CPU
Q9650
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After a reinstall, finally got Sierra up and running on this beast, but it still feels very much like a kludge. As I suspected, one needs to use KextBeast—simply dropping the kexts into the appropriate folders won't work.

I'm using the iMac10,1 sysdef and DSDT for my Gigabyte board. Clover is the latest from SourceForge (3675). As I've had DSDT issues with Clover on my old MacPro3,1/El Capitan config, I'm beginning to wonder if that's the problem—the old one worked better without a DSDT. I do have Clover Configurator, but haven't messed with it yet.

Issue 1: Continuing graphics troubles. Since I've got a Maxwell-based card now (GTX 750ti), I need the nVidia web drivers. The first one (367.10.07.05) was causing my Hackintosh to shake shake shake its rebooty; it would only boot with the 'nv_disable=1' flag. The latest (367.10.10.10) simply refuses to load, even with the 'nvda_drv=1' flag and "Use nVidia Web Drivers" chosen in System Preferences.

Issue 2: Can't update to Beta 3. The App Store works all right, but clicking "updates" shows only the Beta 3 is available (I've got the original Beta 1). Trying to update this gets stuck on "Calculating, 0 bytes of 1.81 GB downloaded".

Issue 3: Half my USB ports don't work. I found this out after my USB mouse (not the Magic Trackpad—I haven't even tried Bluetooth yet) failed to work after getting Clover and the kexts installed. I had to plug the mouse into several ports to find one that worked.

Issue 4: No audio (and therefore no Siri). No surprise here; I haven't installed the audio kext(s).

I'm using the iMac10,1 sysdef and DSDT for my Gigabyte board.

With this I would try to use the 14,1 iMac sysdef, I use it and there have been no problems, MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS.

Issue 3: Half my USB ports don't work. I found this out after my USB mouse (not the Magic Trackpad—I haven't even tried Bluetooth yet) failed to work after getting Clover and the kexts installed. I had to plug the mouse into several ports to find one that worked.

There is a DSDT patch and a patch that is included in the Multibeast Tools, use what you will its your decision make sure you have the MaciASL repos that are on the forum.

Experiment with caution, backup everything prior.

With this I would try to use the 14,1 iMac sysdef, I use it and there have been no problems, MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS.

As has been stated before, iMac14,1 is not appropriate for my old hardware.

As for a backup, I keep a (paper) logbook and use a clean-room approach, even going so far as to keep my Sierra install on a separate internal hard drive, with its own Clover EFI partition, physically disconnected from the system when not in use; when Sierra is in use, my El Capitan hard drive is disconnected, along with any extraneous USB and FireWire devices—including that all-important Time Machine drive. If anything on the Sierra system breaks, I just erase it and start over.

There is a DSDT patch and a patch that is included in the Multibeast Tools, use what you will its your decision make sure you have the MaciASL repos that are on the forum.

Experiment with caution, backup everything prior.

I don't mess with a DSDT anymore; I consider it a throwback to Lion/Chimera days, and using one seems to cause more problems than it solves. I did take a look at the Gigabyte EP45 DSDT with MaciASL, and copied the necessary data, along with grabs from System Info, into the config.plist with Clover Configurator. The system boots faster now, FWIW.

I also generated a new S/N and UUID, hoping this would help with update issues à la iMessage and FaceTime. It didn't. After waiting more than 3 hours stuck on "Calculating, 0 bytes of 1.81 GB downloaded" I re-downloaded the Sierra Beta installer, and noted that it's a new version (12.0.32—I had 12.0.26). Re-did the install USB in the hopes that this might cure the updating woes.

For issue #1 see this post - worked for me!

I'll try that after the update. TIA.

Reinstalled Sierra using the updated installer. As I suspected, this was Beta 3. Updated to Beta 4 without (further) issues, so Issue 2 above is solved. Also, USB seems to be working OK now, so I'm (provisionally) considering Issue 3 solved as well.

Alas, even with the patched kexts from El Capitan installed, audio is still broken. As this was also a problem during my (cursory) tests with running El Cap using the iMac10,1 sysdef, I'll file this as "work in progress" for now, especially since Sierra likely will require an all-new patching process for audio in a future version of MultiBeast.

Which leaves Issue 1: graphics. Following Claes' advice, I checked the status of "nvram nvda_drv" after installing the driver; the reply was "Error getting variable - 'nvda_drv': (iokit/common) data was not found". After doing "sudo nvram nvda_drv=1" (and also making sure nVidia Driver Preferences was properly set) and then rebooting, I got the same result—boot appeared normal, but no acceleration.

About This Mac identifies my machine as "iMac 21.5 inch (Late 2009)". It should be identified as a 27", since those had the discrete graphics. Perhaps I need to change something in Clover Configurator again?

For the record, I only have the one GTX 750ti card and one monitor, connected via HDMI (not dual-link). Not sure what good EmuVariableUEFI will do, since this is a legacy-boot setup, but I'll install it with the latest Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back