Contribute
Register

iTunes Protected Video Black Screen Solution (HDCP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170M-D3H
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
To solve the iTunes video "black screen error" (black video screen;time on 0 sec;no progress) for newer CPUs just install this kext.

1. Download and Install Shiki.kext to /Library/Extensions or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/...
https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/releases

2. Open Terminal. Set Hardware Video Decoder Preference
I had to set my hardware video decoder preference
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes
to force NVIDIA decoder

(for AMD/ATI decoder)
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes

(for Intel decoder)
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes

3. Reset DRM configration
and reset my DRM configuration
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

All credits goes to vit9696

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki

Edit 1:
Version 1.5.0 supports Sierra 10.12 Beta (tested 16A238m)

Last edited by a moderator:
To solve the iTunes video "black screen error" (black video screen;time on 0 sec;no progress) for newer CPUs just install this kext.

I had to set my hardware video decoder preference
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes
to force NVIDIA decoder

and reset my DRM configuration
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

All credits goes to vit9696

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki

This is quite interesting. I may try this on my ivy hack as I get a black screen in iTunes. Thanks for the link bro :)

Thank you VERY much for sharing this. I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a long time. Just tried playing some DRM'd media from the iTunes Store and it works great.

I am glad that I could help you, even if it's not my work. ;)
If there were any difficulties , write it in here. I will complete the first post with all postet below.

Did you run the commands in terminal? Are you using Clover to inject the text? I've attempted the fix, but am apparently doing something wrong. Thanks for the help!

Did you run the commands in terminal? Are you using Clover to inject the text? I've attempted the fix, but am apparently doing something wrong. Thanks for the help!
Hi,
Yes I use Clover and the kexts are in my kexts to patch folders.
I ran the commands in terminal and that's it.
Maybe you can post your procedure and I try to help.
Please tell us some more about your build. This will help.

Hi,
Yes I use Clover and the kexts are in my kexts to patch folders.
I ran the commands in terminal and that's it.
Maybe you can post your procedure and I try to help.
Please tell us some more about your build. This will help.

I installed it to /Library/Extensions with KextBeast, it is working correctly after running the Terminal commands from Post #1.

Edit : /Library/Extensions may not be the best way to go - The FAQ says :

"You are supposed to load it early when your system boots. It is recommended to use bootloader kext injection.
kextload is known not to work and /S/L/E or /L/E might fail."

Last edited:
I put the kext in my 10.11 folder in clover / kexts. I ran the commands and the terminal tells me there is no coremedia file. My system is what is in my profile. Z87 board with i5-4690k.

Interesting side note, if I enable integrated graphics in bios and continue to use NVIDIA card, the trailers play, but my system locks up. If I go back in bios and turn off integrated graphics, then trailers do not play.

Not sure what the issue is ... any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

EDIT - iMac kext along with Shiki text in clover / kexts / 10.11 did the trick. After reboot, played HD content in SD. Once I ran terminal commands which reset DRM, iTunes played videos in HD. Have a GTX 960 so the additional iMac kext is what seemed to do the trick. I no longer need to use integrated graphic in addition to graphics card to get it to work (which would eventually cause my system to freeze). Thanks to all those that helped with the solution.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have my integrated activated (for AirPlay Mirroring). The first code to activate nvidia decoder has run without errors? Something in the FAQ maybe?

It works like a charm on my configuration. OS X 10.11.5, i7 4790, GTX 770 as main graphics display (without web drive). IGD disable. Thanks a lot, now my hack is complete !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back