Graphics
radeon 6970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
1. Use iBoot + Multibeast install instructions to install 10.6.3 retail to a separate hard drive in my computer
2. Removed all USB devices and dropped to 4 GB of ram
2. Got it SL installed, but it did not give me the option to reboot so I could install Multibeast. It grayed the screen and locked the computer so I had to reboot.
3. Rebooted using iBoot and tried to boot into the OSX. Failed with the unable to find drivers for this platform - ACPI error.
4. Started over - deleted partition on the separate hard drive and tried to begin the process again
5. Now, I can't even get the iBoot disk to boot. It gives me the "unable to find drivers for this platform - ACPI" error
6. I've tried using the Legacy iBoot, but that just freaks out my computer.
6. I've tried booting using "-x -v -f PCIRootUID=0 ACPI=off" etc.
7. Gigabyte Z68XP-UDB, i5-2500K, ATI 6870

Can anyone tell me how to just let me boot with iBoot? I'd be thankful just for that!

1. Use iBoot + Multibeast install instructions to install 10.6.3 retail to a separate hard drive in my computer
2. Got it SL installed, but it did not give me the option to reboot so I could install Multibeast. It grayed the screen and locked the computer so I had to reboot.
3. Rebooted using iBoot and tried to boot into the OSX. Failed with the unable to find drivers for this platform - ACPI error.
4. Started over - deleted partition on the separate hard drive and tried to begin the process again
5. Now, I can't even get the iBoot disk to boot. It gives me the "unable to find drivers for this platform - ACPI" error

Can anyone tell me how to just let me boot with iBoot? I'd be thankful just for that!

imanogre

As you have an Sandy Bridge CPU you should read and understand the instructions on the webpage for iBoot and Multibeast where Tony's staff has posted the install guide for installing OSX onto an intel MB

Also I assume you have the correct DSDT file that matches the BIOS version number you have on the MB. And that the DSDT file is renames only to be DSDT.aml;.

As you mentioned you can install osx onto the hardware in the first step. From their we should follow Jester969 modd'd procedure for Sandy Bridge CPU's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
How to do a sandybridge cpu w compatable hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen- if not booting in safe mode.
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.8 , DO NOT reboot
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Audio/Ethernet/DSDT

DSDT and BIOS firmware must match to the corresponding number.
------------------------------------------------------------

Now you may need to use some command line switches to get this installed - the one that you need to use is the PCIRootUID=0 command as you have a Sandy Bridge CPU.

So at the inital boot after step 1 try this - Startup Switch for inital install from iBoot w Apple DVD- (this can be used in the intial 1st boot aswell)
"-x -v -f acpi=off PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No"

Spaces and dash's as well as Case are important ....

Then proced w step two -
we will change the process of the command line switchs to just use the -v -f : use these two for the rest of the steps each time you boot.

You will need the DSDT file as mentioned in the guide and of course update helper - have these on a USB stick.
Also if you have another hard drive make the Hack drive the first drive and remove all others for the install. Reconnect later when done.
It reported that you should have ony 4GB ram for the install - so if you can set it that way.

Also as your CPU has HD3000 GFX you may want to install the 6870 later
Also not sure what you want to do - go to Lion or ML - but you can do that upgrade from OSX Sl 10.6.6 - Again its reported that the 10.6.8 update is the most troublesome and some have stopped at 10.6.7:
Also you will need to re-run items in Multibeast when updates are applied such as the rollback options for sound and you should keep a document of the steps that worked for you for the future and for better understandingn when you old and gray like me.....

Hi!

Try removing the SCSI adapter from the VM settings - storage; mount/create the virtual hdd on e virtual IDE adapter.
This worked for me.

Hi!

Try removing the SCSI adapter from the VM settings - storage; mount/create the virtual hdd on e virtual IDE adapter.
This worked for me.

bigbro - suggest you read the FAQ rules and regulations for the TonyMacX86 website - we do not mention VM's in our posts.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

Try installing with the HD3000 in the CPU and only installing the HD6870 after you have updated the system to 10.6.8. The HD68xx cards are notoriously hard to do in install with in all 3 versions of OS X - SL, Lion, MLion

imanogre

You do have the required settings set per the install document that being AHCI in sata S3 in Power and HPET =yes or 64!

In step 2 you had it installed but needed to reboot cause of a Lockup - I assume this was after the install of the OSX to the HD,

As you have a Sandy Bridge CPU we need to modify the install document you are using ( as their are several versions around)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
How to do a sandy bridge cpu w compatible hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.8 , DO NOT reboot
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board and run System Utilities.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Audio/Ethernet/DSDT

DSDT and BIOS firmware must match to the corresponding number. ( Do make this important notice works better if the BIOS and the DSDT file match in version numbers)

You will notice that this short form uses the update helper which is needed before you do any of the Apple combo updates.
Also ATI support for this video card was only available after 10.6.8 - so trying it the way that Going Bald suggested may work,

Also you stated that your using boot flags as shown below - this one has an issue as the PCIRootUID=0 sets the kernal to look for the internal GFX - HD3000 - as source where as you have the ATI68XX card installed - this only works w that card out-

If you intend to use that card during the install then you should change that to PCIRootUID=1 this sets video to the discreet card.

Another switch that is suggest is the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No"

Also I would suggest you add to the command line the following npci=0x2000 if you do not have success (this option is not used very much and can be deleted most times unless you have a difficult install.)

So if your doing this from the first part and you don't have the GFX card installed -
"-x -v PCIRootUID=0 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No"

So if you doing this from the first part and you DO have the ATI card installed
"-x -v PCIRootUID=1 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000"

You notice that we don't have the "-f" not needed here at this step.

this should allow us to install osx SL base line 10.6.3 and we follow step two of the modified install list.

Then from USB copy Update helper to desktop and install - reboot w iBoot

This time we change it up by adding the -f back (why) Glad you asked: the -f switch tells the kernel to not use cached files from the last boot of compiled kext files (older kexts ) we what whats Fresh what was installed etc. Modern OS's use cache files to load quicker this shortens the boot time as all of the needed files are in one continual string of files inside one BIG file (cache).

So now we are at the next reboot and you don't have the GFX card installed -
"-x -v -f PCIRootUID=0 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No"

So now we are at the next reboot and you DO have the ATI card installed
"-x -v -f PCIRootUID=1 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000"

Once you have the desktop - you run the 10.6.8 update - we do not reboot - we run multibeast,
select the options you have - and also as you have a dsdt file we need to us that check mark as well.

Once you have done this you will reboot based upon the this suggest we continue w the options as so
So now we are at the next reboot and you don't have the GFX card installed -
"-x -v -f PCIRootUID=0 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No"

So now we are at the next reboot and you DO have the ATI card installed
"-x -v -f PCIRootUID=1 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000"

NOTE - again I want you to know that the npci=0x2000 are not needed and should only be use when its not working so try it w/out...

Also just to give you some idea - it took me 3 weeks to get my fist hack up - and something like over a hundred installs - to shorten this process I would suggest you use a utility like superduper or carbon copy cloner, to accomplish this task.

Hi,

i had the same issue.
Try out
cpus=1 busratio=18 -v

worked for me!

Hi,

i had the same issue.
Try out
cpus=1 busratio=18 -v

worked for me!

woo

I would still add acpi=off as well just to keep it happy.

Just to let you know their are a whole litany of switches that do a lot of tweaking that help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back