Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M D3H GSM
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
My wife's iMac is dying and I've wanted to have a go at building a Hackintosh ever since I found out it was an option. Never built my own computer before but I quite enjoy working things out. I wanted a macOS/Windows machine for work and a bit of photo editing (with some RAWs). So I got these bits after doing a bit of homework and put them together:

processor . core i5-8400
motherboard . Gigabyte H370M D3H
graphics . Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Low Profile
memory . Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (16GB)
drive 1 . Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
drive 2 . Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
power . Corsair RM550x
case . BitFenix Phenom M (White)

Seems to be working ok. Am running High Sierra. Geekbench is 5023. I think I did something like this:

Download macOS Sierra and create USB installer with UniBeast:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Get IntelMausi 2.4.0 and add to USB stick along with KextBeast, EFI Mounter v3, spare FakeSMC.kext and apfs.efi, and finally MultiBeast (both Sierra and High Sierra versions).

Make sure graphics card is unplugged.

Now install Sierra and then create bootloader with MultiBeast, just bare bones.
  • UEFI boot mode
  • Clover UEFI boot mode
Use KextBeast to install network driver follow these instructions to update to High Sierra (unplug the USB stick before installing!):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

While waiting, read this:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/read-me-first-graphics-setup-troubleshooting.183617/

Once complete run High Sierra MultiBeast and install:
  • USBInjectAll
  • Clover UEFI boot mode + emulated NVRAM
  • NVIDIA web drivers boot flag
Build and then use this to install NVIDIA web drivers:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-update-simple-way-to-install-nvidia-web-drivers.244987/

Turn off and plug in the graphics card, should be working when you power up again.

Now for fixing the sound, try this:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...p-realtek-applehda-guide.219810/#post-1492288

Tried to understand it, but failed. Installed H370 Audio Device ID Patch - restarted. Installed ALC892. No audio devices visible. Installed AppleALC - restarted. Audio working!

I don't need WiFi so didn't bother with that. And I haven't got an iPhone so don't need iMessage.

Is this worth sharing in the build section? Having never done this before I don't know. But it seemed pretty straightforward.

If so, what else would I need to verify is working first?

Very grateful to many people on this site for all the useful guides. Thank you thank you.

If you want to post this in User Builds, look at some of those examples and read the sticky with all the guidelines to follow to meet the requirements. If you don't want to do all that you could post in High Sierra Desktop Guides.

As stated in the User Build description Template, the build description is just as much as why you chose your build components than the installation guide. I recommend you read the Template, read several of the Golden Build descriptions and, when you write your description for your build, pretend you're explaining it to your wife or mother as new users are your target audience. (It's called passing the Spousal Test.)

pretend you're explaining it to your wife or mother as new users are your target audience. (It's called passing the Spousal Test.)
That's an interesting way to look at the guide writing process. I would never expect my Mom to attempt this but she does use a Chromebook and an Android smartphone. What I do when writing a guide is look at it from the perspective of someone/anyone that has never done this before. I also consider the reality that some of my readers do not even speak English or comprehend it well. Google translate often can't handle hackintosh terminology. Here is where some screenshots are really helpful for followers of the guide. Then after the guide is done, you'll get to make edits and changes from the feedback you get. People always point out where things are not clear to them, where they got confused or just don't know what something means.

Thanks both - TBH I chose the build components because they were amongst the cheapest on the list of recommended parts! As it happens my new mac/PC is unexpectedly quite a bit faster than my 1 year old i7 laptop. I'm very pleased with it. I referred to a quite few of the user builds and golden builds while I was putting it together but am aware it isn't nearly as impressive as some of the rigs there... I don't do gaming or anything particularly intensive so I would imagine there is a fairly limited bunch of fellow nerds who would be interested in putting together what is essentially a pretty ordinary PC that will run macOS but I think my mom would be proud so I'll have a go at a user guide later when I've tested things out a bit more thoroughly. Either that or she would be concerned about the amount of time it has taken me away from my family :)

she would be concerned about the amount of time it has taken me away from my family
As a counterpoint, the new CustoMac is so much faster than the old iMac (endless spinning beach balls) it will take much less time to complete tasks on it and then you and your wife will have more time for your family.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can either.
One of the major benefits of writing up your User Build is that when you recall exactly what you did and then record all the steps, you not only help others, you also have a written record for yourself. If you ever have to go back and re-install it's all in there for you to review. It makes no difference whether your build cost 100 dollars or 1000 dollars. Someone will be able to benefit from what you write up.

Writing also helps you understand what you did better than if you simply get your hack working and never look back at the finer details. Every guide and User Build I've written has greatly helped me in the learning process of how to do all of this. Readers of your User Build will also help you figure problems out that you may not be able to on your own. It's a really good idea. We have Stork, MacMan and tonymacx86 to thank for creating this community and providing the examples to follow and everyone that has posted a guide or User Build with valuable information. It's what this community is all about. Writing really good and easy to follow guides on hackintoshing to help others find their way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back