Contribute
Register

Jim's Suggested Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Suggested Builds for New Users

VideoLasVegas said:
We have one system built with the P55M-UD4/i5 750 and are getting ready to build a faster more powerful machine with a full size ATX board. I see that you are recommending the X58 for all out power and I'm wondering how far along all the tweaks are versus a P55 board. We'll be using a Nvidia GTX285 card for graphics to take advantage of CS5. Prior to reading your thread I was leaning towards a P55A-UD4P with a i7 860. We use our machines for video production and need something that isn't problematic so I'm certainly open to advice on the best choice for power, ease of build and reliability.

Right now there is a person on this board with that mb and processor, and can't get his RAM above 4 GB, so before you go that way, look up your processor on the board.

Tom

Just wanted to say, these posts and ideas are freaking great folks, thanks!

I'm looking to build out my own new box at home and this was perfect to find. Yee haw! :D

Tom,
Are you talking about a problem with the X58 MB or the P55 MB relative to the 4MB problem?

<but why do you want a full ATX board? There's honestly no speed difference, an d the P55M-UD4 is fine. If you really want the P55A-UD4P because of the new features (SATA3/USB3), then just patch your audio with MultiBeast.>

Jim,
I'm very happy with the P55M-UD4 we have; it is stable as a rock and quick.
Though we are very satisfied with our current system with the P55M-UD4, the reason for the full size P55 board is that this system will have a BlackMagic or Kona card, a Raid card and in the future I'm not sure what else so I want the flexibility of more slots and real estate on the board plus who knows what the future holds for Sata3 and USB3 relative to Apple upgrades so we will be ready for it without getting into additional cards.

Now you've got me thinking of the X58 configuration however and we'll need to get some input from people who've built that system before deciding.

Tony speaks very highly of the work you've done on the forum so I'm listening to you and anyone else that wants to contribute to this decision.

VideoLasVegas said:
Tom,
Are you talking about a problem with the X58 MB or the P55 MB relative to the 4MB problem?

It is 4GB...

I am talking about this:

VideoLasVegas said:
Prior to reading your thread I was leaning towards a P55A-UD4P with a i7 860.

I have been on his thread, and nothing has been fixed yet...

Tom

Jim,
I'm very happy with the P55M-UD4 we have; it is stable as a rock and quick.
Though we are very satisfied with our current system with the P55M-UD4, the reason for the full size P55 board is that this system will have a BlackMagic or Kona card, a Raid card and in the future I'm not sure what else so I want the flexibility of more slots and real estate on the board plus who knows what the future holds for Sata3 and USB3 relative to Apple upgrades so we will be ready for it without getting into additional cards.

Ah, I gotcha.. So you'll need about 3 cards for this board.. why not try the P55A-UD3? I haven't built my system yet, but that's the board I bought and it's sitting next to my bed right now. It supports SATA3/USB3 and has 3 PCI slots, 2 PCIe x1 slots, and 2 PCIe 2.0 slots, though 1 only runs at x4. And as far as I know it only needs a simple ALC 888 audio patch.
For a better board, the P55A-UD4 has 2 PCI slots, 3 PCIe x1 slots, and 2 PCIe 2.0 slots, which (when used with dual graphics) run at x8 each. It only needs an ALC 889 patch.
Both suggested motherboards support lots of RAID configurations.

Now you've got me thinking of the X58 configuration however and we'll need to get some input from people who've built that system before deciding.

rabbit74 is a user on the forums who has a couple of X58 configurations, and you can probably PM him a question (he's on a lot, but he lives on the other side of the world, so it might take a little time for him to answer). But the X58 configuration - got this for Macman - is used in the Mac Pro, so you should be fine if compatibility is your worry.

Tony speaks very highly of the work you've done on the forum so I'm listening to you and anyone else that wants to contribute to this decision.

Wow I'm honored that the admin of this forum speaks highly of me :D
And I'd be glad to help you out with anything else, just post or PM me!

In you low end build you list a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, is there any reason why a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H wouldn't work? For me it would be nice because it has HMDI and DVI.

Thanks

tanda4 said:
In you low end build you list a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, is there any reason why a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H wouldn't work? For me it would be nice because it has HMDI and DVI.

Thanks

Nope, OS X should work. The audio can be fixed with MultiBeast's ALC888b patch, but I'm not sure about the LAN. The reason I chose the G31 was because it was cheaper - hence the choice for the low end build. I also didn't want to give people too many options on motherboards because then there could be compatibility issues with some of the other parts. You'll have to look around for the Realtek 8110SC kext before actually purchasing the board. By the way, sorry if this reply is a little late, I've been off testing my own rig the past few days. :D

Thanks so much.

Hello my first time being useful to the group!

My boss saw me looking over the forum and asked me if I could build him a new PC, he wants to run windows but I figured why not go with this material since it will throuw a few affiliate bucks tony mac's way. My boss is cheap cheap cheap, so this problem was caused by that :lol:

The low-end hack mini he went with the linkworld silver case, and being cheap cheap cheap he elected to go with the PSU in the case against my pleads to buy a different one. Its listed as an option but not recommended, well its not an option. It uses a 20pin power connector but the motherboard needs a 24 pin power connector. Also, its the absolute worst case I have ever seen.

I'd recommend removing the whole thing as an option, but the very least it needs to be noted that the included power supply will not work with the motherboard. I know you are not editing it anymore but this change is necessary to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back