Contribute
Register

January 2023 Mac Announcement: M2 MacBook Pros & Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple never sends pre-release products to any Youtubers that might make them look less than favorable. That's why iJustine always gets them and Max and Vadim never do.
95% of YouTube videos regurgitate what we already know. It’s fun to watch some unboxing videos, but that grows tiresome very quickly.

Max and Vadim focus on substance. They’re doing us all a great service.

Apple never sends pre-release products to any Youtubers that might make them look less than favorable.
Which is a little strange considering that seemed to be the audience that they’re aiming the mini at, the creators!.

Which is a little strange considering that seemed to be the audience that they’re aiming the mini at, the creators!
It's free advertising for Apple. They pick out primarily large 5 million + subs YT channels (that have signed the Apple NDA) that only say things they want people to hear about their products. They send them samples that they have to return after the review. The Youtuber gets exclusive early content and makes money from this too, from all the extra views and resulting ad revenue. They should really be sending them to the smaller YT channels like yours, imho.

Last edited:
M2 pro mini:
max 24G RAM
max 2T PCI4 NVMe
4 TBolt (that's 4 x4 PCI3 slots)
10G enet

$1900 US

Compared to 2021 i9 at max overclock...

M2 Benchmarks at:
+5 % singlec
+25 % multic
GPU equal to RX6600XT
plus AppleSi codecs and neural juju

Small, cool and quiet

It looks like a perfect advance of industry trends at a very good price.

Add $250 for a Caldigit TB4 breakout box if you need more rear panel ports.

I can see why the Mac Pro has been relegated to a niche.

Apple never sends pre-release products to any Youtubers that might make them look less than favorable.

I don't think any company sends their stuff to reviewers that they know will be reviewed poorly. I know I wouldn't.

I don't think any company sends their stuff to reviewers that they know will be reviewed poorly. I know I wouldn't.
It would make little sense to do so. Imagine Apple asking some Dell reviewers to give an opinion on it.

MacWorld seems underwehlmed by M2 despite the better performance it seems in favor of wanting a massive jump like M1 from Intel was. I'd think that would be unsustainable. Also likely not a good practice to establish for Apple if they did that.

I would like to see the contract the Youtubers sign and what the specific details stipulate. What it allows them to cover in the review. As CaseySJ said, 95% of the reviewers tell us things we already know, making it just an infomercial.
95% of YouTube videos regurgitate what we already know.
They're not completely objective reviews and tilted towards making the viewer want to buy the product. There's nothing wrong with that, that's how marketing works, it's just not what I'm interested in watching.

Dave2D’s very brief look (I wouldn’t call it a review by any stretch) concludes by telling current M1 owners to skip the M2. This is what they planned to do anyway if they’re not suffering from upgradeitis, which is a very dangerous disease.

As for me, my 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro is gonna stick around for a good while. Historically I’ve upgraded real Macs every 6-7 years, but if Apple continues their pace, I may be very tempted to upgrade a little earlier than that. A little.

On the Hackintosh front I’ve suffered from total lack of self-control. How many of those things do I have now (since Nov 2018)? Hmm, let’s just shove that under the rug. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back