Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630, 4K
I upgraded my Dell XPS 15 9560 (i7-7700HQ, 4K touch screen) to Monterey. The systems works fine in general, except

1. The bluetooth (DW1830) is off after sleep. The bluettoth icon on menu bar shows on but no device. Bluetooth preference shows off and cannot be turn on.
On Big Sur it works most of the time. Sometime the mouse and keyboard won't connect but the BT shows on with device listed. Normally another sleep would bring it back.

1. Airdrop works one way; It works from iPhone to Mac, but not vice versa. Worked fine on Big Sur.
  2. Sidecar can see iPad but won't connect. External monitor (connected to USC-C port or HDMI) cannot be detected at all. They all worked fine on Big Sur.
Configuration wise, I removed BrcmBluetoothInjector and used BlueToolFixup, BrcmBTFirmware, BrcmPatchRAM3 and FeatureUnlock kexts, all latest version on OC 0.7.The Enable BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspo patch is replaced with Kernel -> Quirks -> ExtendBTFeatureFlags setting to true.

Any pointers?

The config.plist and the USBPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist files are attached here. The HackinTool USB screenshot is below:

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 22.49.12.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    40.7 KB · Views: 64
  • USBPorts-Info.plist
    3.2 KB · Views: 56

I tried rc.wakeup script and it seemed working. I tried it once then upgraded to 12.1, hoping the problems would be fixed but they are not.

• Airdrop still worked one way, from iPhone to Mac.
    • The funny thing is that when iPhone was on 15.1.1, Mac to iPhone airdrop won't work, but if I also open my iPad, Mac showed two airdrop receivers and a file can be airdropped from Mac to iPhone.
    • When iPhone was upgraded to 15.2, this trick won't work any more. I guess that Apple engineer saw a problem and did some fix, but only made it worse.
  • Sidecar and external monitor through Type-C port still work working.

Anyone experiencing the same problem? I am seriously thinking of going back to Big Sur. Anyway to reinstall Big Sur without repartition the hard drive?

check my Monterey guide/config.plist everything works as it should with my configuration and files

check my Monterey guide/config.plist everything works as it should with my configuration and files

I followed your Inspiron installation guide. Using the same Kexts and Kernel Quirks. Largely the same behavior
  1. Bluetooth is off after wake up
  2. Airdrop only works one way, from iPhone to Mac
  3. Sidecar and external monitor on type-C not working

The only difference is now Bluetooth is now not shown at all on both Hackintool and System Reboot while BT was shown on both place with my own set of Kexts and Quirks.

It seems quite some people run into the same issue. I will most likely reinstall Big Sur during the weekend.

I followed your Inspiron installation guide. Using the same Kexts and Kernel Quirks. Largely the same behavior
  1. Bluetooth is off after wake up
  2. Airdrop only works one way, from iPhone to Mac
  3. Sidecar and external monitor on type-C not working

The only difference is now Bluetooth is now not shown at all on both Hackintool and System Reboot while BT was shown on both place with my own set of Kexts and Quirks.

It seems quite some people run into the same issue. I will most likely reinstall Big Sur during the weekend.
you need to let brcmfirmwaredata load before all the other wifi/bluetooth kexts

you need to let brcmfirmwaredata load before all the other wifi/bluetooth kexts

Yes, it has been loaded before BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BlueToolFixup.kext

Yes, it has been loaded before BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BlueToolFixup.kext
post your NEW config. the older one posted shows an array of improper loading sequence

edit; you are also loading brcm4360 injector kext when you should only load brcmnic kext
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 8.00.31 PM.png

this is how my kext loading order looks

Last edited:
post your NEW config. the older one posted shows an array of improper loading sequence

edit; you are also loading brcm4360 injector kext when you should only load brcmnic kext

Thanks much for the reply. I replaced the DW1830 with an older DW1560, and surprisingly the older DW1560 works better. The bluetooth works well, even after sleep, while DW1830's bluetooth may even shutdown itself before going to sleep (using the my own config_1.plist).

I tried to replace the Kernel->Add section with your selection of kexts and order (config_2.plist), still using DW1560. The behavior is the same. Bluetooth works after sleep, but
  • Airdrop still works only one way, from iPhone to Mac. Wired thing is that Mac to iPhone actually worked a few times when I first boot with DW1560.
  • Sidecar works when iPad is connected to Mac through a cable. Mac still cannot connect to iPad on wireless.
  • USB-C/DisplayPort still does not work with external monitor.
For the time being I would hang on with Monterey with bluetooth not being a pressing issue and will wait for patches to fix the above issues. I may also try the config_2.plist with DW1830 and see if it behaves differently.

Attachments

• config_1.plist
    40.3 KB · Views: 42
  • config_2.plist
    36.5 KB · Views: 47
Thanks much for the reply. I replaced the DW1830 with an older DW1560, and surprisingly the older DW1560 works better. The bluetooth works well, even after sleep, while DW1830's bluetooth may even shutdown itself before going to sleep (using the my own config_1.plist).

I tried to replace the Kernel->Add section with your selection of kexts and order (config_2.plist), still using DW1560. The behavior is the same. Bluetooth works after sleep, but
  • Airdrop still works only one way, from iPhone to Mac. Wired thing is that Mac to iPhone actually worked a few times when I first boot with DW1560.
  • Sidecar works when iPad is connected to Mac through a cable. Mac still cannot connect to iPad on wireless.
  • USB-C/DisplayPort still does not work with external monitor.
For the time being I would hang on with Monterey with bluetooth not being a pressing issue and will wait for patches to fix the above issues. I may also try the config_2.plist with DW1830 and see if it behaves differently.
your config.plist still shows loading order is incorrect. you're also loading Bluetool and bluuetoothinjector you should only load 1. (off topic ) also for display to work with usb-c you need to have all the properties setup for this to work. have you tried connecting the monitor and closing the laptop lid and re opening after a few seconds? is the usb-c a thunderbolt or just a usb-c port with display capabilities? try adding -igfxtypec to your boot args

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back