Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Jpgs won't open in Preview Mojave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

You have Realtek 8111 Lan so use the corresponding Lan kext
Audio is ALC892

Did you use a config from another guide/user with the same hardware? As UtterDisbelief says you are missing a lot of stuff that should be preventing your build from working. If you have anything worth backing yo then please do so before you erase the complete drive by formatting it Fat, then reformatting for macOS. This way you get rid of everything and you can have a fresh start.

EDIT: IF you erase this installation, then sign out of any Apple iCloud services and the MAS first.

If you have a spare drive, perhaps try a fresh install on that first. Don't sign in to any apple services including the MAS, iMessage, iCloud, itunes as that may cause issues with your existing Apple ID.

You have Realtek 8111 Lan so use the corresponding Lan kext
Audio is ALC892

Did you use a config from another guide/user with the same hardware? As UtterDisbelief says you are missing a lot of stuff that should be preventing your build from working. If you have anything worth backing yo then please do so before you erase the complete drive by formatting it Fat, then reformatting for macOS. This way you get rid of everything and you can have a fresh start.

EDIT: IF you erase this installation, then sign out of any Apple iCloud services and the MAS first.

If you have a spare drive, perhaps try a fresh install on that first. Don't sign in to any apple services including the MAS, iMessage, iCloud, itunes as that may cause issues with your existing Apple ID.

And what should I select to make the USB 3.0 work?
No, on Sierra, I have selected all by myself on MultiBeast. The only files I will have to backup are pictures and documents, all the software I will reinstall from zero. When I format the drive, do I need to do anything special, because Mojave is using APFS?

What is MAS? The only Apple app that I am using, is Notes, that.. I guess is using my icloud account. I shouldn't log in after the fresh install? Then when I can log in? Thanks!

And what should I select to make the USB 3.0 work?

You are incredibly lucky to have functionality on USB 3.0 ports without doing anything. The following guide will get all ports working properly and USB 3.0 ports will work at full speed.

No, on Sierra, I have selected all by myself on MultiBeast. The only files I will have to backup are pictures and documents, all the software I will reinstall from zero. When I format the drive, do I need to do anything special, because Mojave is using APFS?

Why don't you also back up your existing config.plist to an external drive. The reason that you should first reformat the drive to to ensure that you completely erase your EFI partition to avoid further potential issues when reinstalling.

Follow the main Mojave guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

What is MAS?
Mac App Store

The only Apple app that I am using, is Notes, that.. I guess is using my icloud account. I shouldn't log in after the fresh install? Then when I can log in? Thanks!

Get everything set up to a point were you have Preview, USB and iMessage working correctly before you lock your Apple ID to this installation. Disregard iMessage if you are not going to use it.

The whole point of a fresh installation is to get Preview working for you - as this is important for you. :)

Good Luck.

Well as you can see:

1) it does NOT load into Clover Configurator.

2) There is NO SMBIOS present. So where is your Hack getting it's serial-number from? It must be the Clover-generated default. Take a look at it. Does it have the word "hack" in it?

3) You have no "Boot" section in there.

4) You have no "Kernel Kext and Patches".

Basically its not in a usual config.plist format and shouldn't work - except of course, it seems it does and you are booting fine and only have the JPEG preview problem. Pretty good going!

Only advice it seems appropriate to offer is to say: use MultiBeast to create a fully-populated config.plist. But I don't want to suggest that if it messes-up something else!

:crazy:

Is there a rational explanation - can this be remedied by using MultiBeast as a test if the user is going to erase the drive anyway?

Is there a rational explanation - can this be remedied by using MultiBeast as a test if the user is going to erase the drive anyway?

I really have no idea how this situation occurred. It took some convincing to get me to believe it booted at all. Only the builder can give us any clues.

I was wondering if perhaps there were more than one EFI partition on different drives and the config.plist offered was on the "piggy-back" drive, not the boot drive. That would explain why it was so wrecked but the system still booted.

I hadn't read that the builder was going to do a complete re-install at that point, nor suggest one because the system appeared to somehow be working and there might be a lot of data/activations involved.

There also appeared to be an EFI partition/folder with a few kexts in it, so I suggested that MultiBeast could be used to at least add an SMBIOS and not upset anything else too much.

Sadly with so little to go on perhaps I was wrong and should take a step back ...

Last edited:
I don't have an answer as how it appears to be running and booting so easily, but sometimes these things seem to happen. I do think that the only way to get Preview working in this instance is to start from scratch.

I really have no idea how this situation occurred. It took some convincing to get me to believe it booted at all. Only the builder can give us any clues.

I was wondering if perhaps there were more than one EFI partition on different drives and the config.plist offered was on the "piggy-back" drive, not the boot drive. That would explain why it was so wrecked but the system still booted.

I hadn't read that the builder was going to do a complete re-install at that point, nor suggest one because the system appeared to somehow be working and there might be a lot of data/activations involved.

There also appeared to be an EFI partition/folder with a few kexts in it, so I suggested that MultiBeast could be used to at least add an SMBIOS and not upset anything else too much.

Sadly with so little to go on perhaps I was wrong and should take a step back ...
I don't have an answer as how it appears to be running and booting so easily, but sometimes these things seem to happen. I do think that the only way to get Preview working in this instance is to start from scratch.

Hey guys, thank you for all your implication in helping me, really appreciate it!

I have made a printscreen to show what EfiMounter v3 is showing me when I open it.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.47.11.png

Then here you can see the 2 partitions what size they have and what they do contain.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.48.54.png

Here you can see that the computer has a SN and all the info after I used MultiBeast with Adrian's file.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.50.32.png

Now this is a printscreen with the config.plist from the EFI partition.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.53.00.png

I have made 4 printscreen with all the partitions that Clover Configurator is showing.. I have to admit, I don't know why there are so many, because I only have 1 SSD with 1 partition for the OS and 1 HDD with 1 partition for the rest of my files.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.54.47.pngScreenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.54.59.png
Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.55.06.pngScreenshot 2019-07-15 at 10.55.10.png

So to tell the story again, maybe I have missed some details that are important into solving my issue. I was running Sierra with no problems, but I started to want to update to Mojave so I started to read on this site. I updated Clover and did everything people said on this tutorial: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/

After updating Clover, I've had an issue where I couldn't boot, but I have found this tutorial and with it, I could fix the booting issue: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...F1LUbWOBa3FnRT0ntP0ZGTo-WZDGZt3BPOTL1pvrYbWpA

After this I have followed the updating tutorial in the first place and managed to install Mojave, everything was smooth and nice, but after a restart I saw that Clover wasn't automatically booting and that now instead of 2 options, I've had 4, something like this (image from Google).

124ffasd9g.jpg

I've read a bit on Google, found something where it said to modify something in Clover Configurator, from Boot section, but after a restart it haven't worked and it even made my ethernet say "Cable unplugged", issue which was solved with the reinstall of ethernet kext with Multibeast.

Sincer then all I've did was to try to make the .jpg issue work, by copying the NoVPAjpeg.kext in EFI partition or in Library/Extension, and that's all.

Like UtterDisbelief said.. a fresh format and install is not something I would like to do, just because as a wedding photographer, doing this in the middle of the wedding season is a bit time consuming and risking.

From what I understand, the SMBIOS was installed from the file Adrian sent (with Multibeast), right?

Thank you all again so much!

Here is a quick test for you. Power down the computer and remove the second drive (just disconnect power and Sata on the drive). Are you still able to reach the desktop in your installation?

Are you now running Mojave instead of High Sierra - if so which precise build version - see About this Mac. Which version of Clover is installed? Do you have a spare SSD?

Having a drive formatted as Fat32 is likely the route of your problems. I have some options, but first lets see what info you come back with regarding the questions I just asked.

Here is a quick test for you. Power down the computer and remove the second drive (just disconnect power and Sata on the drive). Are you still able to reach the desktop in your installation?

Are you now running Mojave instead of High Sierra - if so which precise build version - see About this Mac. Which version of Clover is installed? Do you have a spare SSD?

Having a drive formatted as Fat32 is likely the route of your problems. I have some options, but first lets see what info you come back with regarding the questions I just asked.

I have disconnected the second drive and the computer booted normaly, with no problems.

Yes, I am running Mojave and the update was from Sierra (not High Sierra). In this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/
I found other users that updated directly from Sierra to Mojave, that's why I tried it too.

The build of Mojave I am running is 10.14.5 (18F132). In the printscreen you can see what is showing up when Clover is booting and the version of Clover. Sadly no.. I don't have other drive around :(

I guess that Sierra was using the OS drive as FAT32, right? Didn't the Mojave installer converted it to APFS?

Attachments

• 67244479_450098702236800_8144299905037369344_n.jpg
    67244479_450098702236800_8144299905037369344_n.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 67448857_453434345514771_8471277195505958912_n.jpg
    67448857_453434345514771_8471277195505958912_n.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 76
I have disconnected the second drive and the computer booted normaly, with no problems.

Yes, I am running Mojave and the update was from Sierra (not High Sierra). In this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/
I found other users that updated directly from Sierra to Mojave, that's why I tried it too.

The build of Mojave I am running is 10.14.5 (18F132). In the printscreen you can see what is showing up when Clover is booting and the version of Clover. Sadly no.. I don't have other drive around :(

I guess that Sierra was using the OS drive as FAT32, right? Didn't the Mojave installer converted it to APFS?

Hello.

So it seems from your second screengrab in post #47 that you had/have two EFI partitions - one on the "Mojave" drive and one on the "Zu" drive ?

Now you have disconnected the "other" drive and Mojave boots correctly, have you tried again with Lilu and NoVPAJpeg.kext ? If so does Preview of JPEGs work yet? That was your original problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back