Contribute
Register

Ivy Bridge - P-States working but.. not as they should!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear all,
I have installed Mavericks on my laptop (Lenovo t431s) that uses an Intel i5-3437u (ivy bridge).
After a lot of adjustments I got basically everything to work: hd4000, ps2 trackpad and keyboard, screen brightness control, audio, Bluetooth, battery monitor and finally power management using a patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement and an SSDT file generated using ssdtPRGen.sh.
Now the question is: how can I control how osx uses the lower power states of my CPU?
This processor runs on a 100Mhz bus with multiplier from 8 to 29, with a standard (non turbo) of x19.
When on battery if I look at the current frequency using hwmonitor it stays almost always on the top of the range (normally at x27) and only very rarely (and quite randomly) it goes down to x8 (800 MHz) and this seems to waste quite a bit of energy.
When using Windows (8.1) I get a similar behavior when selecting the "high performance" power plan, while if I chose balanced I immediately see the CPU spending most its time at x8 and going back up when there's something to process.
The obvious thing to do was obviously to check under OSX whether there was any process very active for no reason but that doesn't seem to be the case: I'm on battery, the CPU is idle and I have no applications running in foreground or background.. but the lower p-states are not allowed to kick-in at my i5 spends most of its time at x27. Yet.. they are available really because even if infrequently... I do see the CPU getting down to x8 from time to time: it's almost like the OS failed to correctly interpret the fact that the machine is on battery and didn't bother about using lower states even if it technically could.
I'm a bit new to OSX so I don't know exactly what to look at... let me know if you have any idea on how to fix this!
Thanks,
Sergio

ps: smbios.plist is configured for MacBookPro8,1 (MacMini6 is ivy bridge but would cause a KP on my system like other Ivy B definitions). Also.. I'm getting these two errors in dmesg..

11/8/13 9:21:26.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendStepper - Stepper dictionary from plist is NULL!
11/8/13 9:21:26.000 PM kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

Hi Carucio,

I also have a laptop with i5-3437u (Ivy). I don't even know how to get my system properly "sleep". Would you please share:

1. Which guide / tools did you use to tune the Power Management related stuffs?
2. What tool did you use to observe multiplier in Windows 8.1?

Many thanks!

I would use MacBookAir 5,2 smbios and rebuild your SSDT with Pike's.

I would use MacBookAir 5,2 smbios and rebuild your SSDT with Pike's.

Are you referring to this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...-generation-script-ivybridge-pm-ssdtprgen.zip

I created a SMBios.plist based on MacBookAir 5,2 and use the above script to generate an SSDT.aml. It seems the script detected my CPU (i5-3437u) correctly, but after reboot I get kernel panic. I have to remove this new SSDT.aml to get my system up and running again.

Any further suggestion?

Are you referring to this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...-generation-script-ivybridge-pm-ssdtprgen.zip

I created a SMBios.plist based on MacBookAir 5,2 and use the above script to generate an SSDT.aml. It seems the script detected my CPU (i5-3437u) correctly, but after reboot I get kernel panic. I have to remove this new SSDT.aml to get my system up and running again.

Any further suggestion?

Check all items on this checklist... http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back