Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 560ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am planning on buying a new motherboard and CPU on Friday for my hackintosh. I have decided on the i7 3770k but I would like suggestions for the motherboard.

I plan on overclocking so it will need to be z77 and I'd like it to be full size ATX.

I would like the motherboard to work with the minimum of modifications needed.

I'll be using my ASUS 560ti DirectCUII if that is important.

I would also want to purchase it from ebuyer.com, Z77 motherboard page here: Motherboards Socket LGA 1155 Sandybridge for Intel.. | Ebuyer.com

I'm thinking about the two boards below, does anyone know if they would work and have any installation guide for them. If not can you please suggest other suitable boards, my budget is £135 but I could stretch to £150 for something exceptional, I'd like a relatively decent board so nothing super cheap!

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com

ASUS P8Z77-V: Asus P8Z77-V Socket 1155 VGA DVI DisplayPort HDMI 8.. | Ebuyer.com

Your help is greatly appreciated, sorry if this is a bit disjointed, It's late!

Just get the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H.

Just get the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H.

That's good, I preferred that one. Have people used ML on this or even have experience with lion on it? I'd hate to spend all that money for it not to work.

beware of onboard NIC - not fully functional

Bonjour still doesn't work for several people on the Z77-DS3H (Snow Lion 10.7.2, 10.7.3, and 10.7.4)

The network kext for the onboard NIC doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. If you need bonjour services for what you want to do, don't get the DS3H. I have two of them and I really need bonjour to work for my network. You can connect to afp shares manually by entering the server name, but it's still a bummer that it doesn't work.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/53136-atheros-problems-bonjour.html

Bonjour still doesn't work for several people on the Z77-DS3H (Snow Lion 10.7.2, 10.7.3, and 10.7.4)

The network kext for the onboard NIC doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. If you need bonjour services for what you want to do, don't get the DS3H. I have two of them and I really need bonjour to work for my network. You can connect to afp shares manually by entering the server name, but it's still a bummer that it doesn't work.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/53136-atheros-problems-bonjour.html

Bonjour isn't that big a deal, as long as I can still connect to shares via IP address I should be fine, worst case I take it that I could install a PCI NIC and use that?

Would you be able to comment on any other experiences you have had with the gigabyte board and how the setup procedure was. If you followed any tutorials could you please let me know which ones are successful.

Or would I be better off getting a Z68 board?

You are better off then with a Z68 board with Realtek LAN.

Ended up buying a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and i7 3770k, I bought it before I saw jester969's latest post so I didn't ignore you! :p

From looking around it seems as though it should work fine and uses different sound from the UD3H. I also got a bit "Add to Basket"-happy and ended up buying a new case (Corsair 650D), SSD (Agility III 120gb, was on a good offer) as well as some thermal compound for my existing H60 and some compressed air for cleaning off the existing parts before they go in the new case.

Full list of parts I just ordered here: Lists | Ebuyer.com

All of these parts will arrive tomorrow so I will start building when I get in from work and will hopefully get it all running over the weekend, I will be sure to make a post about it when it's done (well, that or a multitude of threads trying to get it working!)

Once it's all done my Hackintosh will have the following specs:

Intel Core i7 3770k (Overclocked to some sensible level)
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
8gb 1600MHz DDR3 (G-Skill RipjawsX (2x4gb))
120gb Agility III SSD (OSX)
1tb Seagate 7200rpm (OSX Storage)
1tb Seagate 7200rpm (Time Machine)
60gb Vertex Plus SSD (Not sure, might stick Windows back on just in case I need it or use it to store videos while editing)
1tb WD Green (Also not sure, If I put Windows on the Vertex Plus then this will become Windows storage, if not I'll find some use for it, possibly shared with network or to store rendered video)
NVIDIA GeForce 560ti (ASUS DirectCUII)
Corsair HX650w PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Corsair H60 Cooler
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW

Looks slick man, you'll have to post up some pix when you get'er all put together.

glhf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back