Contribute
Register

Java Update OS X 2013-002 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also use disk utility and make a dmg of your whole partition and store it on an external drive, which you can restore back onto your drive using an SL disk or Lion/Mountain Lion USB, but you will have to install iboot again.

You can also use disk utility and make a dmg of your whole partition and store it on an external drive, which you can restore back onto your drive using an SL disk or Lion/Mountain Lion USB, but you will have to install iboot again.

I also prefer to use Apple's Disk Utility prior to installing any risky updates, but I choose to:

1) make an actual clone ("Restore") to an extra drive (not just a dmg***); depending on the size of your OS-apps-data this usually takes hours or even overnight, but worth it as a precautionary step.
2) I start up using a Unibeast USB thumb drive, press F12 after power-on on my Gigabyte mobo, enter the drive-select menu, then I boot from the freshly cloned drive (usually works without iBoot re-install)
3) Now that I am booted from the clone, I view this as a safe haven to run updates and fixes.
4) If I'm successful, I then boot from my main drive and run the same updates there. // Done. //
5) If things get screwed up, the clone I booted from is dispensable. I can reformat it and re-clone, then leverage try again using what I learned from my mistakes.

btw, despite the outline above of what I do when risking and testing new patches, I am surprised that a Java update could cause as much havoc as some are discovering. I normally do not have concerns about a simple Java update fouling up the OS. New Java might be incompatible with some types of applications (Oracle e.g.), but it should not brick a Mac or CustoMac.
To those who suffered post-Java problems: are you sure that *only* the Java update ran? Or did the App Store - Sofware Update deploy any other seemingly innocuous changes?
~~~
***Note: since dmg's and Time Machine backups are not of themselves bootable, I use them to a lesser degree

Did the update on my Z77 Mainboard and all is well.

Me too, GA-Z77-WIFI boots fine :p

booted fine GA-Z77N WIFI :headbang:

No problems on ASRock H77M-itx

Not working for me on my z77-ds3h. Luckily I had made a SuperDuper! copy before the upgrade and was easily able to restore my boot disk.

Any ideas why it isn't working for me? After the update I get the spinning circle at the apple screen. I let it sit for 5 minutes before rebooting and restoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back