My Desktop:

desktopT8FW0.jpg

============================================================================

The Components:

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMHWP8?ie=UTF8
snowleoM43MU.jpg

Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Mid-Tower Case
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC600TWM-WHT-Special-Graphite-Computer/dp/B004O0PAKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8
towerPZ45A.jpg

GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3 Rev. 1 Bios F11
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-4DDR3-2200-CrossFireX-Motherboard-GA-P55A-UD3/dp/B002XDQC4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8
boardOLZSB.jpg

Intel Core i7-860
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Processor-LGA1156-I7-860BOX/dp/B002KQ5KE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8
cpuIECY0.jpg

EKL Alpenföhn - Brocken (it is identical to Scythe Mugen 3)
http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mugen-Cooler-Model-SCMG-3000/dp/B005413NPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
fanH7VUG.jpg

PNY GT 430 1024MB DDR3 DVI-I+VGA+HDMI 2.0 PCI-Express Graphics Card
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-1024MB-PCI-Express-Graphics-VCGGT4301XPB/dp/B00466IP5Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8
gfxRDWZK.jpg

Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-80Plus-M12II-620-BRONZE/dp/B003HE260I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
psuRC855.jpg

G.Skill DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-1600MHz-PC3-12800-F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL/dp/B004HZG4ZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
ramPRQZ8.jpg

OCZ Vertex2 E 2,5" SSD 120 GB
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Vertex-2-5-Inch-OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G/dp/B003NE5JCY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
oczEJP2O.jpg

Western Digital WD10EARS 1 TB
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Desktop-WD10EARS/dp/B002U1N95K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
hdU4K68.jpg

Pioneer DVR-S18LBK
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DVR-118LBK-CD-Writer-Multi-Recorder-ReWritable/dp/B002GQ2SI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
dvdXP7AY.jpg

I already owned 2x 500Gb WD SATA Drives...one with Ubuntu 10.10 and one with W7 Ultimate on it.

How i would install OSX Snow Leopard

I installed my OSX on Nov.-Dec 2009, so i will describe what i would do if I wanted to install it today. Okay...let's go

1st of all i would search and try to find out which Hardware i exactly have or planning to buy (GFX, AudioCodec etc). A good Place for your research is the -> Wiki Page

2nd i would read the great -> Guide and also -> tony's Troubleshooting Tips & General Recommendations

3rd would set my Bios to the recommended settings.

Note: My Bios Settings and an com.apple.Boot.plist you can find at the End of this posting. Have a look on it before beginning with the installation, because it's very important to set your Bios to the recommended settings.

I've disabled my Onboard Lan because i have a PCI Network Card [you should leave it Enabled]. I also disabled - USB 3 - IDE - GSATA - Serial and Parallel Ports - because i havn't and don't use such Devices. It's a good idea to disable all of these features in Bios before you go to install OSX. It might prevent errors which might occure during the installation. You can enable that options later step by step after a successful installation. Always use a wired USB keyboard+Mouse (for installation)

4th downloading all necessary files for postinstallation (-> MacOS ComboUpdate, -> nVidia GFX drivers, -> Multibeast, -> DSDT from the DB) and would store all that stuff on an USB thumb. Burn -> iBoot onto a blank CD or DVD

5th booting with iBoot, eject iBoot and insert the SL Retail DVD, wait a few sec. and press F5, select the SL Retail DVD and go on with installation. Only when **** happens at this point during the installation, i would do it again but typing -x on the chameleon bootscreen (and for Users with an Fermi based nVidia GFX card -which i actually use-, i would type PciRoot=1 also)

Note: For some people (i.e. to users with a SandyBridge MoBo) and for some other unexplainable reasons the installation with iBoot wouldn't work, those people should try it with -> iBoot-Lagacy

6th i don't describe here how i would partitioned my drive, it's all mentioned in the -> Guide

7th when installation is finished, i would reboot with iBoot, selecting my OSX HD and boot from the HD while iBoot is still inserted (perhaps again with -x PciRoot=1)

8th would finishing the setupprocess and connect the usb thumb, copy all downloaded files from the thumb (see above point #4) onto my desktop and extract the DSDT zip file on the desktop.

9th installing Apples MacOsX ComboUpdate (but wouldn't reboot), would install the GFX drivers (but wouldn't reboot) and at least i would run Multibeast with the options ticked below:

Note: Some people with another MoBo than mine sometimes asks me, what about the audio options i ticked in my screenshot of Multibeast? They complain their MoBo's have another audio codec than mine (it's an ALC888). Therefore i told above at point #1, it's very helpfull to know exactly which HW you have. The audiodriver i had ticked in Multibeast are for the Realtek ALC888, ALC887/888b, ALC889, ALC885/889a and ALC892 high-definition audio codecs. It's MacMan's Unified Audio Injector which will work on all MoBo's with the Codecs listed above. So what with Users with non-Gigabyte Boards, but have one of the Codecs listed above but no DSDT.aml? They have to select additional a non-DSDT HDAEnabler for their Codec also in Multibeast.

At least: If you find/mean your system don't work properly and do some changes to your kexts (delete or install kexts, or edit and modify plist's in kexts for adding device/vendor-id's), keep in mind, you're always able to boot your system using iBoot (or iBoot-Legacy) like you did after a fresh OSX installation. You also can just delete the whole /Extra folder and re-run Multibeast again with the options ticked which might match to your system. Important Note: When you delete or installs kexts or modifying kexts, always run Kext Utility (doubleclick) after that to rebuild the kextcaches. And after that run Disk Utility and repair the permissins on your OSX HD before reboot. And always tick System Utilities when running Multibeast, it does the same as Kext Utility and Disk Utility i mentioned above.

Issues: If you stuck on "acpi_smc_platformplugin" during the boot process jump into your Bios and controll all settings again, perhaps you've forgot something important. And there are a view arguments you can type on the chameleon bootscreen like -x for safe boot, PciRoot=1, GraphicsEnabler=no/yes, npci=0x2000 -v for verbose boot mode or -s for single user mode. You can type one argument or try to mix some arguments - for example... -x -v GraphicsEnabler=no

Multibeast 3.9.1 Options

bildschirmfoto20111102um230031MKKB1.png

10th THAT'S IT...reboot and i bet my OSX would run like a charm with working audio, sleep, GFX QE/CI etc....cheers :beachball:

My Bios Settings
Note: The Bios Settings are quite similar even if you have another Gigabyte Board.
1st Load the Default Settings, then compare the Settings Step by Step with the Screenshots below. The most Important Settings are on the Screenshots 1, 4, 5 & 6

img0227TX319.jpg

img02284GYS9.jpg

img022996NEI.jpg

img02304UFVI.jpg

img0231QDDXD.jpg

img023324CKM.jpg

Update: 2011 Feb. 26. Added a com.apple.Boot.plist below which should work for the most people with the same Build:

• <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>DSDT</key>
    <string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>npci=0x2000</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    <key>PCIRootUID</key>
    <string>1</string>
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>Default</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>1</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Hey, karacho

I built almost the EXACT same system as you, including the same case, without even seeing your post.

I have a couple of questions, if you have a minute:

1) I got SL installed, updated to 10.6.6 and installed a "user DSDT" but wasn't sure which one to use. I saw "F11" during boot, but didn't know whether it was Rev 1 or Rev 2 - how can I tell?

2) After update and reboot, normal boot hangs on "HDAEnabler" every time - I Can only boot in safe mode.

3) While digging for solutions to the audio hang, I installed TonyMac's NVidia updater (I have a GT430 from Zotac)

4) Now, I still hang in normal boot, and in safe mode, it boots up and then the screen goes off when I should see a login screen.

What in the world is going on, and what can I do now? I'm really new to this, but I take direction and instruction well. Please advise, if you can.

jjphoto said:
Hey, karacho

I built almost the EXACT same system as you, including the same case, without even seeing your post.

I have a couple of questions, if you have a minute:

1) I got SL installed, updated to 10.6.6 and installed a "user DSDT" but wasn't sure which one to use. I saw "F11" during boot, but didn't know whether it was Rev 1 or Rev 2 - how can I tell?
You'll find the Rev.-# on the Board in the lower left corner.
Bildschirmfoto 2011-02-26 um 19.54.51.png

2) After update and reboot, normal boot hangs on "HDAEnabler" every time - I Can only boot in safe mode.
For User DSDT you don't need HDAEnabler. Try to boot in single user mode by typing -s on the chameleon bootscreen. When you get to the root terminal type:

• fsck -fy
    mount -uw /
    rm -rv /System/Library/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext/
    rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/*
    touch /System/Library/Extensions/
    reboot

Note: If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, don't type the mount command...repeat the fsck command you typed before until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

So when your computer reboots, on the chameleon bootscreen type -v PciRootUID=1. The 1st reboot after that takes much longer, don't worried about that. You'll see many lines scrolling down the screen at this time.
3) While digging for solutions to the audio hang, I installed TonyMac's NVidia updater (I have a GT430 from Zotac)
That was the right decision.
4) Now, I still hang in normal boot, and in safe mode, it boots up and then the screen goes off when I should see a login screen.
I think you forgot to type PciRootUID=1 at this time.
What in the world is going on, and what can I do now? I'm really new to this, but I take direction and instruction well. Please advise, if you can.
Do the things like described above. When you can get to your desktop, download the correct DSDT for your MoBo (only when you've installed the wrong DSDT before), rename it to DSDT.aml and copy the renamed file into your /Extra folder (overwrite or delete the older DSDT.aml). Run Kext Utility (doubleclick) to rebuild the kextcaches. After that run Disk Utility and repair the permissions on your OSX HD.
Good luck.

PS. I Updated my Build above and added an com.apple.Boot.plist

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2011-02-26 um 19.54.51.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2011-02-26 um 19.54.51.png
    708.7 KB · Views: 7,458
"Now, that's the way you do it...gets your money 'nd spend it on the Hacky-tosh." (My apologies to Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits for butchering their "Money for Nothing" lyrics.) :headbang:

Stork said:
"Now, that's the way you do it...gets your money 'nd spend it on the Hacky-tosh." (My apologies to Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits for butchering their "Money for Nothing" lyrics.) :headbang:
Dude...you know that's not my only debility ;) I'm impatiently awaiting the spring and the sunny weather...new tires are already on it :cool:

OK, since my original post on your thread, I've gone ahead and reinstalled SL fresh, following your guide directly. I updated to 10.6.6, ran multibeast with the right DSDT and the settings you called out, and installed TonyMac's NVidia update.

I have NOT yet updated my com.apple.Boot.plist yet, but I understand that I can do that from Single User Mode, if need be.

Now, on my first reboot since the 10.6.6 update, I got through the apple screen, but I now have had a black screen (not blank with a lack of signal, but actively black) for well over 10 minutes. I've been letting it ride, just in case it's a slow boot, but I'm about to give up.

Do I need to reboot into SUM and update the plist? Or maybe with that PCI switch you suggested?

Thanks for the help on this so far.

jjphoto said:
OK, since my original post on your thread, I've gone ahead and reinstalled SL fresh, following your guide directly. I updated to 10.6.6, ran multibeast with the right DSDT and the settings you called out, and installed TonyMac's NVidia update.

I have NOT yet updated my com.apple.Boot.plist yet, but I understand that I can do that from Single User Mode, if need be.

Now, on my first reboot since the 10.6.6 update, I got through the apple screen, but I now have had a black screen (not blank with a lack of signal, but actively black) for well over 10 minutes. I've been letting it ride, just in case it's a slow boot, but I'm about to give up.

Do I need to reboot into SUM and update the plist? Or maybe with that PCI switch you suggested?

Thanks for the help on this so far.
Boot with iBoot, select your OSX HD and type -x PciRoot=1. When you can get to your Desktop, just copy the boot.plist i attached into your /Extra folder and reboot w/o iBoot but type -v We'll see where it hangs

Attachments

• com.apple.Boot.plist
    612 bytes · Views: 384
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back