with Windows 10, Ubuntu, and macOS) but the other OSes are fine. When I select macOS I get a kernel panic graphic, it then tries to reboot and the Apple logo and progress bar progress, then the whole system reboots, and we go back to clover – rise and repeat.

I've tried booting in safe mode, using the "-x" flag in the Clover boot options, and the same thing happens.

I've booted up in verbose mode, using the "-v" flag, and it seems to be panicking with this error:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f933c4254): "Reference count underflowed for object 0xffffff8058ebf480!\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/apfs/apfs-945.241.4/nx/obj.c:2889
(Apologies for the blurred photo, the text flies past very quickly, and then the whole system reboots)

Unfortunately, I don't have the first clue how to begin to fix this issue past a reinstall.

The macOS version is 10.14.3, and the 10.4.4 update is pending but auto-update is turned off. Clover version is 4910, and the system boot disc is an 970 EVO Plus M.2.

If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated, and if there's anything else I can provide to help diagnose the issue please let me know. As I mentioned above, booting into safe mode yields the same reboot loop.

Attachments

• IMG_4316.jpeg
    IMG_4316.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 231
@P1LGRIM I swapped over the M2, and it turns out I was mistaken and actually had a 970 EVO (non-plus) and not the 970 EVO Plus as I had thought as I had originally got a 970 EVO Plus 500GB but returned it before installation and swapped it for a 970 EVO (non-plus) 1TB. I cloned the original with Clonezilla and swapped it over with the new one, and unsurprisingly had the same results when booting macOS and had the kernel panic (all the EFI boot records were broken with the cloned M2 for some reason too).

I'm not sure how to fix this issue now, past a reinstall of macOS. As I have the original M2 out of the Hackintosh at the moment, is there any point in sharing anything from the EFI partition to help diagnose the issue?

I still have the original M2, which I plan to put back in the machine tonight and then likely reinstall macOS and restore the users, applications, and settings from a clone of the system made from Carbon Copy Cloner.

Are there any issues with doing this?

Thanks.

Your Lilu.kext and plugin kexts are old and should be updated :

Lilu.png

Try and boot with -liluoff

@P1LGRIM I gave it a try with -liluoff, and it was still the same result.

The system gets partway through the boot, about 2/3, and then reboots. I also double-checked my BIOS settings, and even updated the BIOS, and still no joy. I did somehow get rid of the kernel panic graphic that initial presented itself after choosing macOS from Clover. Not sure how, or whether this was a separate or related problem.

The interesting thing is, the UniBeast Mojave install USB I made, and set this Hackintosh up with, now can't boot the machine – it hangs at the exact same place, about 2/3 the way through boot.

I'm very confused, as this build was working amazingly for two weeks until I shut it down and moved the machine (it wasn't dropped or anything, moved about a foot). I would say it was a hardware issue, but Windows 10 and Ubuntu are happy as Larry on it, with Windows booting off a partition on the same M2 that macOS isn't booting from.

For the Mojave on the M2 it's panicking here:

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f953c4254): "Reference count underflowed for object 0xffffff805a8fc080!\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/apfs/apfs-945.241.4/nx/obj.c:2889

...and for the UniBeast install it's here:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f846b5254): "Reference count underflowed for object 0xffffff80468f0540!\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/apfs/apfs-945.241.4/nx/obj.c:2889

If I had to guess, something seems up with the APFS partition that macOS is installed on and when both the install and the system encounter it – panic!

At this point, I'd do a reinstall – but I can, as the installer is borking too.

Is this fixable – would it be better to reformat the APFS partition to something else, say under Ubuntu, then try and reinstall?

Thanks again.

Boot from Mojave system disk (M2)

Boot from Mojave UniBeast USB.

A few of other things I've noticed, I can boot into Single User Mode using the -s boot argument, but the disk is read-only. There seems to be 4 APFS snapshots that were created by Carbon Copy Cloner when I duped the drive yesterday. I can't seem to delete those, and Paragon's APFS for Windows can't mount the drive in read/write due to those snapshots.

If I try and boot into Single User Mode with the UniBeast USB in a USB socket, I get a crash. It seems to be the USB2 device in a USB3 socket problem, which I don't know whether it is related or even normal.

When I try and boot from the Mojave UniBeast USB and it fails at the 2/3 mark and forces the machine to reboot (as does the system disk), the UEFI boot entry isn't available until I unplug the USB, and plug it back in. Not sure it that is normal or not either.

This machine identifies as a iMac 17,1 – though, it wouldn't from the UniBeast USB installer I don't think.
Below is a screenshot from when it was working on the 1st of April. The boot drive has had the dot taken out of it, so it is currently "Macintosh M2".

Also – my Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext are installed in Library/Extensions. Not sure if that makes a difference, but they might be difficult to remove as I'm finding it difficult to get write access to the disk when it's in the machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back