Contribute
Register

k5000 in a hack... Will Windows version work? are we supported yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i7 gigabyte
CPU
i7 6 core
Graphics
quadro 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm looking to build a high end post production machine that dual boots Win and OSX 10.8.

I want to use an SR-X board with dual E5 2687Ws.

I'm wondering about the graphics. Need to have a quadro in this machine as I use Assimilate Scratch that requires a quadro card for full functionality. I have a few 4000's but the performance in OSX is a bit disappointing compared to the 5800 I currently use in Windows.

So... I'd like to use a K5000 since this has been announced for Mac. My questions are these:

Do I need a mac version of the card or will a Hackintosh work with a Windows version? Also, if it's dual boot will a Mac version work in Windows? What's the best strategy here?

Has anybody heard about these cards not working on an SR-X board? I saw something on Newegg about this that concerned me.

Are the K5000's supported in OSX yet or will there be a wait on it working?

Lastly, I've heard some talk of the 6000's working in Macs. There is a guy selling 6000's on ebay advertised for macs who says he has hacked something. Seems like we'd have heard more if this was really a viable path, but I'd love to have 6000 performance in OSX. Anybody know?

I know that's a lot of questions, but basically they boil down to will a K5000 work and which one should I get?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Interesting.

I think the difference of the "for Mac" versions is the bootcode in the ROMs, and that you would want the normal one in a PC (especially if you're going to dual-boot Windows). It would also indicate that nVidia can supply OS X drivers I suppose.

On a hardware level the K5000 has more (and faster) RAM and more CUDA cores than the 4000. single-precision FLOPS have gone up, but double-precision has slowed way down. And the K5000 uses a bit less power.
Then the 5000 has a different set of specs to the K5000, or the 4000, or the 6000. In some ways the 6000 is slower than the K5000 (but uses almost double the power).

So which one would be best for you really depends on the workload you're going to throw at it. I would not make assumptions that just because the model number is higher that it will be better for you.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/product-comparison/Product_Comparison_Oct_2012.pdf

Thanks for the reply DBP. From what I've read the K5000 should most definitely outperform the 4000 in a Mac but it's unclear by how much. At this point nobody has really tested it since it's not been released yet. I feel comfortable that it will be an improvement.

Sadly, our 580 is amazingly great in one of our Hacks built on a Supermicro board BUT does not fully support Assimilate Scratch which is the core app that I'll be using on this system. For everything else the 580 is fantastic and it's dual bootable but Scratch needs a Quadro for full functionality. (The 580 actually works great with Scratch until you pair it with a Red Rocket card for RED footage and then fails.)

So again I'm wondering will a K5000 (PC version) also work in a Mac. It stands to reason that it would since the 580 (PC version) is working great. Maybe I just need to make sure I have a good return policy on a PC version.

Too many Hacks that didn't work in the past because I went too far out on a limb with hardware... But it's so tempting to try :)

SUCCESSFUL QUADRO K5000 Dualboot machine

So get this.

I built this hack-pro: http://www.tonymacx86.com/333-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-february-2013.html#socket_2011

And ran it with 3x GTX 680's and had 12x 1920x1080 displays powered from one machine in OSX.
I also have windows 7 installed on a seperate hard drive, where I just change my boot setting to boot in win7

THEN I recently bought a windows based Quadro K5000. I plugged it in, booted win7 and installed quadro driver, then rebooted in OSX to see what would happen and everything works great in OSX.

Cinema 4D works great.

WOW

THEN I recently bought a windows based Quadro K5000. I plugged it in, booted win7 and installed quadro driver, then rebooted in OSX to see what would happen and everything works great in OSX.

Cinema 4D works great.

WOW

Thanks for posting- can i bother you to create a new thread with some screenshots/details of the card? :thumbup::mrgreen:

See what the K5000 gets in Unigine Heaven 4.0 and Luxmark if possible. I'd be extremely interested in the results. As well as your 680 setup.

SUCCESSFUL QUADRO K5000 Dualboot machine

So get this.

I built this hack-pro: http://www.tonymacx86.com/333-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-february-2013.html#socket_2011

And ran it with 3x GTX 680's and had 12x 1920x1080 displays powered from one machine in OSX.
I also have windows 7 installed on a seperate hard drive, where I just change my boot setting to boot in win7

Cinema 4D works great.

WOW

i've started recently to use pro apps like after effects cs6 and maya and i'm extremely interested in this topic... in the near future i'll buy a Gigabyte gtx 680 4gb an turn it into a Quadro K5000 (now i have an Asus Gtx 580, Mountain Lion 10.8.3 done with UniBeast and all the necessary Multibeast adjustments to make it work, including the latest Cuda Drivers). So you're saying that your PC Version Quadro K5000 worked flawlessly and fully recognized when u booted back to mackintosh? if so, then it's GREAT NEWS for me! I'll not have the need to put into it the real mac rom of the card (if i find it)... Tell me your experience with this monster...

Im running a windows based K5000 in my machine.
But the cards not running at full potential, it feels like it's being throttled. Benchmark tests show that my 4000 is beating the K5000 which shouldn't be the case at all.
Has anyone had problems with speed and performance with this card?
Hopefully the 10.8.4 update will fix this!

HI i have the chance tu buy a windows based Quadro k5000 at a really good price (too good to let it pass) and i wanted to know if mac949 managged to get it runing properly. wich drivers did you use? I aslo would love to see PeterParkerBrodhead's build in detail as he report a succes with the k5000.

Any news about the k5000 runing in a customac will be most apreciatted.

cheers
-jio

Hey guys, any news about the K5000[win]? Just got one, and it's always on full clock but with very poor performance [45 fps on Cinebench/ 40fps on Valley]. I'm on High Sierra, with the latest webdrivers / cuda drivers. Am i missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back