Contribute
Register

jorma's first build: i5-3570K, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P, GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost - Photoshop/Photo Edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-B75M-D3P
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody,

I work in photography and post production/retouch and I want to build a Hackintosh as my work station, replacing my (very) old MacBook Pro (early 2008). It is still running well, but it became just a bit slow. I basically want to use Photoshop CS5/6, Capture One and occasionally Adobe Premiere and After Effects as well as organizing and storing data.
I spent quite some time reading different threads, guides and build reviews here and I guess I might be able to start now with a little help from you. I don't want to build a high-end super-fast machine but I would like to stay in my budget of around 1000 euros while I still meet my demands, i.e. USB 3.0 and decent working speed.

These are the parts i bought:

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor (there was literally no price difference towards the i5-3570 at the time i bought it)

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P (USB 3.0 is working, at least with USB 3.0 devices)

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM 16GB

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost SC 2 GB

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
(as system Drive; using Trim Enabler directly from groth

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2GB HDD (as storage drive)

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 WLAN-N Dualband-Adapter (PCI-Express. 450 Mbps)

Corsair CX Series 500Watt Modular 80 Plus Bronze ATX/EPS (CX500M)

Apple Mountain Lion 10.8.4.
(I might want to upgrade to OS X Maverick some time in the future) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mountain-lion/id537386512?ls=1&mt=12

I already own:

EIZO CGW223W-BK Monitor (maybe I'll buy a second monitor some time in the future, that does not have to have hardware calibration)

Apple USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

Wacom Intuos 3 Graphic Tablet

Some time in the future i might want to try to add a hot swap dock (is this the right description) for 3.5 hard drives. If you got some tips regarding this topic, I'd be glad if you shared them with me.

Thank you in advance and again now to the whole community. I managed to set up the whole system just by reading and searching tonymacx86.com

Edit: My system is running! It went pretty easy using the 10.8. installation guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) with unibeast and multibeast. Sleep, sound and ethernet/wifi is working out of box.
I am booting with "PCIRootUID=0" and "GraphicsEnabler=No", which I put in the chamalaeon.boot.plist which is in the extra folder on my home directory.

Edit: I solved the problem regarding the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost SC not being able to access the BIOS on boot by echanging it for the an EVGA GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost SC. I might have had a broken card, although it worked if i reached OSX.

jorma's first build: i5-3570K, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost - Photoshop/Photo Editing and Thunderbolt

Nice build!

The best thing about your GPU is to post your question in the forum part about Graphic Boards.
There you are sure to get some good answers.

jorma's first build: i5-3570K, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost - Photoshop/Photo Editing and Thunderbolt

Thank you Thierry,

i've dont that.

I don't see why you PSU would be giving enough power…have you checked all of the connections? Do the fans spin up on power up? Are there any light indicators?

the fans are spinning on power up but there is not even a signal to the monitor, neither by the graphics card dvi port, nor by the motherboards. there are no light indicators on the card, but all the other (front led, ethernet activity) are lighting up.
i plugged the power connector into the the port which is descibed as "pcie 6+2". i also have another spot which is described as "esata+perpherials" which i think is not right.

Edit:
The card is working. After I plugged it in and in didn't boot again, I put the DVI from the internal DVI port on my motherboard in both of the DVI ports and suddenly it is booting until there is a grey screen. Kinda strange i think, but it works.
I then put in graphicsenabler=no and it boots up in OS X.
It takes quite a long time (internal graphics takes about 15-25 seconds, GTX 650 TI Boost takes about 45 seconds) and it seems as i can't get into bios anymore because my keyboard doesn't work in the bios screen when the graphics card is plugged in, which right now is not very important, but not cool at all...
Maybe someone has a fix for that, but right now I'm happy that everything is running.

Edit:

I flashed my BIOS to F6, installed the NVIDIA Web Drivers and put "PCIRootUID=0 nvda_drv=1 npci=0x3000" in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I don't know if in the BIOS "Init First Display" there is still PEG selected since I can't get in the BIOS.
My keyboard (Apple USB wired) doesn't work in the GIGABYTE startup screen. Del, F9 and F12 don#t work. It does work when the graphics card (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost SC) is not plugged in.

HELP PLEASE.

Edit:

I solved the problem by exchanging the Gigabyte Card against an EVGA card. Everything works fine now.

hey jorma, was wondering if you got the usb 3.0 working now because i heard the a few ports, as well as sata ports, were not working?

Hi djg,

USB 3.0 is working, the front ports and also the ones on the back panel.
BUT: USB 3.0 is pnly working with USB 3 devices, not with USB 2 devices and vice versa.
It worked like this out of box and I haven't tried to install anything via multibeast - maybe I will try later on.

good to know jorma, thank you for the info :D. but is the usb 2.0 ports working via i/o connectors? im just about to purchased the same mobo and save $50 from buying the up5.

oh you know what i didnt read your original post and thought you were building with the up4 th gigabyte mobo. my bad :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back