GTX 950
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone,

First time poster here. Having some issues with my first Hackintosh build. Here are the specific parts for my build:

-Asus Z97-A motherboard
-Intel i5-4690K (Haswell) CPU
-EVGA GTX 950 GPU
-Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD
-Crucial Ballistix 16GB RAM
-TP-Link Archer T8E Wireless Adapter
-Corsair CS550M PSU
-Lite-On 124-14 CD/DVD Drive
-Raidmax Viper GX Case (if it's relevant)

I referenced the Feb 2016 Buyer's Guide to ensure all of my parts were supported, hopefully to cut down on potential issues. I have all of my hardware installed in the case, and after a long night of tweaking the BIOS and installing/reinstalling OS X, I've decided to come here seeking assistance.

I have an old MacBook which I upgraded to Snow Leopard by purchasing the retail disc, so I decided to begin my Hackintosh journey with that disc. I had been following the iBoot + Multibeast Guide from the tonymacx86 (legacy) forum. I managed to partition my SSD and install OS X, but each time I attempt to run Multibeast to install drivers and additional modules, I encounter different issues such as: subsequent boots cannot recognize the USB drive that has Multibeast, ethernet functionality cannot be restored (stuck in boot at "...changing MTU from 0 to 1500"), and even getting stuck in boot with messages about the CPU not being recognized.

So now, I have re-installed Snow Leopard and re-booted using iBoot. I am in OS X now, booted from the SL installation and I can access my USB drive which has the SL Combo Update as well as the Multibeast Snow Leopard version. I have stopped here, because I think this is where my issues begin. I found a post on these forums where someone advised against using Multibeast until you download the newest OS version and create the Unibeast USB with the .dmg, and since I intend to upgrade from SL to El Capitan, I thought maybe I should follow those instructions. That user linked to this guide: Installing Snow Leopard on Haswell PCs. HOWEVER: I am not able to get OS X to boot without disabling the Intel LAN Controller. If I attempt to boot with it enabled, the boot process halts on the line that says "...changing MTU from 0 to 1500". Also, my wireless adapter, which I read was supposed to be recognized by OS X right out of the box, does not seem to be recognized at all, all of this meaning that my new SL install has no way of connecting to the Internet (unless I'm missing something here).

Can anyone guide me through the setup from this point? Is there any way to successfully boot with the LAN controller enabled? If necessary, I can use a wired network connection temporarily for this build. Regardless, any help would be MUCH appreciated!

P.S. I do have access to a MacBook; however, it is an early-2008 model that cannot upgrade to Mavericks or El Capitan, so I don't think I can prepare a Unibeast USB bootloader. I may be able to get the disk image file from a friend, but I'd like to worry about that only when I am at that point.

Hey everyone,

First time poster here. Having some issues with my first Hackintosh build. Here are the specific parts for my build:

-Asus Z97-A motherboard
-Intel i5-4690K (Haswell) CPU
-EVGA GTX 950 GPU
-Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD
-Crucial Ballistix 16GB RAM
-TP-Link Archer T8E Wireless Adapter
-Corsair CS550M PSU
-Lite-On 124-14 CD/DVD Drive
-Raidmax Viper GX Case (if it's relevant)

I referenced the Feb 2016 Buyer's Guide to ensure all of my parts were supported, hopefully to cut down on potential issues. I have all of my hardware installed in the case, and after a long night of tweaking the BIOS and installing/reinstalling OS X, I've decided to come here seeking assistance.

I have an old MacBook which I upgraded to Snow Leopard by purchasing the retail disc, so I decided to begin my Hackintosh journey with that disc. I had been following the iBoot + Multibeast Guide from the tonymacx86 (legacy) forum. I managed to partition my SSD and install OS X, but each time I attempt to run Multibeast to install drivers and additional modules, I encounter different issues...

Of course you encounter issues - there is nothing in the SL kernel or any of the drivers in SL MB that support Haswell hardware. iBoot Haswell will allow you to install SL, but only so you can update it to 10.6.8 so you can get the App Store and download whatever the latest free OS X install app is available.

So, once you install SL, download the 10.6.8 combo update and install it. Reboot with iBoot, launch the App Store and download El Capitan install app. Use UniBeast to create a UEFI USB installer and follow the guide at http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html to install.

@Butch2000

If you've got a Macbook Pro Early 2008 you are eligible to download El Capitan with that.
You can see the specs at Everymac.com You only need to have at least a mid/late 2007
Macbook Pro to be eligible. You've got at least 2GB of ram and 8 or more GB of HDD space ?

TRS 2016-03-12 at 8.24.33 PM.jpg

Click image to enlarge.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update, and rebooted using iBoot, but my issue here is I have no network interface detected. I have my wireless adapter installed in the PCI slot, but the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. My latest attempts have revolved around booting with the Intel LAN Controller enabled through the BIOS. My first attempt at booting with the LAN Controller enabled caused the boot process to stop on the following line:

Code:
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

On subsequent boots, I received this output:

image.jpg

However on one occasion, the computer successfully booted into OS X, but while booting, I noticed a line in the verbose output resembling "AppleIntelE1000e(Info): checksum invalid", and once into OS X, the Ethernet interface was not detected.

Do I need to "install" one of the Network kexts through Multibeast in order to establish a network interface? Or is there perhaps a boot flag or BIOS setting that still needs attention? Thanks again!

@Butch2000

If you've got a Macbook Pro Early 2008 you are eligible to download El Capitan with that.
You can see the specs at Everymac.com You only need to have at least a mid/late 2007
Macbook Pro to be eligible. You've got at least 2GB of ram and 8 or more GB of HDD space ?

View attachment 180772

Click image to enlarge.

I'll double-check my MacBook, last time I looked into it, my MacBook was like, the model right before the oldest eligible model. It's not an aluminum body. I'll check again though, if I can make the bootable USB from that, it'd be fantastic! I'm fairly certain it has 2GB RAM and plenty of HD space (>100GB). But I will note: mine is a plain old MB, not a MacBook Pro. Lemme check on the upgrade.

You could remove the wireless card altogether. It isn't going to help you get to the MAS.
You must have Ethernet identified as En0 in System Prefs -- Network. You should be
booting with the iBoot disk, not from the hard disk or SSD. Re boot a again and then you
should be able to get to the MAS.

I'll double-check my MacBook, last time I looked into it, my MacBook was like, the model right before the oldest eligible model. It's not an aluminum body. I'll check again though, if I can make the bootable USB from that, it'd be fantastic! I'm fairly certain it has 2GB RAM and plenty of HD space (>100GB). But I will note: mine is a plain old MB, not a MacBook Pro. Lemme check on the upgrade.

If it's a plain Macbook and not Pro then it needs to be the all Aluminum version, not the plastic ones.
Believe they started in late 2008.

If it's a plain Macbook and not Pro then it needs to be the all Aluminum version, not the plastic ones.
Believe they started in late 2008.

everyMac.com confirms it, my Macbook can only upgrade to OS X Lion 10.7.5:

Screen shot 2016-03-12 at 9.16.06 PM.jpg

You could remove the wireless card altogether. It isn't going to help you get to the MAS.
You must have Ethernet identified as En0 in System Prefs -- Network. You should be
booting with the iBoot disk, not from the hard disk or SSD. Re boot a again and then you
should be able to get to the MAS.

If the wireless card interferes, I can remove it. But to be absolutely clear, when you say to boot from the iBoot disc, you mean to boot from the CD (my computer will boot from the SSD by default, despite the boot order in the BIOS), but choose the Snow Leopard install from the Chimera menu, correct?

Last edited:
everyMac.com confirms it, my Macbook can only upgrade to OS X Lion 10.7.5:

View attachment 180784

If the wireless card interferes, I can remove it. But to be absolutely clear, when you say to boot from the iBoot disc, you mean to boot from the CD (my computer will boot from the SSD by default, despite the boot order in the BIOS), but choose the Snow Leopard install from the Chimera menu, correct?

Yes, you want to boot from the CD you made. After powering on, tap on the F12 or whatever key that brings up the boot menu. Select the CD/DVD drive. Then choose the Snow Leopard install. Do not try to boot directly from the Chimera bootloader itself if that is already installed to the SSD.

Okay, I just wanted to be sure.

Booting via the CD into my install works just fine...

*as long as my LAN Controller is disabled in the BIOS*

If I attempt to boot into the install through the CD with the LAN Controller enabled, it stalls on the
"AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500" line each time.

Is there a kext that needs installed or some Terminal commands that need to be ran in order to set up the Ethernet interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back