Contribute
Register

iTunes Protected Video Black Screen Solution (HDCP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is something you can try if you haven't already, go to S/L/E and remove (Delete) this kext - AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver - double check its the correct one as there are two or three with similar names (keep it in the recycle bin just incase you need to put it back). After deletion, repair permissions and reboot machine and see if iTunes will play Trailers or Movies. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I can play movie trailers with no problems, but I haven't got the chance to test a real movie because I haven't bought anything on iTunes yet. The problem I am having is playing the music video from Apple Music. There is sound but the screen is just black. I tried your method too but I got no luck on the issue. Do you think Apple Music might be a different problem from HDCP?

Thank you for your reply. I can play movie trailers with no problems, but I haven't got the chance to test a real movie because I haven't bought anything on iTunes yet. The problem I am having is playing the music video from Apple Music. There is sound but the screen is just black. I tried your method too but I got no luck on the issue. Do you think Apple Music might be a different problem from HDCP?

If you can play trailers then you shouldn't have any problems playing any other content music or otherwise once you d/l and add to your library or for that matter, samples before you buy. One way to test is to rent a cheap video in iTunes, d/l and then initiate play back, you'll know for sure if you're able to play protected material.

I just tried music play back in iTunes and all is well, I can't see Apple having different protected methods for different media output, doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
If you can play trailers then you shouldn't have any problems playing any other content music or otherwise once you d/l and add to your library or for that matter, samples before you buy. One way to test is to rent a cheap video in iTunes, d/l and then initiate play back, you'll know for sure if you're able to play protected material.

I just tried music play back in iTunes and all is well, I can't see Apple having different protected methods for different media output, doesn't make sense.
Honestly, I have no idea why this is happening. I used the VDADecoderChecker, and it tells me the
Hardware acceleration is fully supported, and I can play trailers with no problem. It is just Apple Music.
I am going too try using just HD530, and see if the problem is with my RX480.
Also, I will try to get a movie and see if there is any problem with movies also.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Well, my ability to watch iTunes movies with Shiki installed no longer works after updating to 10.12.4. I reinstalled everything - including the latest versions of Shiki & Lilu.kexts (not sure what to do with the included .dsym files, though) along with running the terminal commands from the original post. I'm only able to play 5 seconds worth of any movie before it goes black with a couple more seconds of audio until it stops and throws up an HDCP error message.
Screenshot 2017-04-01 15.13.02.png

Well, my ability to watch iTunes movies with Shiki installed no longer works after updating to 10.12.4. I reinstalled everything - including the latest versions of Shiki & Lilu.kexts (not sure what to do with the included .dsym files, though) along with running the terminal commands from the original post. I'm only able to play 5 seconds worth of any movie before it goes black with a couple more seconds of audio until it stops and throws up an HDCP error message.
View attachment 246532

This is exactly what happens for me, good (but also not good) to hear I'm not the only one with this exact issue.

I noticed this too and was able to get things working again by going to these versions of Shiki and Lilu: Shiki (1.9.0) and Lilu(1.0.0)

Edit: Issue has been fixed in NVIDIA's Webdriver 378.05.05.05f02

I would like to report this issue too.

On a clean install, iTunes videos do not work at all. If I go through the steps previously, it just worked fine. Now after 10.12.4 it plays for a couple of seconds and the video turns black whilst the audio continues for a few more seconds. Then the box pops up saying the display isn't HDCP supported. It is clearly supported and I've tried different cables to check it isn't my end. (DVI, Mini Display and HDMI).

Here is a poor quality video of the problem taken on my phone as you cannot record itunes on mac. You can keep watching if you close and reopen all the time.

I noticed this too and was able to get things working again by going to these versions of Shiki and Lilu: Shiki (1.9.0) and Lilu(1.0.0)

I tried this and it has not worked.

Last edited:
This doesn't work for me, either.

When I was using HD530 from Skylake CPU, I could not play any protected video. I tried Shiki 1.8.0 to 1.8.2 but no luck.

Then several days ago, I finally got my Pascal 1070 worked, and I upgraded to Shiki 2.0.1 as well as Lilu 1.1.0.
Still I cannot play any protected video. It just show me a black player window and nothing else. No box popped, and no audio. I checked kext loading status and found that both Shiki and Lilu are loaded, yet they seems not working properly.

EDIT: well, it's working for only downloaded videos but not streaming.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, I've been able to make this work (mostly). I'm able to download movies in iTunes and watch them without problems. However, I can't stream them. It would be very nice if I could stream TV shows/etc.

My config (configured as iMac 17,1)
Skylake i7-6700K
GA-Z170m-d3h
NVIDIA 950
macOS 10.12.4/Shiki 2.0.1/Lilu 1.1.0 (Shiki is in EFI/Clover/kexts/other)
boot argument: -shikigva

Of note, when I enter this command in Terminal, I don't get a return:
ioreg | grep IMEI

Entering: ioreg -l | grep platform-id returns:
| | | | "AAPL,ig-platform-id" = <01000219>

kexstat reveals that Shiki and Lilu are both running.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Installed lilu and shiki latest builds and reset DRM on my X99 system on 10.12.4 and it works for downloaded videos but not for streaming. I believe devs said that shiki for streaming would not be possible for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back