Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
RX580
Running a RX580 and a Kabby Lake CPU. While running High Sierra, and after replacing my Nvidia with the RX580, I magically was able to play DRM protected itunes videos.

Upgraded to 10.14, checked itunes, still good.
Upgraded to 10.14.1, then noticed that galley view in the finder wasn't working. Tried installing NoVPAJpeg.kext, got galley view. *Then* I tried Itunes, and it was broken. When trying to play a DRM protected video in my library, just got a blank screen and it didn't play.

So... don't know if Itunes was already broken on 10.14.1 *before* I installed NoVPAJpeg.kext or *after*. I removed NoVPAJpeg.kext, rebuilt kernel caches, rebuilt nvram, and still couldn't get DRM videos to play in itunes.

Next went thru the process of enabling the iGPU, added Whatevergreen (didn't have it installed with just the RX580) and various boot/device parameters, no problem getting galley view working without NoVPAJpeg. But still no itunes drm play. Even reset the various DRM files.

Someone out there with a RX580 and Kabby Lake can verify that 10.14.1 works with both Itunes and Galley?

Thanks

Mark

Found a post on another site that seemed to point the finger at AppleGVA.framework breaking RX5x0 in 10.14.1. His solution was to revert to 10.14.0. Tried it, but didn't work for me....

I have the same problem. With 10.14.1 I realize, that iTunes Playback is broken with my RX580 card.
I have shkigva=1 in the clover-options and have newest Lilu and Whatevergreen installed.

My IGPU seems also to be loaded:
ioreg -p IOService -n IGPU | grep ig-platform-id

| | | | "AAPL,ig-platform-id" = <03001259>

Did you solve the problem?

Thanks
Florian

No, I haven't figured it out yet either. Put it on the backburner for a little. My output from the ioreg/grep command is exactly the same as yours.

Mark

No, I haven't figured it out yet either. Put it on the backburner for a little. My output from the ioreg/grep command is exactly the same as yours.

Mark

FWIW, same exact issue. I have the latest whatevergreen and Lilu installed and have been playing with the shiki boot flags......no luck.

Apparently Apple removed hardware encoding support for the 580x. That is the source of the problem. See this thread for details and some fixes:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-h264-does-not-support-hevc-hw.240353/page-50

I have tried several, but have not got it to work yet. However, some are reporting success. I am waiting on consensus on the best fix.

Struggled with this for several days and finally got it working. I took the AppleGVA.framework from 10.14.0 and put it into my 10.14.2 clean install. I now have all DRM functionality back for iTunes, Netflix, etc. But this seems to be a short term fix....when Apple updates to 10.14.3 I'm sure it will break again. Finally have a fully functional system back since upgrading to Mojave. Wonder if they permanently / intentionally removed support for the 580 or if this was just an oversight that will be fixed?

Struggled with this for several days and finally got it working. I took the AppleGVA.framework from 10.14.0 and put it into my 10.14.2 clean install. I now have all DRM functionality back for iTunes, Netflix, etc. But this seems to be a short term fix....when Apple updates to 10.14.3 I'm sure it will break again. Finally have a fully functional system back since upgrading to Mojave. Wonder if they permanently / intentionally removed support for the 580 or if this was just an oversight that will be fixed?

I tried what you said with replacing AppleGVA with the 10.14 version but still could not get it to work. Did you do anything else or have something in your BIOS I should try?

I tried what you said with replacing AppleGVA with the 10.14 version but still could not get it to work. Did you do anything else or have something in your BIOS I should try?

Happy to help if I can....

What is your ig-platform-id set to? Mine is 0x059120003
And what about the IntelGFX on the devices tab? Mine is set at 0x059128086

See if that makes any difference....

@ColoradoRef

You have your iGPU enabled in the BIOS? I tried just replacing the AppleGVA and it also didn't work for me. But I have disabled the iGPU....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back