Graphics
Intel HD 3000 / AMD HD 6490M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Would it be possible to run an Ivy Bridge Cpu in our 4530s ? I have read here on Tonymacx86.com that it is possible to run mismatched Sandy/Ivy desktop rigs now. And yes I know, the graphics support issue even if it where to run, but that's the whole idea. If it can't load the built-in/on-die Hd 4000, it will hopefully use the AMD Radeon HD 6490M.

Would it be possible to run an Ivy Bridge Cpu in our 4530s ? I have read here on Tonymacx86.com that it is possible to run mismatched Sandy/Ivy desktop rigs now. And yes I know, the graphics support issue even if it where to run, but that's the whole idea. If it can't load the built-in/on-die Hd 4000, it will hopefully use the AMD Radeon HD 6490M.

I seriously doubt it. This is what they are doing with 4540s and they use different BIOS. Generally 6-series boards require a BIOS update for Ivy.

I realize this thread is rather old, but I'm hoping there has been progress in that time. I've been looking all over the interwebs but can't find anybody who has run an Ivy Bridge chip on the 4530s. From what I understand the 4540 is fairly similar, but its bios supports Ivy. If the F.41 bios for the 4530s doesn't support Ivy, would it be possible to steal parts of the 4540 bios?

Here's where I stand: My laptop is getting a little slow for my needs. I realize I can upgrade to a 2720 or something of the sort but I really don't want to upgrade to a nearly obsolete processor. On the other hand, if I got a new laptop (which I'm strongly considering) I don't know whether to get an Ivy Bridge (which will be obsolete relatively soon in people years) or a Haswell, which doesn't seem too much of an upgrade from Ivy.

But if I can somehow get an Ivy processor into this laptop, it would be the perfect solution! I'd be willing to do a little experimenting with my laptop as long as it's educated experimenting. If my laptop catches fire, well, I'll just get a new one.

I realize this thread is rather old, but I'm hoping there has been progress in that time. I've been looking all over the interwebs but can't find anybody who has run an Ivy Bridge chip on the 4530s. From what I understand the 4540 is fairly similar, but its bios supports Ivy. If the F.41 bios for the 4530s doesn't support Ivy, would it be possible to steal parts of the 4540 bios?

Here's where I stand: My laptop is getting a little slow for my needs. I realize I can upgrade to a 2720 or something of the sort but I really don't want to upgrade to a nearly obsolete processor. On the other hand, if I got a new laptop (which I'm strongly considering) I don't know whether to get an Ivy Bridge (which will be obsolete relatively soon in people years) or a Haswell, which doesn't seem too much of an upgrade from Ivy.

But if I can somehow get an Ivy processor into this laptop, it would be the perfect solution! I'd be willing to do a little experimenting with my laptop as long as it's educated experimenting. If my laptop catches fire, well, I'll just get a new one.

Not sure what you mean by "steal parts of the 4540 BIOS"... The BIOS is RSA encrypted and cannot be tampered with.

There is little advantage to Ivy over Sandy (15-20%? if that...). You're better off upgrading the CPU to an i7 Sandy, or getting a 4540s with Ivy if that is what you want (sell the 4530s).

But it would be an interesting experiment... I have a feeling it won't work and probably the BIOS will refuse to boot with the unrecognized CPU.

Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll just upgrade the processor since the 2670s are hanging around $130. With an SSD it should feel like a brand spankin' new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back