Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, long time no see. I looked but didn't find a thread about ivy bridge processors. I know they're the same slot as our CPUs so I'm wondering is it possible to upgrade?

is Ivy Bridge support in F.23 bios. may need one. safe bet-get probook 4540S

It seems very unlikely. Upgrading CPUs in laptops is not common. I don't see HP putting out the effort to update the BIOS to support Ivy when they can sell you a new laptop instead.

RehabMan said:
It seems very unlikely. Upgrading CPUs in laptops is not common. I don't see HP putting out the effort to update the BIOS to support Ivy when they can sell you a new laptop instead.
yes, why kill sales of Ivy laptops. wait one year for new BIOS with Ivy support.

Getting a new model number also helps recognise which one is Ivy and which one is Sandy bridge.

That said: when I read through the specs of the series 7 chipset on the Intel website and compare it to the series 6 (Sandy) there is really not much difference. The biggest difference would be the 3rd display pipe support on series 7 chips. It has to do with the HD4000 obviously. There are even some thoughts that Ivy Bridge CPUs should work on the SandyBridge systems. Obviously you MAY need a update of your BIOS. But the difference in chipsets is more on paper than anything else. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back