Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hey guys, long time no see. I looked but didn't find a thread about ivy bridge processors. I know they're the same slot as our CPUs so I'm wondering is it possible to upgrade?

Motherboard
MSI Wind U123
CPU
Intel Atom
Graphics
Onboard
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
is Ivy Bridge support in F.23 bios. may need one. safe bet-get probook 4540S

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It seems very unlikely. Upgrading CPUs in laptops is not common. I don't see HP putting out the effort to update the BIOS to support Ivy when they can sell you a new laptop instead.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
RehabMan said:
It seems very unlikely. Upgrading CPUs in laptops is not common. I don't see HP putting out the effort to update the BIOS to support Ivy when they can sell you a new laptop instead.
yes, why kill sales of Ivy laptops. wait one year for new BIOS with Ivy support.

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G45
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Getting a new model number also helps recognise which one is Ivy and which one is Sandy bridge.

That said: when I read through the specs of the series 7 chipset on the Intel website and compare it to the series 6 (Sandy) there is really not much difference. The biggest difference would be the 3rd display pipe support on series 7 chips. It has to do with the HD4000 obviously. There are even some thoughts that Ivy Bridge CPUs should work on the SandyBridge systems. Obviously you MAY need a update of your BIOS. But the difference in chipsets is more on paper than anything else. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.