1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i7 2600k @4,8GHz
Asus P8P67 Pro
dual GTX580
8GB RAM

Geekbench ~17000

Ok, so I installed 10.7.3 with Unibeast 1.3 and then 5xx support from Multibeast 4.5.1 (userDSTD). Everything seems to work OK, but I'm getting very poor OpenCL performance. Just 204 fps. I think it should easily be 400+. Also, the bottom half of the benchmark window (the waves) flickers extremely while rendering! I don't know if this is normal...

I then tried Official Nvidia GPU and CUDA drivers, modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and changing SMbios to 12,2, but got the same score :(

What is the best way nowadays to get the BEST out of a GTX580? I'm getting con used by the various (outdated) guides.

Also, is there any other OpenCL benchmark I could run and compare results with you guys?

Thanks very much!

mmhardky said:
Everything seems to work OK, but I'm getting very poor OpenCL performance. Just 204 fps. I think it should easily be 400+.
As I've posted elsewhere I'm not convinced that the OpenCL enabler for GTX 5xx cards actually works properly. While technically it does enable OpenCL, the performance I've seen with my 550 Ti can only be described as terrible. And I've seen others report very poor OpenCL performance with GTX 5xx cards as well.

I think that for most people, they just install the OpenCL enabler for GTX 5xx cards, check that OpenCL works and then they're done. I don't think any of them notice that their OpenCL performance actually really sucks. I've been trying just about everything to improve the OpenCL performance of my 550 Ti with no luck.

I just don't think that OpenCL is really working properly for Fermi cards with the OpenCL enabler. I'd love to hear from GTX 5xx users that actually have good OpenCL performance.

Cheers

Download and install Luxmark 2 then run mid scene "sala" and post the results. I've got 965 on GTX470 and 1290 on GTX 580. Compare with this list: http://www.luxrender.net/luxmark/top/top20/Sala/GPU/1

It seems that the LuxMark unlike Unigine ist CPU insensitive. Just swapped a Q6660 for a I7 - 2006k. I'm also running both systems as MacPro5,1.

I think it has to do with the 'fix' which lets OSX think all cards are OpenCL 1.1
So you're not using the latest capabilities of your 580.
I remember seeing a post about bin patching manually to other values... search is friend ;)
Only my thoughts...

Here are my Luxmark 2 results:

GPUs only:

Complex (Room)> 1055
Medium (Sala)> 2114
Simple (Luxball)> 16069

I don't know how this compares to other hackintoshes or real Mac Pro's

But it's pretty erratic. I'm getting different results almost every time. Sometimes just 1/4 of the points....

plz use only one gpu. you can deselect it in luxmark. compare your results yourself with the database: http://www.luxrender.net/luxmark/top/top20/Sala/GPU/1
however opencl seems to be working

mmhardky said:
But it's pretty erratic. I'm getting different results almost every time. Sometimes just 1/4 of the points....

Probably you have still issues with power management of your mobo.

I reinstalled 10.7.3.

I'm getting 1055 with 1 gpu and 2110 with 2. The results are now consistent.

Sala Result: 1172
luxmark_bench_gtx580_1.tiff

Sala Result: 1160
luxmark_gtx580_2.tiff

Little bit of variation going on.

MSI GTX580 TwinFrozrII

OSX 7.3

Attachments

• luxmark_bench_gtx580_1.tiff
    569 KB · Views: 248
  • luxmark_gtx580_2.tiff
    151 KB · Views: 259