Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B460M Pro-VDH WiFi
CPU
I5-10400
Graphics
UHD 630
Have been running mavericks on my system build based on Storks Zorro. It is a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H v1.3 it was at bios revision F12 and today I added a GTX 760 video card without issue. Following that I flashed my bios to the UEFI U1h version. I was able to get into the bios setting and optimize everything and set to ACHIEVE mode. I would like to get the UEFI working and would also like to update beyond Mavericks. The computer is mainly used for email, basic web stuff, and hold my music/movies/tv for my media center. Even after all these years it still has more than enough HP for my uses. I can if needed downgrade back to F12. I am unable to boot into OS X beyond the KP's I noticed at the bottom of one of the screens I get a message saying that Mac OS Version: Not Set and I am wondering if that isn't my problem. Any suggestions is resolving the problem without downgrading would be appreciated.

In going back and looking at my original setup directions I see that they listed only one monitor, only the boot drive, and no USB peripherals. I have a number of drives and dual monitors set up so I will try removing all of them and bottling in the morning.

Just tried the above and still get the panic. I have a CCC of the bolt drive and also get a KP on that. Wondering if it might not be better to just try a fresh install and get updated to Sierra then migrate data over from my CCC

Attachments

• IMG_7840.JPG
    IMG_7840.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7841.JPG
    IMG_7841.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_7842.JPG
    IMG_7842.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Go back to the BIOS and set it to Legacy Mode or Legacy + UEFI. Your current installations are all Legacy, so you need the Legacy mode to boot them.
A complete clean install in UEFI mode will be required for all of your operating systems if you want to use UEFI booting.
Given your usage, I would revert to older Legacy BIOS, since the 6 series implementation of UEFI was incomplete and very "buggy" compared to 7/8/9 series UEFI.

Thanks for the reply, I believe that I tried setting the bios to legacy and the factory setting was legacy + uefi. Just an in general question if the bios wasn't so buggy is there an advantage to running a uefi bios? I don't dual boot or do anything special with the computer.

Thanks

On 6 series hardware there is no real advantage to UEFI.

Go back to the BIOS and set it to Legacy Mode or Legacy + UEFI. Your current installations are all Legacy, so you need the Legacy mode to boot them.
A complete clean install in UEFI mode will be required for all of your operating systems if you want to use UEFI booting.
Given your usage, I would revert to older Legacy BIOS, since the 6 series implementation of UEFI was incomplete and very "buggy" compared to 7/8/9 series UEFI.

I have attempted to revert through the UEFI bios and get an error message as well as trying to flash from a bootable USB using the flash utility provided with the bios download from gigabyte without success. Any trick to it that I am missing?

Do not know - never had a 6 series board to attempt flashing BIOS. Suggest you contact Gigabyte support.

You should still be able to set the UEFI BIOS to Legacy only or Legacy+UEFI and have it boot your Legacy installs.

I was able to find a method online to revert it back. I tried setting the bios to legacy and still got the KP. I will try not to make that mistake again. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back