Graphics
Geforce GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So a few days ago I updated Safari and also downloaded some security updates through App Store. I know I shouldn't have, but Safari wasn't working ok so I decided I would give it a try. Before updating, I made a full back up with Time Machine. Then the update went ok, computer restarted and the apple loading screen took much longer than usual (I thought this was normal after updating). Once it fully loaded an installation window popped up saying something like "Installing High Sierra on Main Drive" along with the progress bar. It took me less than 5 seconds to shut down the computer before this went any further. There was no prompt to confirm this installation or whatsoever. So then I turned on my pc, now to see there was a new icon (see attachment) in the Clover boot selector I didn't realise was already there when the pc restarted after updating. This new boot option is "Boot macOS Install from Main Drive", and replaced "Boot macOS from Main Drive" as the default boot option to go when the countdown ends for the automatic boot. (Installation/recovery USB wasn't connected at no point).

So now I have some problems and worries.

1) Everything seems to be working ok as it did before when I choose "Boot macOS from Main Drive". There is absolutely nothing different in my pc except for a new folder on Main Drive named "macOS Install Data" (see attachment) and some new files in both Library folders I could see were modified at the time of the interrupted Installation. (Also, Safari works much better now). I'm worried some problem may arise at some point in the future if I choose not to restore my computer with time machine right before the updates. The updates aren't the issues. I am worried about the possibility of some important files to have been overwritten, and also data loss. Even though I shut down just seconds after this installation began, the previous apple loading screen took ages and I didn't act.

2) I'm worried Time Machine may fail restoring my computer considering it's a Hackintosh and I've never tried it before. Maybe there is nothing to worry about and restoring is risky and unnecessary.

3) Auto-boot default is now "Boot macOS Install from Main Drive" instead of "Boot macOS from Main Drive", so every time I turn my computer on I have to choose the right boot option before the countdown ends. I tried changing the default boot option using Clover Configurator or even deleting this unwanted install boot option but I failed. I can remember removing different boot options and changing the default one with no problems when I built this Hackintosh. I tried different ways but it is clear I'm doing something wrong, it seems I forgot how to.

I need some expert help here. I'm not comfortable with my computer now. I keep new files in a new folder in my desktop and every time I have to edit some pre-existing file I move it to this folder in case the right way to go is to restore with Time Machine, to then paste these files and sort them out after restoration... it's been a few days now.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-7081.JPG
    IMG-7081.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 18.47.45.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 18.47.45.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 60
That's OK. A system update will prepare the update, that is setting up a disk image from which to install the new system, and then reboot to install; there may be one further reboot to finish and it's done. The default boot drive automagically changes in NVRAM along the way. A hackintosh with working NVRAM handles this as well as a real Mac, without any human intervention.

You shouldn't have interrupted the process, but all you need is to reboot from "Boot macOS Install from Main Drive" (the update disk image) to continue. If you're concerned you might have altered the update files, initiate the update process again from System Preferences.
You should end up with an updated system, no extra boot entry (it removes itself upon completion) and default boot back to your main drive.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I was so worried I might have messed up. This is the first time I'm updating High Sierra. Back when I used Snow Leopard and much more recently with Mojave the update interface wasn't like this. By the way, what do you mean by the control panel? Is it system preferences? The security update (2020-005 10.13.6) is still showing up in App Store. Tomorrow I'll initiate the update again and will let you know how everything went. Thanks again!!!

Yes. I've corrected my terminology. Thanks.

That's OK. A system update will prepare the update, that is setting up a disk image from which to install the new system, and then reboot to install; there may be one further reboot to finish and it's done. The default boot drive automagically changes in NVRAM along the way. A hackintosh with working NVRAM handles this as well as a real Mac, without any human intervention.

You shouldn't have interrupted the process, but all you need is to reboot from "Boot macOS Install from Main Drive" (the update disk image) to continue. If you're concerned you might have altered the update files, initiate the update process again from System Preferences.
You should end up with an updated system, no extra boot entry (it removes itself upon completion) and default boot back to your main drive.
Everything OK now. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back