CPU
3.59 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4096 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey I just purchased a new samsung 850 EVO HD to replace my old 128 GB HD. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone. Afterwards I installed clover and copied the EFI using Clover Configurator. When I tried to boot it just sticks on the "loading operating system..." page. When I initially installed Yosemite I didn't use clover so I'm not sure if this is causing the issues, I also saw in another thread that a person first formatted to HFS+ whereas I formatted mine to Mac OS Extended Journaled - could this be the problem?

I have a USB Drive that I was going to use to update to Sierra plugged in now and for some reason when I choose to boot from this drive it allows me to boot my harddrive (into yosemite), but I have no idea why. Also when I boot this way none of my audio works.

Hey I just purchased a new samsung 850 EVO HD to replace my old 128 GB HD. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone. Afterwards I installed clover and copied the EFI using Clover Configurator. When I tried to boot it just sticks on the "loading operating system..." page. When I initially installed Yosemite I didn't use clover so I'm not sure if this is causing the issues, I also saw in another thread that a person first formatted to HFS+ whereas I formatted mine to Mac OS Extended Journaled - could this be the problem?

I have a USB Drive that I was going to use to update to Sierra plugged in now and for some reason when I choose to boot from this drive it allows me to boot my harddrive (into yosemite), but I have no idea why. Also when I boot this way none of my audio works.

Hi there.

First thing, I would check the format of your new EFI partition on the SSD. It should be 'MS-DOS' although the main partition is Mac OS Extended Journalled etc

Just mount it and right-click the partition, then get-info etc

:)

Hi there.

First thing, I would check the format of your new EFI partition on the SSD. It should be 'MS-DOS' although the main partition is Mac OS Extended Journalled etc

Just mount it and right-click the partition, then get-info etc

Thanks for the response! I checked and it says it is "MS-DOS (FAT32). Any other ideas?

Thanks for the response! I checked and it says it is "MS-DOS (FAT32). Any other ideas?

Ok, try booting with the -x flag so that you boot with no extra kexts, and see if that helps to isolate the problem.

Also, use -v to see where the boot process is stalling.

If you feel confident enough, rename the config.plist in your EFI/CLOVER directory to config.old, or something similar, and then copy the config.plist from your UniBeast stick into place. (If this fails to help you can always rename/copy back etc) I only suggest this because you say the UniBeast USB stick boots ok etc... If that works then check out what it different about the UniBeast config.

You'd probably be better to install Clover to the ESP then copy the old EFI Folder from the old drive to the new EFI Partition.

You'd probably be better to install Clover to the ESP then copy the old EFI Folder from the old drive to the new EFI Partition.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is an ESP?

Ok, try booting with the -x flag so that you boot with no extra kexts, and see if that helps to isolate the problem.

Also, use -v to see where the boot process is stalling.

If you feel confident enough, rename the config.plist in your EFI/CLOVER directory to config.old, or something similar, and then copy the config.plist from your UniBeast stick into place. (If this fails to help you can always rename/copy back etc) I only suggest this because you say the UniBeast USB stick boots ok etc... If that works then check out what it different about the UniBeast config.

Thanks I will try this, one thing I forgot to mention is that I had never installed clover on my first harddrive and had installed Yosemite using Multibeast a while ago. Could this be part of the issue?

Thanks I will try this, one thing I forgot to mention is that I had never installed clover on my first harddrive and had installed Yosemite using Multibeast a while ago. Could this be part of the issue?

Hi :)

Yes, it could be. If you installed Clover to boot Yosemite (instead of Chimera) I can understand what @VioletDragon means - by just copying a previous EFI folder into place will actually overwrite any newly created EFI installation of Clover, with the old one that might be causing the problem.

You could try making a fresh install of Clover to the ESP - this is the hidden EFI partition - and then put back any differences from your original EFI folder tree, such as necessary extra kexts or *.aml files etc. Maybe your original config.plist is causing a problem - that's why I recommended the UniBeast version before as a starting point.

Hi :)

Yes, it could be. If you installed Clover to boot Yosemite (instead of Chimera) I can understand what @VioletDragon means - by just copying a previous EFI folder into place will actually overwrite any newly created EFI installation of Clover, with the old one that might be causing the problem.

You could try making a fresh install of Clover to the ESP - this is the hidden EFI partition - and then put back any differences from your original EFI folder tree, such as necessary extra kexts or *.aml files etc. Maybe your original config.plist is causing a problem - that's why I recommended the UniBeast version before as a starting point.

Just so I don't mess anything up, what I should do is:

1. Use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on my old Hard Drive.
2. Open Clover and choose the old Hard Drives EFI as the destination for install
3. Restart the computer
4. Look at a side by side comparison of the two EFI's on the old Hard Drive, and add/swap out files in the new EFI for anything on the old EFI that is different
5. Replace the EFI on the new Hard drive for the EFI that I just built

Is this right?

Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back