Contribute
Register

Kernal Panic upgrading my video card, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Desktop iMac
CPU
i7 Intel
Graphics
GT220 Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
my system has been stable for a while running a Gigabyte Geforce GT220 card but whenever I started Video Lan would warn me no quartz extreme so I decided to upgrade the card. I went to the list on Tonymac of fully natively supported models and bought a gigabyte geforce gtx 650 thinking if i just popped it in and rebooted that as it was natively supported it would go fine well the instant it goes to boot it kernel panics. what am i doing wrong ?

i am running mountain lion 10.75 never seen the need to upgrade it.
Is there a different way I am suppose to do this?

thanks

Hmm... how about booting with:

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

(verbose boot, don't use the kext cache, don't use GraphicsEnabler since you have a GTX 650)

If you still get a panic, a picture might help people figure out what's causing it. Good luck!

so how do i choose those boot options or check/change the graphics enabler to off
thanks

Reboot, when the Chimera screen appears (screen with the little cartoon apple on it) just start typing. It'll stop booting and wait for you to type your boot options and hit enter. Enter them just like I listed them:

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

If those flags let you boot, you can
-add "GraphicsEnabler=No" to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
-rebuild your kext cache.

There should be lots of guides on the forum for those two things. After that, you won't need to type anything at the Chimera screen when you boot.

Good luck!

didnt work came up with the same kernel panic
how do i get to the kernel panic if so i can paste it in here?
thanks again

a side note:

i tried with my original card GT 220 which works fine normally but I tried the -v -f GraphicEnabler=No string but it didnt boot right up either now so i just -v -f with my old card and it wouldn't boot still so i tried just -v with my old GT 220 and it boots (with my old card but not the new one) so whats the -f switch for cause it wont let the machine boot even on the existing card.

If you use -f, OS X will read through every single kext in your /System/Library/Extensions, rather than a just a special cache of Kexts it thinks you need. If you change a kext in /System/Library/Extensions you need to either update the cache or boot with -f to ignore the cache -- otherwise, your updated kext won't get used.

It sounds like you have a kext in /System/Library/Extensions that's causing you an issue. You might see it mentioned by name in the kernel panic text.

I think the only way to post the kernel panic text would be to snap a picture with your camera and upload it.

Anyhow I think this is definitely the root of your issue -- OS X uses a different kext for the 220 and 650. The 650 kext isn't in your cache, and you won't be able to boot without the cache or rebuild the cache until you find out which kext in /System/Library/Extensions is causing the Kernel Panic. But after you figure that out, it'll work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back