Contribute
Register

June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Using this thread, I successfully upgraded to El Capitan from Mountain Lion :headbang:

Thank you for all the awesome advice and great documentation :clap:

I have the June 2013 CustoMac Pro build and just switched from Chameleon to Clover. To anyone that's holding out on switching to Clover, I highly recommend that you make the jump! That was the more difficult of the two steps, but I used this thread to test the install.

The "generate config" feature of the Clover Configurator helped me get by my black screen of death. I basically used the config.plist from the configurator mixed with the basic config from the USB drive and it worked!

Afterwards, I did the following in the Rt Variables section of the configurator:
  • BooterConfig = 0x28
  • CsrActiveConfig = 0x3

I then moved my kexts from the 10.8 folder to the 10.11 and downloaded straight from the app store. I let it do its thing, then launched into El Capitan from Clover.

The only downsides so far - no audio and it flipped my primary and secondary monitor around, but those should be easy enough to fix.

Final config.plist file attached!

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 107
[SUCCESS that turned into a FAIL] June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

UGH.. So after a seemingly simple audio fix was applied, it bricked my system. I figured a time machine restore would've fixed it, but it only set me back further... Now I'm getting the boot0af error and can't even boot with the USB Clover loader - it just goes in an infinite loop.

I've been googling and searching the forums but I'm drawing a blank here... How can I fix this without reformatting?

Edit: to clarify, the restore was from after the el capitan update, from an hour before I tried the audio fix.

[SUCCESS turned into a FAIL] June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

IMG_5645.jpg

Any idea what this means or how to fix it? If I add either my Clover USB boot or my Clover Based Unibeast USB I can see the "Boot Mac OS X" option, but then it just goes to this screen for a second and reboots.

If you need any additional details, please let me know.. Thanks..

[From Success to Fail] June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

In the picture of the boot dump, I tried to clear the dart boot flag, which then apparently corrupted the UniBeast USB - now I get the same boot error..

So I figured I'd try the recovery option from the Clover USB one more time to see if there were any options that could help... And now I'm stuck at the gray screens with the spinning beach ball. I think I'm going to take a break from this before I break it even further.

:|

[SUCCESS] June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

Ok, back at it again...

From the "big list of solutions to problems" thread, I went through these steps:
2. Can't get to (Clover) boot menu
Clover doesn't boot, just shows boot0af error
Usually in Clover Legacy Boot Mode.

• Try recreating the installer USB using Master Boot Record (MBR) instead of GUID.
  • If that doesn't work, see this post
  • If using MBR in legacy mode, see this post
  • If you can boot from USB but not system drive, and one of the drives is using CoreStorage (e.g. from an old software RAID or encrypted drive setup) and you can do without it:
    • Boot from the install USB to El Capitan (or Recovery)
    • Open Terminal
    • Run "diskutil list" to see all drives
    • Run "diskutil corestorage revert /dev/diskX" (where X is the drive with CoreStorage)
    • Install Clover again to the El Capitan drive
I got a 3rd USB drive and set it up as a Clover boot with MRB instead of GUID. I went into the Base OS X option and got into Disk Utility... From there, I used this method:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/109717-how-do-you-fix-boot0af-error.html

After using the boot1h trick, I'm able to get back to my usual Clover Boot Manager screen... But when I choose "Boot Mac OS X", it just reboots. I'm going to try enabling verbose mode to see if that gives me any more details.. If anyone has any thoughts in the mean time, I'd appreciate it..

Edit: Verbose mode just reboots me.. It's too quick to get a picture, but I will try to get a video. I can get into Safe Mode, but the video is extremely choppy - part of the screen blinks white every other second. Any ideas?

[SUCCESS] June 2013 CustoMac Pro from Mountain Lion to El Capitan in one update!

Are you intending to run Clover in Legacy or UEFI mode?

Thank you for the reply. Is it possible for a moderator to remove the "[SUCCESS]" part on this thread since it's currently not booting outside of Safe Mode? If so, could you also remove the "in one update!" part?

I'm intending to run in UEFI mode. After the initial update, it worked great minus the sound. After running audio_pikeralphaALC-110.command and restarting it seems as though I can only get into Safe Mode now.

I've been battling with it for 3 days in a row now.
My current boot args are -v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0

I've recently tried the following to no avail:
GraphicsEnable = No
IGPEnable = No
nv_disable=1

Tried removing the numbered folders from the system EFI folder, leaving all the KEXTS in the “Other” folder - no change.

Can’t boot into single user verbose mode (sorry, not sure why it's rotating the image - it was saved in the correct format on my MacBook Pro..)
Single user verbose.jpg

Any suggestions for what to try next?

Attached are my IOJones, DSDT & DPCI Status if it helps diagnose the reason why I can't boot from the system:

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• DPCI Status.tiff
    111.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSDT.aml
    46.2 KB · Views: 151
  • iMac.acpi
    55.2 KB · Views: 101
  • iMac.iojones
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back