Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all. I had a KP that caused a major system crash yesterday and I'm still trying to get back to 100%. The only thing left is that I cannot seem to get CPU temps out of iStat Menu 3.18. They were there yesterday before the KP.

What's changed is that before I was on Multibeast 3.4 (I think) and since I had to do a fresh install, I'm now on 3.7.3. I upgraded to iStat Menu 3.18 a few days ago, but to the best of my recollection, I had CPU temps up until the crash.

I've cloned over a backup now and restored a few missing files from a Time Machine backup, including my boot.plist file. System Profiler recognizes my CPU as a Core i7 running at 3.8, which is correct. Also, I'm running 64-bit and graphics enabler = No and my smbios.plist shows Mac Pro 5,1, which is what I used before the crash. Oh, and Temperature Monitor (little downloaded app) seems to show the CPU temps fine, so this appears to be something that's screwy with iStat.

Any advice on what has happened and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Garth

Did you re-install FakeSMC plugins? I think that they are needed for iStat to have access to the temperatures.

That worked. Thanks for the quick response!

Garth

I also have no CPU temps after updating to 10.6.8 and updating iStat Menus. I can still get temps with iStat Pro widget and Temperature Monitor app.

My FakeSMC and plugins are in /Extra. Should they be in S/L/E instead?

rankrotten said:
I also have no CPU temps after updating to 10.6.8 and updating iStat Menus. I can still get temps with iStat Pro widget and Temperature Monitor app.

its weird i have not been able to get istat to show on the menubar temps (fan speed is fine) ut in the widget it works perfect for temps I ended up using temperature monitor or temperature monitor lite and if setup right i get temps in menu bar. Its freeware

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

FakeSMC plugins go in Extra/Extensions....

Installs the following FakeSMC plugins to allow software access to hardware monitors: ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext and SuperIOFamily.kext . Installed in /Extra/Extensions. Install with System Utilities tasks.

You can find out where all kexts should be installed by looking either in MultiBeast or the pdf that accompanies it.

SnapMan said:
FakeSMC plugins go in Extra/Extensions....
Yes that is where they reside.

I get fan speeds, hard drive temps, ambient, northbridge and GPU temps, CPU and RAM voltages but no CPU temps on one of my machines only - the H55N. It did show CPU temps with an older 3.05 build of iStat Menus.

The X58 correctly shows everything as it should. Both setups are identical.

rankrotten said:

i put all kexts (FakeSMC 3.10 and plugins) in S/L/E and iStat Menus 3.18 shows everything ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I have the same problem of my motherboard and cpu temps not showing.
I'm running 10.6.8 and iStat Menus 3.18.
Unfortunatley, i have not had motherboard or cpu temps showing prior to 10.6.8.

The motherboard is a MSI MS-7613.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/doc ... 262655#N33

I'm pretty sure that i should also have all temps showing on this hardware.
Can someone please help me with this?

Intel.....what have you tried to solve the problem? Does everything else appear to work?

Do you have FakeSMCPlugins installed....did you run System Utilities?

The new version of MultiBeast appears to have some changes including a slightly different Plugin setup....as well as some fixes for 10.6.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back