Contribute
Register

Just finished G5 I7 Hackintosh

Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
57
Motherboard
Asus Maximus
CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, first let me start by saying thanks to this whole forum because without all the info here I would never of been able to finish this project.

Its a I7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz, 16GB Gskill 1600 Ram, 256GB SSD OS drive, 500GB 2.5" Data drive, HD 6800 video card, modded PC Power& Cooling 750w PS in stock location, and the H100 water cooling system with upgraded AP-15 fans. Now all I need is to add wireless and bluetooth. Anyone know whats the most compatible way when running Lion?





 
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,423
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Really nice neat mod. Well done. :thumbup:

For bluetooth probably most compatible you will find is with the thread on this forum here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14836 about using Apple bluetooth modules - that has the best chance of staying compatible too.

For wifi I would suggest a mini-PCI-e to PCI-e converter card and using one of the mini-pcie cards that come as standard Apple fitment. Again, going Apple original equipment route means best chance of not needing extra kexts and being maximum functional.

This thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=31027 goes into detail on both wifi and BT

By the way, is your H100 exhausting hot air out of the front or is it going through the G5 and then out of the back? And how do you like this cooler?
 
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
57
Motherboard
Asus Maximus
CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
minihack said:
Really nice neat mod. Well done. :thumbup:

For bluetooth probably most compatible you will find is with the thread on this forum here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14836 about using Apple bluetooth modules - that has the best chance of staying compatible too.

For wifi I would suggest a mini-PCI-e to PCI-e converter card and using one of the mini-pcie cards that come as standard Apple fitment. Again, going Apple original equipment route means best chance of not needing extra kexts and being maximum functional.

This thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=31027 goes into detail on both wifi and BT

By the way, is your H100 exhausting hot air out of the front or is it going through the G5 and then out of the back? And how do you like this cooler?


Thanks for the advice on the wireless and bluetooth. BTW I love your G5 mod with the 120mm fan in the back. My next G5 mod is going to have that for sure. I already have a Lian-Li tray that has a 120mm rear fan I will use. As for the H100, I love it. It keeps the 2600K cool and with the AP-15 fans its still super quiet. To answer your question, it exhausts out the back. The front is used as the intake.
 
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,423
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
slv335i said:
Thanks for the advice on the wireless and bluetooth. BTW I love your G5 mod with the 120mm fan in the back. My next G5 mod is going to have that for sure. I already have a Lian-Li tray that has a 120mm rear fan I will use. As for the H100, I love it. It keeps the 2600K cool and with the AP-15 fans its still super quiet. To answer your question, it exhausts out the back. The front is used as the intake.

Thanks for that too. :D

I really like the way you have done the wiring management too. I think it's great when the inside looks as neat as the outside.

Yeah, I am thinking about the H100 for one of my projects, but the only way I'd be able to use it is in the front. Trouble is on the case I am modding I can't put good exhaust fans on the back (it's not a G5), so I'm afraid it might just put hot air into the case and not get it out fast enough. Shame though, I have read a lot of good things about the H100 and I think it looks really good on your G5 mod.
 
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
57
Motherboard
Asus Maximus
CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
minihack said:
slv335i said:
Thanks for the advice on the wireless and bluetooth. BTW I love your G5 mod with the 120mm fan in the back. My next G5 mod is going to have that for sure. I already have a Lian-Li tray that has a 120mm rear fan I will use. As for the H100, I love it. It keeps the 2600K cool and with the AP-15 fans its still super quiet. To answer your question, it exhausts out the back. The front is used as the intake.

Thanks for that too. :D

I really like the way you have done the wiring management too. I think it's great when the inside looks as neat as the outside.

Yeah, I am thinking about the H100 for one of my projects, but the only way I'd be able to use it is in the front. Trouble is on the case I am modding I can't put good exhaust fans on the back (it's not a G5), so I'm afraid it might just put hot air into the case and not get it out fast enough. Shame though, I have read a lot of good things about the H100 and I think it looks really good on your G5 mod.


What size fans will your case have? 80mm? The two rear 80mm fans I am running put out a good amount of air and are also silent.
 
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,423
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
slv335i said:
minihack said:
slv335i said:
Thanks for the advice on the wireless and bluetooth. BTW I love your G5 mod with the 120mm fan in the back. My next G5 mod is going to have that for sure. I already have a Lian-Li tray that has a 120mm rear fan I will use. As for the H100, I love it. It keeps the 2600K cool and with the AP-15 fans its still super quiet. To answer your question, it exhausts out the back. The front is used as the intake.

Thanks for that too. :D

I really like the way you have done the wiring management too. I think it's great when the inside looks as neat as the outside.

Yeah, I am thinking about the H100 for one of my projects, but the only way I'd be able to use it is in the front. Trouble is on the case I am modding I can't put good exhaust fans on the back (it's not a G5), so I'm afraid it might just put hot air into the case and not get it out fast enough. Shame though, I have read a lot of good things about the H100 and I think it looks really good on your G5 mod.


What size fans will your case have? 80mm? The two rear 80mm fans I am running put out a good amount of air and are also silent.

Well, it's a G4 Powermac Mirror Drive Door case. The way I have it sorted at the moment is that there is a lot of room at the front for fans. I actually have more than enough space there for an H100 if I went that direction - at the moment I have a couple of 120s in position. BUT on those cases there is not much scope for any fans at the back (at least not easily) so it's a question of keeping as much ventilation as you can and just pulling it through the case from front to back.

Anyway, that's going a bit off topic - I'll start a thread on mine when it's a bit more ready.

All best.

:D
 
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
57
Motherboard
Asus Maximus
CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, good luck with your next project. ill keep an eye out for it.
 
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
119
Motherboard
Mini
CPU
G540
Graphics
5450
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
wow! amazing tidiness! congrats man you did a superb mod! :clap:
question:

-did u sleeve the psu cables yourself ? extensions? which ones?
-did u wire the front i/o yourself? hard?
Ive never used a soldering iron before so im such a n00b when it comes to that. :shh:

P0w
 
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
57
Motherboard
Asus Maximus
CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pahoran said:
wow! amazing tidiness! congrats man you did a superb mod! :clap:
question:

-did u sleeve the psu cables yourself ? extensions? which ones?
-did u wire the front i/o yourself? hard?
Ive never used a soldering iron before so im such a n00b when it comes to that. :shh:

P0w

Hey thanks. This was the first time I have tried sleeving, I'm sure next time I will be much better at it but I am overall happy with the outcome. I did reduce the length of both the 24pin and 8pin ATX power cables so the fit better. I also modded the SATA power cable that runs to the top of the case so it has the length to reach both hard drives and the DVD drive.

The I/O cable is the only item I didn't try to do. I was about to start and saw another forum member that sells them per made for about $30. Really nice quality. I'm sure I could of done it but for $30 I didn't have to think about it. I wanted something to be easy with this mod.

I'm ok with soldering when it comes to wires or something basic. It's soldering circuit boards that gets a bit more tricky. I would recommend going on YouTube and watching a few videos on soldering before starting. Everything's on YouTube. Oh and the last thing if you do want to put a power supply into the stock Apple PSU location make sure to buy a PSU that has a large fan on the top side of it. Not the type that has a 80mm fan on the side like the PC Power & Cooling as I did. Had to mod that by cutting down the heatsink inside the PSU to allow it to fit with the stock Apple cover on. Good luck.
 
Top