Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone! I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 sitting around, and would like to build a Hackintosh inside it, while visually keeping it completely stock. I mean no cutting at all (except maybe inside, but not the back of the case), keeping the original back and front IO, the HD internal slots, etc.

The components I think I will use after researching in this forum are the following: (I have a budget of +/- 2000 USD)

-CPU: i7 9700K / i7 8700
-Motherboard: Gygabite H370M / Q370M / Z390 Gaming (all microATX)
-GPU: Radeon VII / Vega 64 / RX590

I have some questions that I wasn't able to find answers to so far, which are:

1) Is it possible to keep the original fans and speaker and also place an internal mic for siri? Would the original fans be able to keep the computer cool enough?
2) Is it possible to keep the original PSU? If not, would any +750W modular PSU fit in the original casing?
3) After researching I've seen that some people manage to keep the HD internal slots, but they don't tell how they done it. Do you happen to know how? Or can you recommend other hot swap connectors such as this one, which is no longer available? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-Air-540-Hot-Swap-Connector/p/CC-8930148
4) Are OEM Apple WiFi and Bluetooth cards compatible with the motherboards I listed before? If not, would you recommend any?
5) After installing said cards, would I need to also install antennas?
6) After installing the mATX motherboard inside the case, will it be aligned with the PCIe external slots so that they are still be usable? (Like for installing USB 3.0, since old macs only have USB 2.0)

Thank you for reading this. If you happen to know about any of these subjects, please answer.
Greetings!

Last edited:
Hi az2020, First of all welcome to this forum! I would recommend spending time to look at builds others have done here and reading thru the threads. There's ALOT of info you will find to help you and you might even change how you will want to mod your rig. That being said, I will try to help you as much as I can with your questions:

1) I have always installed Noctua fans in my rigs. They are a bit expensive but you don't think about this after the first time you start the rig and still hear silence. I have heard here that original fans are pretty loud when wired to PC board, but I might be wrong... ;)

2)I'm pretty sure I have seen someone here do a conversion but I can tell you it will be much easier to install a modular power supply. Once again, have a look around here and you will find your info.

3)The key to keep the HD bays is to lower the motherboard as low as possible. As for the connector, maybe someone else could pitch in here because I cannot answer this one.

4)Look around here, I know I saw a list of compatible cards that worked on both Apple and Windows when the right drivers are installed.

5) Most likely yes, but there are antennas that you could hide in the case, like theses: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MGANGWQ/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

6) Once again, have a look here, plenty of people have done it many different ways, pick your preferred one and start modding!!

Have a look here, there is info you might like: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-mac-pro-hack.28892/
and here ;) : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/untouched-outside-look-mac-pro.217230/#post-1496951

Last edited:
Thank you very much, your answers have been very useful! I already have the case disassembled, so I'll start buying parts ASAP, and will document the process as soon as I start with the build.

I'm right in the middle of doing that.
The picture is few months ago - the internal was changed (was cut a bit) in order to have the PSU in there & a way to get the cables from the PSU compartment to the MB.

I'm Using EVGA 650W G2, building an extension cable from the original PSU input.

I'm using all Noctua Fans (I'm just building the hack I already have inside the MP), not keeping the speaker.

I'm going to use the internal drive bays (gonna use all of them + 2 SSDs in the top DVD compartment)
Links to the cables I ordered (different lengths to not have too much loose cables):
First SATA+Power, Second SATA+Power, SATA extension long, SATA extension short

For the front USBs - I'm gonna order this. I'll see how I can get this to work (I have a CNC machine & 3D Printer - so have tools to build things if needed...)

I already have a working WiFi/BT in my build - but I'll try to connect them to the built in antennas I have - will update on that when I'll finish building everything.

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 261
I'm right in the middle of doing that.
The picture is few months ago - the internal was changed (was cut a bit) in order to have the PSU in there & a way to get the cables from the PSU compartment to the MB.

I'm Using EVGA 650W G2, building an extension cable from the original PSU input.

I'm using all Noctua Fans (I'm just building the hack I already have inside the MP), not keeping the speaker.

I'm going to use the internal drive bays (gonna use all of them + 2 SSDs in the top DVD compartment)
Links to the cables I ordered (different lengths to not have too much loose cables):
First SATA+Power, Second SATA+Power, SATA extension long, SATA extension short

For the front USBs - I'm gonna order this. I'll see how I can get this to work (I have a CNC machine & 3D Printer - so have tools to build things if needed...)

I already have a working WiFi/BT in my build - but I'll try to connect them to the built in antennas I have - will update on that when I'll finish building everything.

Thank you for your answer, I hadn't checked the forum for a while. Have you already finished your build?
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the back I/O, I can't come up with a way of cutting/desoldering the old ports from the original motherboard for using them with the new motherboard (Gygabite Z390 Gaming mATX). I was thinking of installing something like this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-Air-540-Hot-Swap-Connector/p/CC-8930148 instead of going through the mess of using a ton of adapters for keeping the original tray SATA ports. Also, have you managed to use the original WiFi and Bluetooth antennas? I have not been able to find anyone who does that, they use PCIe wifi cards with ugly antennas coming out on the back.

Thank you for your answer, I hadn't checked the forum for a while. Have you already finished your build?
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the back I/O, I can't come up with a way of cutting/desoldering the old ports from the original motherboard for using them with the new motherboard (Gygabite Z390 Gaming mATX). I was thinking of installing something like this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-Air-540-Hot-Swap-Connector/p/CC-8930148 instead of going through the mess of using a ton of adapters for keeping the original tray SATA ports. Also, have you managed to use the original WiFi and Bluetooth antennas? I have not been able to find anyone who does that, they use PCIe wifi cards with ugly antennas coming out on the back.

Hey
Hi used the corsair Sata adapter in my build, it's an easy solution, they fit perfectly, but you will have some loose cable to hide
For the PSU I think people already converted PSU from powermac g5, but I'm not sure anyone did it from the Mac Pro.
Instead you can convert a modular PSU inside the Apple PSU cage like I did : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/wip-mac-pro-3-1-mod-low-budget-and-stock-look.278750/
It's a good solution to keep the aesthetic of the original PSU and power cord while being safe (the airflow of your psu will be better !), but require some time

For the wifi/bt card I know that some Mac Pro models have built in antennas (3.1 does, 4.1 and 5.1 also too I assume), maybe you can find one somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back