Contribute
Register

Issue with Multi Monitor on 10.13.5, Intel UHD 630 (Z370 chipset)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
Intel HD 630 + GT 710
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. PowerBook
I have been banging my head against the wall with this and I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer. Booting with multiple monitors on the iGPU (one on HDMI, one on DisplayPort) causes display garbling / banded GUI artifacts for me on 10.13.5 using the standard Intel 6xx graphics driver, Intel graphics fixup, and system definition 14,2. If you boot with just the HDMI or DisplayPort plugged in by itself, and then plug the other monitor in after you've logged in, multi-monitor seems to work without issue.

I have tried:
1. uefi with nvram - Changed when the display issue started during the bootup, but no improvement
2. Various other system definitions - Some of the other iMac system definitions resulted in the second monitor being completely black, others in the garbled/banded gui, but no improvement
3. varius bios settings related to graphics – no help

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

PS: I was planning on adding a graphics card to this build at some point down the road. When I do get to that point, which graphics card Manufacturer/chip Is the most compatible with multi monitor and proper function of sleep? Thank you!

PS: Thank you to Mod who moved this to 'Graphics' forum, that makes more sense; thanks in advance for any advice!

I have been banging my head against the wall with this and I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer. Booting with multiple monitors on the iGPU (one on HDMI, one on DisplayPort) causes display garbling / banded GUI artifacts for me on 10.13.5 using the standard Intel 6xx graphics driver, Intel graphics fixup, and system definition 14,2. If you boot with just the HDMI or DisplayPort plugged in by itself, and then plug the other monitor in after you've logged in, multi-monitor seems to work without issue.

I have tried:
1. uefi with nvram - Changed when the display issue started during the bootup, but no improvement
2. Various other system definitions - Some of the other iMac system definitions resulted in the second monitor being completely black, others in the garbled/banded gui, but no improvement
3. varius bios settings related to graphics – no help

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

PS: I was planning on adding a graphics card to this build at some point down the road. When I do get to that point, which graphics card Manufacturer/chip Is the most compatible with multi monitor and proper function of sleep? Thank you!

Dual monitor on Coffee Lake iGPU is a known issue (according to RehabMan's post), and at this point there is no solution other than yours (leaving one unplugged until after log-in). AMD graphics cards are best for compatibility due to native support by macOS. You can read this sticky post for more details.

Last edited:
Dual monitor on Coffee Lake iGPU is a known issue (according to RehabMan's post), and at this point there is no solution other than yours (leaving one unplugged until after log-in). AMD graphics cards are best for compatibility due to native support by macOS. You can read this sticky post for more details.

Thanks, for some reason I thought there was a solution that I just wasn't finding in the forum. Good to know that there is not one yet, good excuse to get a video card. :) Thank you.

PS: a note about the referenced post – leaving one monitor off is not sufficient in the case of my z370 motherboard, you have to physically unplug the cable until after login.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back