CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone. I've been having my hack for QUITE some time now. I'm still on the quite old P55M-UD2 mobo. Let the flaming begin. Anyways, as you might of guessed, I have been away from ins and outs of the hacking community. Mostly because of wife, kids and job but also because I had no need to be here except for the occasional update that I may of needed some help on. I've read a good bit of information but there's so much now and days with the new mobos and processors that it's hard to keep up.

I'm looking to build a new hack. I wan't this one to be a hack mini. I've read tonymac's Custom Mac Mini 2011 build but that is out of date and the recommend boards either no longer exist or don't have good reviews. I want something low on power consumption but good on performance. I read a post that tonymac made recently about a Gigabyte board (Z77 chip I believe) that has power management without a dsdt. Is this any board with Z77 chipset? For example, this is the mobo I found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157312. I don't see anything in the dsdt database. Is that because it doesn't need one or because no one has created one?

Because it's not supported. Or not recommended.

You should wait tuntil August when Gigabyte release the mITX boards.

sumsaykra-z said:
Toleda and I both have one and we are trying to get everything working well.

I can tell you the mini-PCIe half height wifi-BT card will work as BT only. If you need/want wifi, toleda suggests replacement it with an atheros card:
AR9285 - Single band, 150 Mbs or AR9287 - Single band, 300 Mbs or AR9280 - Dual band, 300 Mbs

I just ordered the dual band one. I will use a Targus USB BT dongle for bluetooth kb/mouse.

Also, due to MSR lock down in ASUS BIOS, no native power management and NullCPUPM kext is required, so no sleep, speedstep.

Otherwise, I am still working with it.

You might look at the Zotac board viewtopic.php?f=54&t=63054&hilit=zotac+mini+itx if you want mini-ITX

AsRock Z77E board has incompatible Broadcom NIC, so onboard ethernet support is out.
Also needs NullCPUPM, speed stepper patch or patched BIOS to get native power management.

Neither Gigabyte nor MSI so far has presented a Mini-ITX, although Gigabyte supposedly has some coming out in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back