Contribute
Register

January 2023 Mac Announcement: M2 MacBook Pros & Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 3.jpg

Which would your rather pay for in a new Mac mini ? $1200 for Apple's NVMe or WD's Black SN850X for
the $450 Amazon Price ?
Screen Shot 5.jpg

How about (2x4TB) 8TB for $900 or 8TB for $2400 ?
Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 562114
Which would your rather pay for in a new Mac mini ? $1200 for Apple's NVMe or WD's Black SN850X for
the $450 Amazon Price ?
View attachment 562118

View attachment 562117
That’s tough, if I was an expert solder ironer, I would go for the WD. If I remember in my 2014 mini, you had to use a special SSD from Samsung for the Fusion Drive to work. Are they still using a special NVMe for the hard drive?

View attachment 562114
the $450 Amazon Price ?
View attachment 562118

View attachment 562117
Mac mini is a desktop machine, which means it can be connected more or less permanently to external Thunderbolt NVMe SSDs. We won’t come anywhere near 7000MB/s over Thunderbolt because it operates at PCIe 3 speed (PCIe 3.0 x4). I vaguely recall top speeds around 3000MB/s plus or minus X%.

Only those who really need super high speed R/W will need to consider paying the high prices from Apple.

I am even content to use USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 enclosures for 20Gbps. These enclosures are between half and 2/3rds the price of Thunderbolt enclosures.

P.S. I’d like to see more advanced versions of docks such as this:

Are they still using a special NVMe for the hard drive?
Yes, the controller is not on the SSD PCB itself. So you can't even really swap Apple SSDs between two different Macs these days. People discovered that back when Mac Studio got released.

Mac mini is a desktop machine, which means it can be connected more or less permanently to external Thunderbolt NVMe SSDs. We won’t come anywhere near 7000MB/s over Thunderbolt because it operates at PCIe 3 speed (PCIe 3.0 x4). I vaguely recall top speeds around 3000MB/s plus or minus X%.

Only those who really need super high speed R/W will need to consider paying the high prices from Apple.

I am even content to use USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 enclosures for 20Gbps. These enclosures are between half and 2/3rds the price of Thunderbolt enclosures.
That's what I would opt for too.

I was simply trying to show that the very best Hackintosh SSD is much less expensive (nearly 2/3 less) than what Apple is offering. Apple could at least find some middle ground on the prices they ask for upgrades or let the end user perform a simple drive swap for one they purchase.

That's what I would opt for too.

I was simply trying to show that the very best Hackintosh SSD is much less expensive (nearly 2/3 less) than what Apple is offering. Apple could at least find some middle ground on the prices they ask for upgrades or let the end user perform a simple drive swap for one they purchase.

Apple is more likely to solder your wallet to their system instead of allowing you to change anything... :) I believe hackintoshing is way more reasonable still, at least for the next 3-4 years.

See that bright sunny backdrop in Apple Park? We haven’t had a day like that in nearly 2 months. Well maybe the sun snuck in once or twice, which would mean camera crew would have to rush and get it done.

So was the video post processed with some movie magic, or was it shot many weeks ago?

Most likely this. They put her in front of a "green screen" and put whatever they want in the background. This is why you never see any presenter wearing green clothing, it would make them invisible.

View attachment 562083
It seems the video may have been shot in October or November last year and pulled from a longer keynote:
From the article:

“Some have speculated the 18-minute video was a segment cut out from a larger event the company was planning to hold in October or November 2022 that included more than the announcements of new M2 Pro and M2 Max Macs. Also spotted on Twitter, the AR files for the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models were compiled in October 2022, three months before the new Macs were announced.”

not sure it’s Mondrian inspired though as some have suggested!.
I'm not an art critic but as a regular visitor to The Hague Kunstmuseum, home to the world's largest collection of works by Piet Mondriaan, I'm confident that there's absolutely no aesthetic connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back