Contribute
Register

January 2023 Mac Announcement: M2 MacBook Pros & Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the Apple hype video to get you excited enough to break out the credit card.

Here's the new specs for the M2 mini.

View attachment 562079
That brag sheet shows us Apple has no idea whatever how to market the advances of AppleSi...

//Many numbers went up by many other numbers of percent...//

"1 went to 2, a billion here, a trillion there... 5... We've got industry leading Gs, 8/10 cores, 50% of 100"

Its a little grab bag of stats which will be utterly meaningless to 99% of customers and of debatable measure to the 1% who have a dim idea of their meaning.

Srsly it's so bad they just name-drop "pro res" as signal to an entire market segment that they haven't been forgotten. The Mini not only codes, it "encodes and decodes!"

But so does an iPhone.

Good news is a 2023 mini is 4x a 2012 Mac Pro, and gives a latest gen Mac Pro a strong run for its money. Not that Apple would ever say that.

The tech is amazing, yet they have no idea how to explain its value.

Your robot overlords have landed! You and your entire way of life will be eaten by us and our AIs. Please send money and enjoy!

The M2 mini still only gets two TH4 ports on back. Disappointing. :(

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Looks like the M2 base model is just for those wanting to surf the net, do social media etc. The $599 price is ok but you could do all the same things on an Android smartphone or tablet that costs a lot less.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the M2 mini still only gets two TH4 ports on back. Disappointing. :(

View attachment 562088

View attachment 562089
The M2 Pro version gets 4.

Once you take M2 version up to 1TB, 16GB and 10GbE the price equals starting price of M2 Pro version ($1299).

If you configure 1TB and 10GbE on M2 Pro, the price is $1599. This is the configuration I was looking at (doesn’t mean I’m buying one). $300 more for the Pro chip.

Last edited:
Apple has no idea whatever how to market the advances of AppleSi...
They seem to recycle the same worn out spiel year after year. xx% better than the last Apple product we sold you.

My question is: If that last gen product I bought from you is now so slow and outdated, so soon, why buy this new one ? It will suffer the same fate in a year or two.

since apple still don't have timeline for apple silicon mac pro, is there a chance apple add support for amd new cards?

The RAM situation is annoying. I'm reminded of the days when the 27-inch iMac was less expensive than the 24 because you could upgrade the 27-inch RAM by yourself. I'm wondering if Apple is shooting itself in the foot because they'll probably sell a lot of machines with insufficient RAM, which will result in a bad user experience for some.

The new
That brag sheet shows us Apple has no idea whatever how to market the advances of AppleSi...

//Many numbers went up by many other numbers of percent...//

"1 went to 2, a billion here, a trillion there... 5... We've got industry leading Gs, 8/10 cores, 50% of 100"

Its a little grab bag of stats which will be utterly meaningless to 99% of customers and of debatable measure to the 1% who have a dim idea of their meaning.

Srsly it's so bad they just name-drop "pro res" as signal to an entire market segment that they haven't been forgotten. The Mini not only codes, it "encodes and decodes!"

But so does an iPhone.

Good news is a 2023 mini is 4x a 2012 Mac Pro, and gives a latest gen Mac Pro a strong run for its money. Not that Apple would ever say that.

The tech is amazing, yet they have no idea how to explain its value.

Your robot overlords have landed! You and your entire way of life will be eaten by us and our AIs. Please send money and enjoy!
its because they’re not car enthusiasts, or don’t understand the common shared love of higher numbers for their respective brag rights. Cars; 0-60… , horses and braking distances or something. Apple doesn’t mention GHz anymore even though it’s the best brag point scoring statement. IMO…

since apple still don't have timeline for apple silicon mac pro, is there a chance apple add support for amd new cards?
Apple could offer a Navi 3 MPX module as an upgrade even to a discontinued Mac Pro.
But will it?
Although the Mac Pro is a "halo" product (polite way to say "niche"), and it customers are professionals which should be valued by Apple, history has shown that Apple can badly neglect them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back