Contribute
Register

Kernel Panic After MultiBeast Setup (Z87M-D3H + 4770K CPU & IGFX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
First of all, here are my system specifications:

MB: GA-Z87M-D3H
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
GPU: I'm using the onboard HD4600
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB @ 1600 MHz

So, I've basically upgraded from 10.9.5 to 10.10 using a UniBeast bootable USB stick. The system worked fine on 10.9.5, except for a few problems with the magic mouse and the apple keyboard.
Before I began the installation process, I did this:

2. Remove /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib if present
3. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext if present
4. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to remove the following 2 lines if present:

107204d1413557695-guide-update-os-x-mavericks-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast-screen-shot-2014-10-17-10.54.34-am.png

After I've installed 10.10, I rebooted with F12 @ BIOS screen -> USB Stick -> Mac OS X, then Yosemite finally started and I opened MultiBeast to install some kexts. Here's what I installed with the newest MultiBeast version:

Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Optional HD300/HD4000 HDMI Audio
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.0 Trim Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.0
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 5,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 white

After the Multibeast setup, I've booted directly from the SSD and then this kernel panic came up:

THZbfvC.jpg

I tried to boot with -x into the safe mode, but the keyboard and the mouse were unusable at the login screen. Then I tried to get into the single user mode via -s but same thing happened here: no keyboard functionality. Afterwards I've used the bootable USB stick with F12 to open the terminal. I've deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver from the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder with the rm -rf command.

Rebooted the system after the deletion of this driver and the same Kernel Panic happened once again.

Is there a blatant mistake that I've made? I guess it's something I've installed with MultiBeast, but I'm not sure what it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you need SSDT setup for your processor. I forgot :) to add that to my multibeast install and looks to be the similar to my cpu panic. My was a fresh install so I just started another fresh install and added the SSDT for i7 (mine is not overlocked) and it fixed it. Also I had issues with 5,1 and dropped back to 3,1. :) I don't need 5,1 and see zero performance differences.

hope this helps :)

I believe you need SSDT setup for your processor. I forgot :) to add that to my multibeast install and looks to be the similar to my cpu panic. My was a fresh install so I just started another fresh install and added the SSDT for i7 (mine is not overlocked) and it fixed it. Also I had issues with 5,1 and dropped back to 3,1. :) I don't need 5,1 and see zero performance differences.

hope this helps :)

My problem right now is that I don't really know how to change these settings in the terminal, because that's all I can use right now. I'd gladly go back to MultiBeast and try different settings and maybe load the SSDT for the i7, but unfortunately I can't even get to the login screen without using -x and even then, the keyboard and mouse aren't working at the login screen (Logitech USB mouse and keyboard plugged directly into 2 motherboard usb slots).

About the SSDT: I've never used an i7 SSDT on Mavericks, is Yosemite that much different in that regard?

I have a very similar configuration and ran into the same issue you are facing. I found the problem was the ALC892 driver. For a full description of what I went through, see the following post:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-using-unibeast-multibeast-14.html#post890383

I hope my experience helps you past your problem.

Did you also get the AppleTyMCEDriver kernel panic message like this one here: http://i.imgur.com/THZbfvC.jpg

or was your failure message explicitly about AppleHDA.kext or something audio related?

Anyway, thanks for your help! I will try it tomorrow!

Early in the process of getting from Mavericks to Yosemite I did hit some KPs. Unfortunately, I did not write down what they were. I think they went away when I followed the same set of instructions you did. The best I can remember was that my KPs came from the USB kext that had to be deleted.

The final problem I had to fix was a hang on the boot screen with the large progress bar. It was at that point that I isolated the problem to the ALC892 kext. It may be that you are stuck on another problem. But, eventually I suspect you will get to an issue with the ALC892 kext. I have seen a number of people with ALC892 audio reporting the hang problem I encountered.

If you make any progress please post your results.

Early in the process of getting from Mavericks to Yosemite I did hit some KPs. Unfortunately, I did not write down what they were. I think they went away when I followed the same set of instructions you did. The best I can remember was that my KPs came from the USB kext that had to be deleted.

The final problem I had to fix was a hang on the boot screen with the large progress bar. It was at that point that I isolated the problem to the ALC892 kext. It may be that you are stuck on another problem. But, eventually I suspect you will get to an issue with the ALC892 kext. I have seen a number of people with ALC892 audio reporting the hang problem I encountered.

If you make any progress please post your results.

Puh.. I finally did it. I changed my password to nothing in the Terminal and then I booted the system up in safe mode with -x and USBBusFix=Yes. I then logged on into my account and proceeded to start up MultiBeast and change some settings. I chose the MacPro 3,1 system definitions and the ALC892 audio driver along with the network driver definitions for Realtek Ethernet, the chimera 4.0 bootloader, kext dev mode and PS/2 Keyboard/Mice driver. I also deleted the GenericUSBXHCI.kext, that seemed to fix the keyboard input problem.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to make HDMI work, but the Headphone output seems to be working fine, so I guess that the ALC892 driver is not corrupt / interfering with the system in my case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back