Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator 10G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics Processor
I am receiving a kernel panic after removing AppleHPET.kext. I removed this kext due to issues concerning my USB ports not functioning after doing a proper eject of a USB flash drive. I read that this kext can sometimes cause USB issues and wanted to see if removing it would solve the problem. I removed the file and placed a copy on my desktop just in case things went wrong. Then I ran kext utility to repair permissions. I restarted then all hell broke loose. The main message that I see in verbose is:

CPU 3 has no HPET assigned to it

I have tried using rBoot and get a Mach-0 error. I have also tried using iBoot to get back into my drive or the installation screen of the install disk to open terminal. When it runs the installation dish the gray apple screen shows up for a second then the system restarts itself. I have also tried to get into single user mode to move the file back from my desktop to System/Library/Extensions and it won't let me in there. I have run out of options of things that I know to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I got very lucky after several hours of messing with this and was able to figure out how to move the AppleHPET.kext file I had saved on my desktop back to /System/Library/Extensions in a very small window of time before the kernel panic showed in single user mode and repair permissions. I used the commands:

/sbin/mount -up / (to allow read/write permission)

mv /Users/username/Desktop/AppleHPET.kext /System/Library/Extensions (to move the file)

$sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions (to repair permission)

I still have my USB issues with it not working after ejecting a drive but it beats a useless system. If anyone has any advice on the USB thing I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back