Kaby-Lake HS inside Apple ][ Floppy Drive

Discussion in 'Completed Mods' started by phunguss, Jun 19, 2018.

1. phunguss

phunguss

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
    CPU:
    3.6GHz i7-7700
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 630
    Mac:
    MacBook, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jun 19, 2018 at 4:38 PM #1
    phunguss

phunguss

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
    CPU:
    3.6GHz i7-7700
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 630
    Mac:
    MacBook, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    I have been wanting to do this build for a long time. I know there was a version with a mac mini core solo back in 2009 (Gizmodo), but I wanted a little more power. Here is the hardware I chose:
    • i7-7700 3.6GHz 65W Kaby-Lake
    • 32GB SDRAM (2x16 SODIMM DDR4)
    • 250GB M.2 WD SSD
    • Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
    • Broadcom BCM94352Z NGFF Dual Band 802.11ac Wifi BT 4.0
    • Apple ][ Floppy drive for the case
    • Apple IR
    • Dell notebook 2Watt internal speakers
    • USB3/C expansion hub
    • Apple slot load drive from macbook pro
    I have all the hardware/software working except HDMI audio, which I hope to correct shortly. I retained the original floppy locking tab and it functions, but you have to open it before trying to eject a CD/DVD so it does not jam the optical drive. I originally purchased the ASUS mini-STX H110 Desktop kit (used), but the mobo fried and I didn't like the cheezy drive connectors, so I switched to Gigabyte which has real SATA connectors and a built in 2Watt audio output. I have to finish some painting and cleanup, and will post all the kexts and configuration info soon...
    525drivefront.jpg 525driveHS.png 525driveside.jpg HackMini6-2 STX i7-7700 GB4.png

Standard UniBeast install, (yes I am a noob so I don't always know which tools to use or how to implement them) and these are the hacks used to get everything fully functional. OOTB, things that didn't work: 630 iGPU graphics, wifi, audio, onboard Ethernet port. RehabMan has a lot of good fixes out there. FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi kext fixed my wifi, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics kext fixed the 630 graphics, RehabMan's IntelMausiEthernet kext fixed my wired Ethernet, and AppleHDAPatcher app fixed my internal audio. The IR receiver is from a macbook (bought off eBay), simply soldered to jumpers and put on the internal motherboard USB header. I am using a 3.5" drive face with two USB 3.0 and one USB-C as well as the audio jacks on the right side of the case, since the motherboard connectors on the front of the motherboard are not accessible. I have a USB-C to USB3.0 adapter on the right side as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. phunguss

phunguss

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
    CPU:
    3.6GHz i7-7700
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 630
    Mac:
    MacBook, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jun 25, 2018 at 6:04 PM #2
    phunguss

phunguss

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
    CPU:
    3.6GHz i7-7700
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 630
    Mac:
    MacBook, Mac mini
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    My complete hardware write up is on Instructables, I will add the software write up soon!

Raziel708 likes this.
  3. dalogue

dalogue

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte (GA-H77N-WIFI)
    CPU:
    Intel I7-3770
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GTX-970
    Mac:
    Mac mini
    Classic Mac:
    iMac
    Sep 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM #3
    dalogue

dalogue

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte (GA-H77N-WIFI)
    CPU:
    Intel I7-3770
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GTX-970
    Mac:
    Mac mini
    Classic Mac:
    iMac
    A very significant feature of this build is that this is the first Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3 that I have seen posted.

I am pleased that you will share what you needed to do to get this to work with HS and possibly a copy of your EFI directory.
    (Was there any problem with the Realtek ALC255 codec?)

Your implementation in the Apple ][ Floppy drive is amazing. I do have some questions:
    1. Your DVD drive using the floppy door is great (the door latch still works). Do you have a template for your homemade adapter for the latch?
    2. The activity LED is a good idea. Can you provide a drawing of the LED circuit and parts you used? (possibly in the Instructable)
    3. The internal speaker option is a nice touch. Where did you install the internal speaker in the case?
    4. Where did you install the IR sensor in the case?
    5. The additional cooling fan is nice as well. What is the model of the cooling fan? (I can't read the number from the photo.)
    Also, I like the M.2 SSD as the storage option in addition to the i7-7700 CPU and 32GB of memory.

Another minor question though. Why did you only attach one antenna to your WiFi card? You can see that there are two connectors on the PCIe card.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 12:35 AM