CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
UHD 630 & RX 580 Pulse 8GB Lite
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just a warning with these, I purchased a Asus h87i plus to try as a haswell test rig with os x mavericks (registered developer for ios and mac).

Anyway the Asus BIOS has a bug in it (according to Asus can't remember my source currently) But it basically means it won't boot from a gpt partition, and only from a mbr.

on the Asus h87i plus you can only flash the bios using the asus ezflash 2 suite Meaning you can't used a modded BIOS.

Real pain in the ass, anyway, for now I'm changing the board to a gigabyte h87n wifi. Let's see how that goes.

If you look over on the insanelymac forum, more and more people seem to be finding it on the 87 boards.

Just a warning with these, I purchased a Asus h87i plus to try as a haswell test rig with os x mavericks (registered developer for ios and mac).

Anyway the Asus BIOS has a bug in it (according to Asus can't remember my source currently) But it basically means it won't boot from a gpt partition, and only from a mbr.

on the Asus h87i plus you can only flash the bios using the asus ezflash 2 suite Meaning you can't used a modded BIOS.

Real pain in the ass, anyway, for now I'm changing the board to a gigabyte h87n wifi. Let's see how that goes.
This issue is fixed... I bought a rather cheap Asus GRYPHON Z87 ($129.00 @ MicroCenter) and a 4770k, no issues at all. The board does have the USB Flashback feature but who wants to keep screwing with a modded bios? With that said, to get along here I don't promote Clover but if you use it and patch the AsusAICPUPM key in the config.plist there is no reason to patch the bios. Full PM works just fine, speedstep, wake, sleep, whatever...

Also: this is a Rocket-Ship little board, great build quality and a 5 warranty... Hmmm, wonder who keeps a board 5 years. LOL :lol:

Teaser: Oh, did I mention it works fine with a couple different versions of OSX?

One more thing: Not thinking this is worth the upgrade price, only a 3% to 5% increase in GB over the "Work Box" in my sig.

This issue is fixed... I bought a rather cheap Asus GRYPHON Z87 ($129.00 @ MicroCenter) and a 4770k, no issues at all. The board does have the USB Flashback feature but who wants to keep screwing with a modded bios? With that said, to get along here I don't promote Clover but if you use it and patch the AsusAICPUPM key in the config.plist there is no reason to patch the bios. Full PM works just fine, speedstep, wake, sleep, whatever...

Also: this is a Rocket-Ship little board, great build quality and a 5 warranty... Hmmm, wonder who keeps a board 5 years. LOL :lol:

Teaser: Oh, did I mention it works fine with a couple different versions of OSX?

One more thing: Not thinking this is worth the upgrade price, only a 3% to 5% increase in GB over the "Work Box" in my sig.

I dont think the issue is resolved as such. If it was then we would be able to boot using Unibeast. Clover does work as we know and you helped me getting mine up and running (Thanks!) but the underlying issue is still there.

Asus needs to issue a bios update to allow booting in legacy mode using an EFI partition and GPT partitioning style, rather than just MBR.

Its annoying for sure, but Clover gives us a workaround until Asus finally decide to do something about this.

Gigabyte boards dont appear to have this issue and neither do Asrock.

I have an Asus H87I-Plus and I couldn't boot using Unibeast with the version 306 bios it shipped with. I flashed it with an unmodded version 905 bios that Asus posted in December and was able to boot and install Mavericks 10.9.1 using Unibeast. I have subsequently flashed the board again with a modded 905 bios and also had success. I still have not had success getting various bootloaders to work, however, this is my first Hackintosh and it is too early for me to judge yet. At this point, I can only boot my Mavericks partition via my Unibeast usb stick. The bios has always listed my 2 SSDs in its boot menu, but it only recognizes the SSD with Linux partitions as a "boot option" under its "Boot option priorities" menu. So I believe that ASUS has only half repaired the issue with the latest bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back