Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Issue Installing 10.14.4 - An error occured valdating the installer or An error occured preparing installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H170-DS3H-F22
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Hello all,

This is my first issue post, so I'm going to do my best to provide you with all the information I can based upon the rules and other posts I've seen.

Note: I was able to install and run 10.14.3 prior, but I messed up my 10.14.4 and decided to try to fresh install, and now here we are.

To start off, my build is as is in my profile:
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H rev1 with F22 Bios
GPU: Onboard Intel 530 HD
CPU: Intel i5-6500
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
RAM: Timetec Hynix 16GB DDR4 2133

Presently, the only connections are the keyboard (Apple Pro Keyboard, with Apple Pro Mouse, and SSD)

Problem: When attempting to install 10.14.4 as a FRESH install, I get either the error: An error occured valdatiing the installer, or An error occurred preparing the installer.

Process:

I began with creating an installer on Unibeast. I downloaded the Install macOS Mojave using both Apple, and then through the Mojave Patcher tool. The current file sits at just over 6 GB, which from what I have read tells me this is the correct file. Using that and Unibeast 9.1.0, I ran the app. And received the error, An error occured preparing installation. Next I tried patching Clover to the newer version which is 4895 (unibeast has 4862 i believe.) Received error occured validating the installer. From there I began to add drivers to the drivers. First I attempted to install with: EmuVariableUefi.drv, and then OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi as I read in other posts this helped with some other folks attempts at earlier installs. Next I checked my Bios Settings against the guide for installing Mojave, and made sure they were correct again. After that I started going through different kexts trying to see if they would improve, and each and every time it seemed to be the same problem. I tried formatting the Target SSD as both HFS, and APFS, no love there either. Maybe its something simple, maybe its something with 10.14.4, I am a bit stumped from here. I did get a wonderful education in Clover, Clover Configurator, and Hackintool, and built a nice little tool/kext/driver folder on my NAS.

Note: Installer will only recognize my USB 3.0 ports, and not my USB 2.0 Ports. Installer USB is USB 2.0 in a USB 3.0 port. Any attempt to install from USB 2.0 port results in a prohibtory sign.

Any help would be appreciated, submitted below, for your approval are my config, a screen shot of the error, as well as screen shots of my kext and drivers folders.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20190401_212133.jpg
    IMG_20190401_212133.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,383
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.53.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.53.48 PM.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.53.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.53.59 PM.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 315
Some updates:

Tried installing High Sierra and received same series of errors. Used the Unibeast and verfied shasum of High Sierra Installer. (Verified Shasum of Mojave Installer while I was at it too, both checked out.) Would not install to SSD. Switched to Toshiba HDD, and was able to get past first part of install, and reboot. (Couldn't continue from there, problem for another forum.) Attempted to install Mojave on Toshiba HDD, same error. Therefore ruled out Hard Drive.

Loaded Pastrychef's EFI data from here. No added effect. Also reset BIOS settings with Load Optimized Defaults again.

I did notice my Clover Configurator was out of date, so in attempt to rule out firmware, I updated that, and updated my SMBIOS for the Mojave install. Attempted both iMac17,1 (for skylake) and iMac 14,2 (for vanilla install attempt.) Neither proved successful. Attempting High Sierra again to see if I can get at least a working copy of macOS running on the hackintosh.

It seems clear at this point that either I have an issue with setting up the conflig.plist, or there is something going on with the hardware. I have everything disconnected that isn't the hard drive, the USB drive, keyboard, and mouse, RAM and CPU fans. Everything else is disconnected.

I've attached my current EFI to this post as well.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
Some updates:

Tried installing High Sierra and received same series of errors. Used the Unibeast and verfied shasum of High Sierra Installer. (Verified Shasum of Mojave Installer while I was at it too, both checked out.) Would not install to SSD. Switched to Toshiba HDD, and was able to get past first part of install, and reboot. (Couldn't continue from there, problem for another forum.) Attempted to install Mojave on Toshiba HDD, same error. Therefore ruled out Hard Drive.

Loaded Pastrychef's EFI data from here. No added effect. Also reset BIOS settings with Load Optimized Defaults again.

I did notice my Clover Configurator was out of date, so in attempt to rule out firmware, I updated that, and updated my SMBIOS for the Mojave install. Attempted both iMac17,1 (for skylake) and iMac 14,2 (for vanilla install attempt.) Neither proved successful. Attempting High Sierra again to see if I can get at least a working copy of macOS running on the hackintosh.

It seems clear at this point that either I have an issue with setting up the conflig.plist, or there is something going on with the hardware. I have everything disconnected that isn't the hard drive, the USB drive, keyboard, and mouse, RAM and CPU fans. Everything else is disconnected.

I've attached my current EFI to this post as well.

Hi there,

Not sure this is going to help because you seem to have been running 10.14.3 fine previously but ...

In the Acpi section of config.plist do you actually need the "change SAT0 to SATA" patch? (You can double-check using IORegistryExplorer.app).

I would try without.

You can always create a second config.plist without the patch, give the file a new, slightly different name and save it in the CLOVER folder. When you boot to the Clover menu, go to Options and select which config to use. Handy for quick testing and reverting if necessary :thumbup:

I appreciate the feedback and gave that a try. Same result unfortunatley. I had the SAT0 to SATA patch because I read on a couple of posts that this was for Skylake Chips like mine.

So I went back to the drawing board. I started a fresh copy of Unibeast, and I was able to locate a copy of 10.14.3, that I verified through Shasum and used that. Same result.

I then attempted installing via USB3 device. Same result.

I then pulled a RAM chip, bringing me down to 8GB of RAM, same result.

I've attached my EFI folder from the USB3, and maybe a better screen shot of the Install Log. May attempt a Sierra installation this week.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190403_182538.jpg
    IMG_20190403_182538.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 363
Okay.

I've run through the EFI folder. The config.plist in there has no 'bloat' so shouldn't be causing problems.

Certainly the H170 shouldn't need much 'tweaking' to get it to install macOS. That you can no-longer install 10.14.3 either suggests something more basic has gone awry... Recheck BIOS settings:

Peripherals: XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
Peripherals: Super IO Configuration = Disabled (Parallel and Serial ports)
Chipset: VT-d = Disabled
BIOS Features: Storage Boot Option Control = UEFI Only

...and disk formats.

Last edited:
Utter, thank you so much for your help.

It was a RAM issue.

It was a fundamental issue, and I figured it out when I went to try and install Sierra. Could not get past 11 minutes, and finally after reading Sierra posts I started moving RAM around to different slots, and finally found the right slot, and installed Sierra to HDD. Then I went back and installed Mojave to SSD.

I am now back at 10.14.3 and I will clone the drive immediatley, and change thread status to Solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back