Intel HD630 + GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey everyone,
I thought I would create this post because I have my sleep/wake function working on both of my Kabylake and Skylake systems. I hope this is the right forum for posting this. It seems this is an unknown fix issue right now so I thought I would help contribute if I truly have it working. When it wasnt working, I had the standard hard reboot after waking up just like everyone reports. However, I have not had to disable any sleep modes and have had no restarts for several days on each of them. If i click the apple key at the top left and select sleep, everything sleeps fine and everything resumes as normal after wake. Even pandora in the background picks right back up.

Please let me know if I need to do other testing to fully verify if it working or now.

Right now my theory is that the setting is darkwake=8, try it out and let me know. If not I will dig deeper and provide config files for everyone to examine.

I believe there's a lot of people trying different combination of darkware setting.
But it's still good to hear if someone's rig possibly have a fix for this.

Just a few things to verify,
Do you have the 980 in your rig? Or it is a HD530/630 only system?

When you say Sleep fine wakes up without being a restart, did you wait until the whole system light/fan actually turned off?
If so, what is the longest time you have achieved to let the machine sleep, and successfully resume it?

I believe there's a lot of people trying different combination of darkware setting.
But it's still good to hear if someone's rig possibly have a fix for this.

Just a few things to verify,
Do you have the 980 in your rig? Or it is a HD530/630 only system?

When you say Sleep fine wakes up without being a restart, did you wait until the whole system light/fan actually turned off?
If so, what is the longest time you have achieved to let the machine sleep, and successfully resume it?

Right now im running the gtx 980 exclusively. I was have minor glitches with the 630 and just decided to move on. I think my last step was just setting the bios ram to 64mbs though which I did but I havnt tested it since the 980 has been working.

So far my Kabylake has gone in to sleep mode for several hours. Everything on the computer shuts down, monitor, fans and all. The only issue I was having when waking back up is that it would disconnect my external usb drives giving me a notification they wernt disconnected correctly. I think this happens on my macbook pro as well. It was interfering with some large file transfers so I turned it off so it could finish.

With the Skylake build I use, It wasnt working at all for the most part. I had made that darkwake=8 change in the Kabylake build when I did it, so after things were working there I also set it in the Skylake build. I may be mistaken that was the only and exact change, but everything seems to work on the Skylake build now as well.

However, is sleep/wake video card related as well?

i think most people are having HD530/630 wake issue.
If you have a discrete gpu, either ATI or nVidia, sleep and wakes will work just fine. Hibernation may not.

The sleep/wake KP has been always a GPU problem discovered since HD530 in most Skylake desktop chips.
What you did possibly have nothing to do with solving your sleep/wake problem, since you are using a 980.
It is expected to work.

USB is another story tho.
If you turn off your computer while it is transferring data, I think that's where the problem lies.
But if it just randomly disconnect and reconnect, you need a SSDT patch for that.

FYI, both HD530 & HD630 have the glitch which can be fixed by tweaking bios and a few config.plist patch.

i think most people are having HD530/630 wake issue.
If you have a discrete gpu, either ATI or nVidia, sleep and wakes will work just fine. Hibernation may not.

The sleep/wake KP has been always a GPU problem discovered since HD530 in most Skylake desktop chips.
What you did possibly have nothing to do with solving your sleep/wake problem, since you are using a 980.
It is expected to work.

USB is another story tho.
If you turn off your computer while it is transferring data, I think that's where the problem lies.
But if it just randomly disconnect and reconnect, you need a SSDT patch for that.

FYI, both HD530 & HD630 have the glitch which can be fixed by tweaking bios and a few config.plist patch.
I see, that all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying about the issue being hd530/630 related. I was hesitant posting this thread because I was thinking it could be unrelated. But its good to know now. I think you are right because i did not have the gtx web drivers installed when I tried before.

Mods can delete this thread if needed.

I have a GTX 980 in my kaby lake Z270 system now, and wake still doesn't work. I haven't tried the darkwake 8 setting yet - will do that in a few hours when I get home.

i had the Intel HD 630 working perfectly before that too. The 980 was purchased ~2 weeks after. Wake has never worked for me using either graphics option.

I spoke too soon above. I must not have actually tried sleep/wake since installing the video card. @GhostHitWall you are right, it seems to be fine with NVIDIA graphics (at least in my situation).

HOWEVER, my system wakes back up by itself after 2-3 seconds :( That will be the next problem I tackle. But at least it wakes up!

@fanclub The problem you describe is another problem other than the infamous wake issue.
I suppose there's fix for it, you might just dig in a little bit more into USB SSDT and CPU power step SSDT.

I found the culprit. I have a Corsair H100i CPU cooler and it requires a connection to the motherboard via a usb2 header. my motherboard has no usb2 headers so i'm using a different cable and running it through to a usb port at the back of the case. unplugging this will let it sleep without the instant wake up. i dont actually need to have this cable plugged in, so this is pretty much as good as solved for me. :)

I wonder if your Skylake doesn't reboot after darkwaking from deep sleep. Mine does. :(
I boot with darkwake=8 and have a GTX750 inserted on my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3 board.
If I wake it after only a few minutes of few hours then all is ok, but after longer periods > 12 hours, then it has rebooted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back