Contribute
Register

Jaap's G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell us a bit more about it? I am working in may G5 build and i want to try it....

Take a look around this forum. I read a lot of threads here before i started. The best are these, these and these.

Good luck with your mod!

Thank you very much!!

OMG, been there done that drilling holes into a G5... but 2000!!! That must've taken hours and hours.

I still remember the pain in my shoulders after a while. Respect and keep up the good work.
I wonder how the temps / noise will be with a rad below the holes. I think it will be better with a bit of clearance between the rad and the top of the case.

OMG, been there done that drilling holes into a G5... but 2000!!! That must've taken hours and hours.

I still remember the pain in my shoulders after a while. Respect and keep up the good work.
I wonder how the temps / noise will be with a rad below the holes. I think it will be better with a bit of clearance between the rad and the top of the case.

Thanks for your reaction. Your mod looks great, especially the way you fixed the back panel.Don't you think there will be warm air staying in the case?

Modding is a little slow at the moment. The big jobs have been done, so i'm slowly reassembling.
I've installed a few blue led-strips. Just some cheap Chinese strips with a simple molex-connector. I've connected 'em together to a switch, because i don't want the leds on all the time. When the case is properly grounded the switch lights on.

[video=youtube;cXbQ34si40M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXbQ34si40M[/video]

I already re-installed the front-panel-pcb with the new cable, an internal usb-hub for bluetooth, the rear-fan-assembly with two 92mm Noctua's, a custom bracket for the hdd-led and the Kraken X61 rad, with the stock coolers. I'm wondering if i should switch them for Noctuas, it will look better. On the other hand, if you're just looking at the case only the black sides are visible.

I've removed the pre-applied thermal compound of the waterpump with Arcticlean. I'll use Arctic Silver 5.

R-Foto 13-11-15 19 30 46-M.jpg R-Foto 13-11-15 19 38 27-M.jpg R-Foto 20-11-15 21 19 05-M.jpg R-Foto 20-11-15 21 17 52-M.jpg R-Foto 20-11-15 21 19 23-M.jpg

Next up is choosing and mounting a motherboard. I'm also looking a the endless options for Ram. I can't decide whether to take 4x8 Gb's or an more expensive but easy upgradable 2x16 Gb's.

I've choosen the CPU already, it's going to be the i7 6700K. It's just not widely available here in Holland/Europe. Prices are rising because of shortage, from €389 to €470 to €500, which is way too much. I'm gonna wait till Intel ramps up production and prices will drop a bit.

Thanks for your reaction. Your mod looks great, especially the way you fixed the back panel.Don't you think there will be warm air staying in the case?

No, lots and lots of ventilation. Keep a positive airflow in the case (more inflow than outflow). I was only wondering if the resistance of the top of the case isn't too much for your radiator and temps.

As for your CPU decision, are you sure you need an i7? This is a heavy duty CPU with hyperthreading and should be used for video editing, rendering etc. For normal usage + gaming the i5-6600 is plenty and will give the same results!

When it comes to RAM, you probably go for the new DDR4 RAM which (at this time) is still expensive. There is no need for more than 16GB of RAM in the next couple of years, unless (again, like the CPU) you use heavy programs which need lots and lots of RAM. I suggest for normal usage + gaming you stick with the 2x8GB modules and upgrade (a lot later, like 2+ years) to another 2x8GB to make 4x8GB = 32GB of RAM. There is no way you need 64GB of RAM in the next few years! At that time your system is up for an upgrade anyway ;) Keep your hard earned money in your pocket or take your girl out instead.

No, lots and lots of ventilation. Keep a positive airflow in the case (more inflow than outflow). I was only wondering if the resistance of the top of the case isn't too much for your radiator and temps.

I think it will be fine, but i'll see. If the temps are not what they should be, ill check wat happens if i drop the rad a cm.

As for your CPU decision, are you sure you need an i7? This is a heavy duty CPU with hyperthreading and should be used for video editing, rendering etc. For normal usage + gaming the i5-6600 is plenty and will give the same results!

I'm sure i need an i7. I'm not building a machine for normal use or gaming, but for photo- and video-editing.

When it comes to RAM, you probably go for the new DDR4 RAM which (at this time) is still expensive. There is no need for more than 16GB of RAM in the next couple of years, unless (again, like the CPU) you use heavy programs which need lots and lots of RAM. I suggest for normal usage + gaming you stick with the 2x8GB modules and upgrade (a lot later, like 2+ years) to another 2x8GB to make 4x8GB = 32GB of RAM. There is no way you need 64GB of RAM in the next few years! At that time your system is up for an upgrade anyway ;) Keep your hard earned money in your pocket or take your girl out instead.

I'll be using this system with Photoshop, which likes a lot of RAM. With 32Gigs i'm also ready for what it might need in a couple of years.

A small update. I've started reassembling the G5. I have closed the PSU and mounted it to the bottom. Now it's waiting for the mobo, ram and processor.

Foto 25-11-15 21 56 54 (1).jpg

Done!

Finally, the mod is done. It started in september and now i'm typing this post with my brand new pc. Sadly, it's from Win10, still waiting for Skylake to be supported without problems in OSX.

I'm happy with the results. Particularly with the new top with vent for my watercooling. The short spec list:
  • Skylake 6700K CPU
  • NZXT Kraken X61 aio cpu-watercooling
  • Asus Maximus Gene VIII mATX motherboard
  • 32 gigs of HyperX Fury DDR4
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD (Samsung Pro 950)
  • MSI Geforce GTX 960 4G graphics card
  • Drives for documents, photos etc.: WD Green 4TB, 1,5TB and 1TB
  • 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD (not connected, this is intended for OSX)
  • TP LINK Archer T8E wifi-card
  • modded Corsair CX600M semi-modulair PSU

See here the full list of parts.

As i explained in a different post, the front panel switch wasn't working for me in the case. So i ordered the LaserHive kit. I wasn't to happy, because it is nog factory-looking, but is has a really nice quality. It isn't looking too bad after all.

I chose not to cut up the front or top for a card readers. So i bought a USB 3.0 cardreader. It's taped to the top of the case with double-sided tape.

Cable management was quite a hassle, i couldn't do it right without the drive-cage in it, but i could not reach behind it when it was in. So i hid some of the cables, it's looking oke now.

Last thing i need to do (hardware) is look at the fans. Some of them are quite loud. I have a lot of low-noise-adapters from Noctua to tackle that problem.

Pics:
R-Foto 11-12-15 21 37 37-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 26-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 35-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 40-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 53-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 22 51 28-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 10-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 38 19-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 40 08-M.jpg R-Foto 11-12-15 21 40 14-M.jpg

I made a time-lapse of me de-assembling the G5 from test-build to final assembly.

[video]https://youtu.be/ihGUVx9EMRM[/video]

Hi again bro! I checked again your build log and I really like what you did and the effort you spent on the top perforated mounting area for your radiator.

And I must say that you've done a great job on your Mod. Now I am more eager to finish my mod as soon as possible. I am 60% done. but not yet close to what I really wanted. :D

Congrats to your G5 Mod. Great work! especially on the top of the case which I am pretty sure consumed lots of your time.

I even watched your time lapse. and thought that you're lucky to have a nice space to do that. Even if I want to time lapse my build, i can't coz i don't have enough space at home.

Cheers to your build again!!! It was nice to see it finally up and running.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back