Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm dual-booting Yosemite and Windows 10 on a single SSD so I can use my HDD long term, but I'm running into an issue. I've installed Yosemite and it works rather well with very little issue. However, when I got to install Windows 10 on partition 2, which I've formatted to be GUID (I've also tried MBR), I get the "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table" message.

The shift+10, diskpart solution works, but when I list disks, it only shows me the SSD with no partitions, so I have to erase my OS X install to partition it.:banghead:

When I went the route of installing Windows first, I never received that error. The problem then was that I couldn't partition my drive to then install OS X. I'm using MultiBeast for this, loosely following this tutorial.

Any help?

I'm dual-booting Yosemite and Windows 10 on a single SSD so I can use my HDD long term, but I'm running into an issue. I've installed Yosemite and it works rather well with very little issue. However, when I got to install Windows 10 on partition 2, which I've formatted to be GUID (I've also tried MBR), I get the "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table" message.

The shift+10, diskpart solution works, but when I list disks, it only shows me the SSD with no partitions, so I have to erase my OS X install to partition it.:banghead:

When I went the route of installing Windows first, I never received that error. The problem then was that I couldn't partition my drive to then install OS X. I'm using MultiBeast for this, loosely following this tutorial.

Any help?

Since you formatted the 2nd partition with MBR FAT32 once you got a hybrid partition and Windows will not install on it UEFI.

Launch Disk Utility
Select the SSD in the left pane
Select partition
in the right pane the box shows 2 partitions.
click in the bottom partition, click on the "-" button below to delete the partition
click on the partition button to complete it and leave the area as free space.
using the mouse pointer in the lower right corner of the top partition, stretch the top partition to include all of the free space. click on the partition button to complete the action.

You now have a fully GPT+ formatted SSD without any hybrid partitions.
Now you can go back to disk utility and add a partition for Windows, this time format it OS X Extended Journaled as if you wer going to install OS X.

Reboot to the Windows installer and select the HFS+ partition, reformat it NTFS and install Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back